Yes, it’s possible, to skip the drying, smelly alcohol finger bath typically used to remove your acrylic nails.
By following a quick, and chemical-free step-by-step process, you can rid your digits of the fake tips– and get a perfect 10 on the cheap.
Your Acrylic Nail Removal Toolkit
The biggest downside of wearing acrylic nails is the real damage you can do to your digits if you rip the falsies off incorrectly.
- Remove any nail polish from the nails. The nails should then be clipped as far as possible using an acrylic nail clipper.
- File your nails down using a buffer with four sides.
- Using a coarse grit file, remove some of the hardened acrylic coatings. Typically, the higher the coarse grit number, the smoother the file. Coarse files (80 to 150 grit) are best for acrylic nail removals extensions. Here’s the #1 Professional Coarse Grit Nail File that is a Best-seller on Amazon.com, that I used to remove my acrylic nails.
- Before the overlay gets too thin, switch to a fine grit file to remove more of the acrylic residue.
- Buff your nails to restore shine.
- Apply cuticle oil to your nails.
- Wash the oil off your nail bed with soap and water.
- Polish your nails with a base coat and two coats of your favorite nail polish.
Once you have removed your fake nails, massage the hand with a good hand cream to restore moisture to your dry nail beds.
There’s no denying that a very popular, cheap and easy way of removing the acrylic nails is to use acetone.
Acetone works well because it is a good solvent.
But, it is highly flammable, will dry out your natural nail bed, and must be used in a well-ventilated area.
Be aware that using a fan when using acetone as a remover does not improve ventilation, it simply circulates the air and the air bourne fumes.
You’ve just removed your acrylic nails, and your natural nails feel as thin as eggshells?
What can you do to strengthen them?
If the extensions were removed properly, using the techniques described above, the eggshell texture will be temporary.
To restore your natural nails, use a nail strengthener to help toughen them up.
The cuticle and nail oils in the strengthener will help to plump the layers of the natural nail that have been repeatedly dehydrated by the use of antiseptics before the nail technician applied the nail extensions to your natural nails.
- Removing artificial nails by buffing can be time-consuming, and if done improperly or excessively, can cause severe damage to the nail plate. But buffing the nails, it is the safest way to remove your nails without any exposure to harsh chemicals.
- To thicken and harden nails, allow acrylic nails to grow out, and don’t wear them again until your own nails have regained strength. (Even then, wear them for a month at most, then give nails one week’s rest.)
- Help nails restore their optimal health by stimulating cuticle area with a nightly olive-oil massage.
- Do not pry off nails with acrylic nippers, as this will damage the natural nail plate.
- Nail plates may appear to be thinner after you’ve removed the acrylic nails. Thin nail plates are the result of removing the acrylics because there is more moisture in the natural nail plate, which makes them more flexible. It is not an indication that the nail enhancement has weakened the nail plates.
- Solvents, such as acetone and nail varnish removers, can remove natural oils and water and can be the cause of dryness if overused.
- Remove your acrylic nails every three months to give your natural nails time to breathe.
Now you don’t have to visit the salons because there are unlimited ways on how to remove fake nails at home.
- You will not feel any trouble removing your nails by acetone. With this method, you will be able to remove your nails without feeling pain or damaged your fingers tips.
- Apply the petroleum jelly at the lowest part of your nails.
- Take the acetone nail polish remover and dip your nails in it.
- After 5-10 minutes your nails will get schmaltzy, now you have to remove your nails gently.
- After the removing process wash your hands thoroughly.
- You need a partner to remove the fake nails through this removal method. Or you can say that you need a person who can pull the dental floss under your nails.
- You can use the cuticle stick to peer the entire bottom edge in a gentle manner.
- Now you have to slip-up the dental floss at the lower part of the nail, and grasp the dental floss from both sides of each hand.
- Now your partner has to slide the floss in and out the situation and then pull it up to lose the nail.
- You should do the slicing activity until the fake nail is separate from the original nail. Never pull the floss quickly in the upward direction to save your nails from getting dithering with the acrylic.
Non-Acetone Removal Method:
Want to know how to take off fake nails at home without the chemical application? Then you should give a try to the newspaper recipe.
For this, you need the following things:
- Acetone free Nail polish remover
- Wooden stick
- Nail buffer
- First of all, you need to cover your nails with the newspaper.
- Put the acetone free nail polish remover in any container and dip your hands in it for 15- 20 minutes.
- Don’t forget to apply the petroleum jelly on your fingers before dipping your nails. Once you feel that the fake nails get soften, use a wooden stick to scrape the nails but never scrape the nail plate.
- Take the nail buffer to remove the acrylic gel. Once the nails are removed, wash the hands and apply moisturizer.
- This is one of the best methods on how to take fake nails off.
Nail Filing Method:
This method is also best on how to take fake nails off.
- Take a nail clipper, to give the shape to the fake nails.
- Try to cut the nails as much as possible. Fake nails are thick as compared to the original nails so you can use a nail filer for filing them.
- Let me tell you the right method for filling the best fake nails. Always use the course side for filling these nails.
- At one time provide your efforts to one nail, fill the fake nail until it has become thin to cover the natural nail.
- Continue the process until the time you’ve trooped each nail as much as possible.
- File the nails as much as possible that it gives a look of original nails. You don’t need to worry about nail damaging, but be careful that necessary layers of the natural nail will not be damage.
Now it’s time to use the cuticle rod to snoop up the edge of the fake nail. After lifting the nail edge, place the cuticle clippers under the tip of the nail and start clipping it. Lift the edge and clip the acrylic until the fake nail has been removed from your skin. You can give a try to this process again until fake nails are removed from your skin completely. You have to careful about one thing; first don’t pay off the nail that the layers of the natural nail will rip off. Now it’s time to Buff your nails. Shape your nails with a nail clipper and Apply cuticle cream and moisturizer to soften the hands.
Warm Water Technique:
Are you worried about how do you take off fake nails? You don’t need to because putting these nails is so easy; however, you don’t need to dip your nails in different chemicals. I have a simple method for you.
- Any chemical that you use on how to put fake nails on is dangerous for the nails. Put warm water in the small amount in a container and dip your nails in it.
- Now slowly move the both sides of your fake in a gentle way until the nail loses its elasticity from the original nail. You can add the soap in the warm water and again place your fingers in it.
- Wait for 5-10 minutes then you will see that your fake nails will remove from your ordinal nails in a slow manner.
- However, you can repeat this process 2-3 times for proper nail removal.
I hope that in this article you learn the effective methods on how to take off fake nails. If you apply the fake nails on the daily basis, then you should know about these methods. On the other hand, if you are tired of spending money at the salons then above mentioned tips can help you on how do I get my fake nails off.
A Word Of Caution
Before we begin it must be said that you should always primarily visit your nail technician to have your fake nails removed and have any other nail related issues attended to (provided they are not of medical nature, otherwise you should visit your doctor). Below we have two unique methods on how to remove acrylic nails depending on what your prefer doing.
Method One – Things You Will Need
- Nail Polish Remover
- Nail Clipper
- Olive Oil
- Glass Bowl
- Moisturizing Lotion
- Clean Towel
- Petroleum Jelly
- Orange-wood Stick
- Nail Buffer
- Nail File
These Amazon products all have a 4.5+ star rating with lots of reviews to back them up. Go check them out!
1. For the first step you want to begin by cutting your acrylic nails as short as possible without hurting yourself. This will make the job quicker and easier as there is less acrylic nail to deal with.
2. Fill up a small glass bowl of acetone nail polish remover before getting any lotions or substances on your hands.
3. Buffer your nail with a file to remove the gloss from your nails. Make sure to move around the nail a lot, in an even fashion, and not to focus on one spot. Clean off the dust once your finished with this part.
4. Apply a thin coat of petroleum jelly around the skin that is touching the nail bed in order to protect your skin from the acetone nail polish remover. In this scenario a bit too much is better than too little.
5. At this point dip your nails into the bowl of acetone nail polish remover until the glue that binds your acrylic nail to your natural nail bed starts coming off. This process can take up to 15 – 20 minutes.
6. Once the acrylic has gone all mushy and jelly like after 15 – 20 minutes remove your hands from the bowl of acetone. Gently try to remove the acrylic nail from your natural nail, if you meet some resistance dip them back in the bowl of acetone for another 5 – 10 minutes. NEVER FORCE OR PRY YOUR ACRYLIC NAILS OFF. This can damage your natural nail and lead to INFECTION and all sorts of other nasty things that will take weeks for your natural nail to recover from. So don’t rush the process.
7. QUICK TIP: For the above process I like to use the kitchen roll and keep wiping the dissolved acrylic layer of my nails. This way I don’t damage my natural nails by using excessive force. I do this until I have reached the natural nail.
8. Once you have removed the acrylic nails wash your hands thoroughly under water and to remove the petroleum jelly and acetone nail polish remover from your hands.
9. For any left over glue on your nail use a buffer to remove it.
10. Apply cuticle oil (or olive oil) to your nails and massage it into your nails and hands. This will help moisturize your nails after being dried out by the process of removing acrylic nails.
Your nails will look rough for a couple days. You can buff them a little to reduce the roughness.
Please take some time to quickly like and share our page. Thank you!