Coconut oil is one of the most effective and widely-used beauty products. The editor-favorite can be used for everything from a facial moisturizer to a shaving cream, and the possibilities are endless. It also happens to work wonders for hair whether you’re looking for a weekly conditioning treatment or need to revive over-processed and heat-damaged strands.
Fatty acids like lauric acid and linolec acid, in addition to Vitamin E, are all present in coconut oil and are ingredients that help prevent hair’s protein loss so that it has more strength and less breakage occurs. Coconut oil is 100% natural which means it is free of drying alcohol, silicones and other chemicals that usually do more harm than good and is comparable (if not better) than highly-formulated treatments. Unlike other hair oils that just coat strands and sits on the hair, coconut penetrates the hair shaft, past the cuticle, to truly repair and restore damage from the source. Here, 7 reasons why you should be using coconut oil for hair.
Control flyaways and tame frizz by running your hands through your hair with a small amount of coconut oil. It will help smooth out strands without a greasy or oily finish.
When massaged onto the scalp, coconut oil will improve blood circulation that supports hair growth. Using gentle pressure, try this 3 to 4 times a week to help prevent hair loss, too.
For a deep conditioning treatment without harsh chemicals apply a generous amount of coconut oil for hair from roots to ends before bed. Then comb it and then tie into a loose bun and sleep with it overnight. Or try one of these DIY coconut oil hair masks.
Given its antimicrobial nature, coconut oil makes a good anti-dandruff treatment. Simply massage a small amount into the scalp and let it sit for 15 minutes before shampooing it out.
If you’re between haircuts and need a quick split-end-saver, applying coconut oil on your ends will help hydrate them and reduce the appearance of splits.
For unruly manes, apply oil mid-shaft to ends on wet hair post-showering and use it as a detangler that also doubles as a moisturizer for your locks.
Now that you know how to use coconut oil for hair health, consistent use in your haircare regimen will promote healthy hair growth and added natural shine. That is reason enough to get on the coconut oil bandwagon!
[ Next: That Oil Pulling Thing: Explained ]
Is Coconut Oil Good for Your Hair?
Many mainstream hair care products are laden with harsh chemicals which can contribute to the dryness or oiliness of your scalp. Coconut oil is a great way to soothe damaged hair due to its antioxidant, anti-fungal and antibacterial properties.
So is coconut oil good for your hair? If you find your hair is thinning, coconut oil for hair loss could be your answer. It works to improve the health of your scalp while warding off infections and stimulating hair follicles.
Let’s find out more about how coconut oil works for stimulating hair growth.
The Benefits of Coconut Oil For Hair Growth
Dealing with thinning, brittle or overly fragile hair can be a traumatic experience for both men and women. Coconut oil is a versatile product which provides a myriad of hair health benefits for both sexes.
Contrary to what you may think, coconut oil doesn’t fall into the same category as many over-priced ”health oils” on the market today. It’s an affordable, effective and 100% natural product with proven benefits!
Does Coconut Oil Help Your Hair Grow?
Before turning to prescription medications to encourage hair growth, it may be worth taking a look at your diet, way of life and current hair treatment regime. Try and work on the health of your hair from the inside out. Incorporating omega-3 fatty acids, chia seeds, flax seeds and green tea can all help with hair growth. Turn to coconut oil for hair growth by incorporating this into your hair care regimen by using it as a conditioner, detangler and hair treatment.
Coconut oil is an incredible product because it’s known to deeply penetrate the hair shaft, rather simply coating it and then being washed away.
What Coconut Oil can do for Your Hair
1. It Protects Hair and Prevents Breakage
Compounds such as lauric acid and the fatty acids contained in coconut oil work coat the hair and bind with natural proteins in the hair. This coating works as protection of the hair, allowing to grow without becoming brittle and breaking off.
2. It Soothes and Moisturizes Hair
One of coconut oil’s standout properties is the fact that it can penetrate so deeply into the hair follicle. Using coconut oil for dry hair allows plenty of moisture, nutrients, and vitamins to soak into the root of your hair, leaving it healthy, hydrated and soft.
Coconut oil is also highly effective as protection from heat damage and can be applied before either blow-drying or straightening hair.
3. It Encourages Blood Circulation
A deep conditioning treatment with coconut oil can do wonders for hair growth stimulation. This can be done once a week, making sure to massage the coconut oil into the scalp. The coconut oil will be directly absorbed by the scalp, boosting blood flow and oxygen to this region of the head. This, in turn, helps to stimulate hair follicles and hair growth.
4. It’s Packed With Nutrients
Coconut oil is a natural product jam-packed with various minerals, nutrients, and antioxidants which are incredible for hair growth. Just some of the most stimulating nutrients include vitamin E, vitamin K, and iron. Each of these compounds works to protect the hair, while keeping it soft, supple and dandruff free.
5. It Protects Against Infection
If you suffer from persistent scalp infections such as dandruff, psoriasis or itchy scalp, this can severely affect hair growth. Coconut oil carries both antibacterial and antifungal properties, helping to soothe and protect your scalp from these conditions.
How to Use Coconut Oil in Your Hair
While coconut oil works brilliantly as a hair growth treatment, its benefits don’t stop there. Here are the additional ways on how to use coconut oil in your hair.
Following this section is a list of products that can also help.
- Deep Conditioning Treatment. Due to the smaller fatty-acid chain complex of coconut oil, it can penetrate deeper and faster into the hair. If you are looking to repair split ends, soothe your scalp, add shine and health back to your hair, coconut oil as a deep conditioning treatment works wonders.
- Daily Hair Detangler. Instead of struggling with knotty, tangled hair use coconut oil in damp hair to detangle things for you. Pulling and tugging on tangled hair can do irreparable damage to your hair. Coconut oil can help to soothe and soften things for easy brushing, without leaving a sticky residue.
- Dandruff Treatment. Dandruff can be caused by scalp infections or the long-time use of hair products which are too harsh on the scalp. Coconut oil is a fantastic treatment for a dry, itchy and flaky scalp. Use as a conditioner or treatment once a week to keep dandruff at bay.
- Protect Your Hair From Sun Damage. Coating your hair with a layer of coconut oil works exactly the same as sunscreen on the body. If you work outdoors or simply want to protect your hair from harsh sunlight, apply a little coconut oil the end of your hair for natural protection.
Best Coconut Oil For Hair: 10 Suggested Products
Here are Hold The Hairline’s product suggestions for best coconut oil for hair, such as coconut oil shampoos and conditioners.
Best Shampoos with Coconut Oil
1. All Natural Coconut Oil Shampoo for Hair Growth
2. Re:line Biotin Shampoo with Coconut Oil
3. Vitamins Hair Growth Shampoo
5. Mark Daniels Coconut Oil Shampoo & Conditioner Set
Best Coconut Oil Hair Masks
6. Premium Nature Coconut Oil Hair Mask Conditioner
7. Pure Body Naturals Coconut Oil Hair Mask
Best Leave-In Products with Coconut Oil for Hair Growth
8. OKAY Coconut Oil Deep Moisturizing Leave-in Conditioner
9. Focus Coconut Oil Hair Serum
10. Sun Bum Beach Formula Coconut Oil Detangler
Other Benefits of Using the Best Coconut Oil for Hair Repair
Happy hair protein isn’t the only advantage coconut-oil users enjoy. This superfood offers several benefits thanks to its natural antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties, including:
- Eliminating dandruff
- Removing lice
- Improving scalp health
- Treating and preventing folliculitis
- Treating ringworm of the scalp
- Promoting hair growth
- Boosts hair coloring (mix natural coloring agents with coconut oil before applying for deeper penetration)
- Protects from sun damage and chlorine
- Economical and versatile
- Moisturizes dry, fly away hair
- Gentle and safe for everyone in the family
- Scent is appropriate for men and women
- Brings life and shine to gray hair
Of course, the best way to maintain your lovely locks is to eat a well-balanced diet and drink plenty of water. A well-nourished body is more likely to produce well-nourished hair. But clean living isn’t a cure-all for everything. It’s possible to eat and drink all the right things and still have damaged hair. Genetics and your environment play a big part in hair health, so does regular blow drying, ironing and curling. Believe it or not, even your efforts to stay fit can adversely affect your hair. Frequent shampooing related to working out can damage hair by stripping it of natural emollients.
In rare cases, extremely dry or damaged hair can indicate a bigger health problem such as hypothyroidism or Menkes syndrome. But barring any unusual health issues, regular use of coconut oil can tame the fiercest frizzies and revive the dullest head of hair.