Uber is not a cab service, but a rideshare platform that allows you to request a driver using his/her own vehicle and this service is available most cities across America and around the world. Uber connects passengers with private drivers through their iPhone and Android phones. The service uses a dispatch app when a passenger pings for a ride to send the nearest driver to your location. Uber is a cashless service; they charge your ride directly to the credit card on file with your account. This article will walk you through the process on how to request a car.
Uber vehicle options:
There are five different types of car services available on uber, depending on the city you live in. Use the slider at the bottom of the app to choose your car preference. The five car options provided to you are:
- Black Car – This is Uber’s original vehicle service. If you chose the Black Car as your option, a high-end sedan will be sending to your location.
- Taxi – This one is self explanatory, it’s a normal taxi, only difference is this taxi has an agreement with Uber and you can pay through the app.
- UberX – This Uber’s vehicle option is budget friendly, an everyday car will be sent to your location with seating for up to 4 people.
- SUV – This is a large vehicle that will be seating for up to six people. This is much more expensive than the black car service.
- LUX –A high-end luxury car to your location with seating for up to 4 people. This Uber’s option is the most expensive car service.
Ping your location.
- Once you settle on the type of vehicle you want to request (UberX, UberXL, UberSELECT…)
- Drag the pin to the blue dot on the map to mark your location. This blue dot represents your actual location and so that’s where the Uber driver will be picking you up.
- Or you can enter your pickup location manually.
- Tap the “Set Pickup Location” button once your location is set.
- After confirming your selection, you will be given the option to pay with any credit or debit card or Uber credit that you saved on your account. This option is automatically turned on.
Wait for your ride at the pickup location.
Do not go back and forth while your driver is en route to get you, your driver will not know your pick up location other than the one you’re first submitted on the apps. You will end up losing the driver’s valuable time as well as your while searching for you. You will be given time estimation in minutes on when your ride will arrive. If there was no car available in your area, wait a few minutes and try again. A driver might become available after dropping his/her passengers in your current location.
- The Uber app will provide you with a phone number to reach your driver. You can use it to contact the driver if you have any special instructions; such as gate code etc…
- If you want to cancel your car reservation for any reason, you have to do so before 5 minutes, otherwise you’ll be charged a $5 fee.
How to Use Uber Online
What if your phone is dead, is there another way to request Uber?If your phone is dead, or your uber app is acting up, you can make a request for an Uber online. You can use your laptop, desktop, or even your tablet or iPads to ping for an Uber. Obviously you’d have to have internet access. Here’s how to use uber online to request for an Uber:
- Go to http://m.uber.com
- Enter your login info. (click on “Allow” for automatic location detected in your browser)
- If your device can’t detect your exact location; in other words if the automatic location does not work, you can enter your current location in the search box
- You can also move the “set pickup location” pointer or pin on the map to where you want to be picked up.
- That’s it! Enjoy your ride! This is how to use Uber to request for your ride.
- Don’t forget that if you’re a first time rider use the uber promo code YCAE8H21UE for a free $20 ride
Can you send someone an Uber?
To request a ride for a friend, or a family member, the process is simple. Here’s how you do this:
- Open your uber rider app.
- Set the pickup location to your friend’s current location (not yours).
- It’s best to enter the person destination you’re requested the ride for ahead of time.
- I’d advise you call the driver assigned to you by Uber, so you can tell them whom they’ve actually picking up and provide your uber driver with a few details and descriptions of your friend/the person they’re picking up.
Rate your drivers fairly
Uber drivers depend on your ratings; any drivers with less than 4.6 average in ratings will get dropped from the rideshare platform by Uber. A 5 star rating is much more acknowledged by uber as a positive one. Any number less than 5 may cause the driver to lose his/her spot and as a result fewer drivers will be available next time you call and that can cause a surge. Knowing how to use uber is crucial for a less stressful and convenient uber ride.