Do you want to make money online? Are you ready to finally get into the game and start your own online business?
A buddy recently texted me that he wanted to register his new business idea. I told him to focus on making a few bucks first. You need to make money if you want a business. I’m going to show you how you can finally start your own blog and eventually make some money in the process.I’m not here to show you how to get rich quick or scam the system. I can show you how to make some extra cash and share your ideas with the world through a blog.
You’re going to start your own business, share your ideas with the world, and make some money on the side.
Do any of the following excuses sound familiar?
- “I can’t think of any good ideas.”
- “I don’t have the money to start a business.”
- “I didn’t go to a prestigious college.”
- “I need to register my business first.”
If you’re not serious then I don’t want you here. Close this window and find another personal finance blog to check out.
I started this blog in November of 2008 because I was bored and sick of feeling sorry for myself. I launched it with no experience and no clue as to what was going to happen next. Now over the last eight years, I’ve built this into an outlet where I can share my ideas, vent, and even make some money in the process.
I’ve helped thousands of readers over the years. I’ve been featured in the NY Times (and every other possible outlet), been flown in to speak across North America, and have written an Amazon best seller. I’m not saying this to brag. I want you to see what’s possible if you’re just willing to launch.
It’s your turn.
[HUGE UPDATE: I had to edit this article because starting a blog has actually gotten easier.]
Here are the 6 easy steps to start your own online business right now even if you’re broke and confused…
Step 2 To Building A Business With No Money: Read Books!
The book I most highly recommend to anyone starting a business in the time we live in (the digital age) is The Lean Startup by Eric Reis. Eric’s book will not excite and wow you. (Hey, I’m being honest.) But what it will do is show you the ropes on creating a business in our current fast-paced landscape (not the industrial age of old).
Another book I’d highly recommend is Pam Slim’s Body of Work. This book really helped me when I closed the doors on IWearYourShirt and wasn’t sure what the hell I was going to do with my life. Pam has some fantastic exercises that you can do right in the pages of the book (so I’d recommend going paperback on this one, sorry Kindlers).
One last book is… any book by Seth Godin. Any single one. I think he’s written 452 by now. Seth is insanely smart and his books have as much practical knowledge as they contain inspiration. Do yourself a favor and pick one up.
(Seth Godin’s book Purple Cow was life-changing for me in 2005 when I was stuck at a 9-5 job.)
A note on reading books when you’re trying to start a business with no money…
Don’t overdo it and don’t let reading drag on forever. A lot of people will get lost consuming content from other people. They’ll go down an endless rabbit hole of consumption because it’s easier than actually building something or starting something of their own. Limit how many books you can read and the amount of time you can read them.
Whether you have a 9-to-5 job, 13 children, or are generally too busy to read, you should be able to read three books in the span of two weeks.
Step 4: Did You Come Up With An Idea Yet?
If you did, awesome, skip to step five.
If you didn’t, repeat step one. If you still didn’t come up with an idea, go on a long walk or hike without your phone or any technology. Get away from any electronic distractions and let your mind wander. Space allows for creation.
This video may also help you if you’re stuck:
Let’s assume you have some type of business idea by this point. It doesn’t matter if the idea is “good” or “bad” right now. Those words are actually irrelevant when starting a business. SnapChat exists and is valued at $3B (with a B!). Ideas are a dime a dozen, the trick is what’s coming in the next few steps…
Step 6: Have Actual Conversations With People
Once you find your potential customers, have real conversations with them. If you can, sit down with people at coffee shops. Skype or other video chat services will work, but make sure you’re face-to-face.
The conversations you have with potential customers should go something like this:
- Ask lots of questions and do lots of listening.
- Do not try to sell this person on anything yet, but gauge their willingness to buy and price threshold (if you’re ready to do that).
- Identity their pain points.
- Take lots of notes.
- Find patterns.
When you talk with people in person, or over Skype, you can hear their tone. You can understand how deeply something bothers them. You can really get a sense for what is most important to them. You can’t get that via an email or survey (there’s no tone identifier).
Make sure when you’re talking with people you aren’t dominating the conversations. You should be guiding the conversation to get the information you need to build your business.
Make money online – Start your own business today!
When I was a teenager, I was always dreaming of ways to start my own business. From idea’s of starting a daycare to a petsitting business, to finally actually building a 6 figure business in a virtual 3D game (Yes, really. I made that much selling virtual goods that weren’t even real. If that’s not quirky, I don’t know what is. But let’s save that story for another day!). I just knew I didn’t want to spend my life busting my butt working for (mostly ungrateful) bosses. I am sure you can relate.
Starting a business is a dream for many, but start up costs are a hurdle. With 8 out of 10 businesses failing in the first 18 months (according to Forbes.com), and those pricey startup costs may never be recouped.
So, how do you get around it? First of all, I know what you’re thinking, “Yea right, it’s not possible!”. Think again, my quirky friend. Get your game face on, and listen up. Here’s how to get started:
- Start a business with little to no overhead, but quickly generates income (Ok, I see you rolling your eyes – Stop being a negative nellie! Positive thoughts = Positive results. This IS very possible, and I’ll give you start up idea’s below!).
- Re-invest your start up profits into learning tools (courses and/or ebooks) and marketing strategies to level up your business. This step is especially relevant because it’s exactly how 6+ figure businesses start and grow into big profits.
- Are you ready to get started? These tips will not only pave your way to financial freedom, but in addition, will change your life. Let’s dive into some of your options below.
1. Freelance Writing
If you love to write, why not create your own freelance writing business? Writing is a super fun job. I know this, because I do it for a living!
Freelance writers are highly in demand, therefore the earning potential is great, between $50,000-$100,000+ per year. From bloggers to businesses, the opportunity to make money writing has never been better.
Starting your own freelance writing business will allow you to market your services immediately with virtually zero overhead. Because all it takes is investing your time and passion, and as a result, you can quickly grow into a very lucrative business.
Here are just a handful of free platforms to get your feet wet and gain some experience:
- Writers Domain
- Writer Access
Amazon offers some great free Kindle Unlimited books that will teach you how to make money as a freelance writer. A few worth checking out:
How to grow:
Remember we talked about reinvesting your profits to scale your business? Once you’ve dipped your toes into the above free platforms, you can re-invest your earnings into a course that will help you start a business easily earning $4,000+ per month.
30 Days to Freelance Writing Success is an amazing and affordable course that will help you lay out the foundation, establish your business and promote yourself to find paid writing gigs. Definitely worth checking out if you want to get paid (a lot of money) to write.
2. Virtual Assistant
This is one of my favorite ways to start a business online, because I have been a virtual assistant (VA) for years, and I absolutely love it. Furthermore, VA’s are in high demand, so you can rapidly grow into a very profitable VA business.
The average VA earns between $30-50 per hour, and there’s a wide variety of services you can offer as a VA. The possibilities are endless.
Here are some of the most popular services:
- Office Management
- Customer Service
- Email Support
- Social Media Management
- Project Management
- Data Entry
- Blog Management/Content Writing
- And so much more depending upon your skills
Free Kindle Unlimited resources to learn more about becoming a VA:
Where to find VA work:
That’s just a handful of sites. There are many other sites to find VA work, but the best way to reach 6+ figures, is to build your own VA business once you’ve earned enough profits to invest into a course. I strongly recommend checking out 30 Days to Virtual Assistant Success.
Gina Horkey, the course creator, is awesome. She will teach you everything you need to know to launch and grow your VA business. She will give you a few good laughs too once you get to know her! She’s great, and an expert at building online businesses.
3. Graphic Design
Are you creative? Then use your talents to your advantage and make money online with your own Graphic Design business! You can make a killing, because from companies to busy bloggers, businesses love to outsource when it comes to graphic design. Here are some idea’s that you can design and market:
- Printables (SUPER hot seller these days!)
- Pinterest Images for bloggers (Also very popular!)
- Marketing Materials
- And SO much more! The possibilities are endless
You don’t need to be an artist or have crazy talent to do graphic design. Pinterest images for bloggers for example, are super easy to learn and can make you a ton of money. You just need to have a creative mind and market yourself properly.
You can do basic graphic design for free in Canva. But once you’ve earned some funds, I’d recommend investing into a better program. My favorite image editing tool is PicMonkey, which offers a free trial to check it out.
Ready to get started selling your designs? Three of the best platforms to start marketing your services are:
You can sign up for free and start selling immediately and bank some serious cash.
4. Become Instafamous on Instagram
Yes, this is really a thing! Crazy, right? But if you love using Instagram, you’ll love this idea. Become your own boss as an influencer on Instagram.
I just recently started getting into Instagram for my rescue efforts, and I am quickly becoming an Instagram fanatic. It’s SO much fun! My following isn’t huge yet since I just started diving into it, but it’s growing very rapidly and I have already made some money and received free products as a result. So awesome! (P.S. If you love cats and/or pet rescue, follow me @hairballchronicles).
There is no need to invest in expensive advertising or marketing for a brand new business. Harness the power of social media for huge exposure at no cost. There are over 700 million users on Instagram every month and many of them are making thousands of dollars as an influencer. How to become Instafamous:
- Post quality photos – Edit your photos like a pro. Post bright, crisp quality photos only. People want to feel as if they were there.
- Grow your followers – Organic followers that are clicking like on your photos
- Engagement – Followers that comment and engage in conversation on your photo posts
- Collaborate with peers in your industry, join engagement pods and threads and participate. You’ll be surprised how fast your reach will grow!
Once you have a good sized engaged following, you can monetize your efforts to receive free products, sell items or be paid as an influencer. The power of Instagram is amazing, and can be your ticket out of your 9-5. Seriously! People are banking thousands per week with sponsored content on Instagram.
There is no need to have a blog to earn income on Instragram, but it can certainly go hand in hand with earning income. Instagram can drive major traffic to your blog, which in turn will grow your email list and increase your sales.
You might also enjoy: Foolproof Way to Start a Blog
The great thing about Instagram is, you can monetize any niche. Here are a few idea’s:
There’s a market for everyone.
Things you can earn as an Instagram influencer:
- Money – Brands will pay you to sponsor their products
- Free Products
- Travel Discounts
- Complimentary Hotel Stays
- More traffic to your blog
- And so much more fun stuff!
Are you ready to become Instafamous?
Amazon offers some free Kindle Unlimited books such as Instafamous to learn how to explode your Instagram.
Once you start gaining some traction, I’d recommend checking out a couple of great courses when you’re ready to take your Instagram to a very profitable level:
- Instagram for Success – The creator of the course makes a full time living using Instagram, and has over 122,000 followers, so I’d say she knows her stuff! My followers went from 57 to over 3,000 in a few weeks time following Helene’s strategies, along with my engagement improving, so I stand by this course being the best Instagram course out there if you want to make money with Instagram.
- Instamazing – Another awesome course that will help grow and monetize your Instagram.
5. Social Media Manager
Pinning, posting and tweeting, oh my! How awesome would it be to get paid to play on Facebook or Twitter all day? If you’re addicted to social media, you should turn your hobby into profits by becoming a social media manager.
It’s so easy to get lost in social media. That’s why big brands and bloggers are turning to social media managers to help them build their online presence. Businesses almost always outsource their social media, so this is an extremely profitable business that could easily earn 6+ figures once you build up clients. The most popular platforms brands often need help with are:
Read these free Kindle Unlimited books to help you become an expert managing the above social platforms:
You can focus on mastering all platforms, or just focus on one platform such as starting your own Pinterest VA business.
If you’re already a social media pro and want to dive into helping business owners grow their online presence, setting up your own website to advertise your business services would be ideal, but you can also start marketing your services on free to join platforms such as Fiverr.
If you really want to hit at home run with your social media manager business, check out Social Media Manager School to learn all of the skills you need to create a very lucrative social media manager business.
Have you always dreamed of starting a business, but you can’t afford the expense of buying products and renting a building? If so, dropshipping is a great (and very lucrative) alternative. There’s no upfront cost or inventory to stock. You only purchase products when you have an order to fulfill.
How dropshipping works:
- Customer places an order through your shop
- Your shop places the order on the dropshipping suppliers website
- The dropshipping supplier prepares your order and ships directly to the customer
Super easy! The supplier does all of the heavy lifting, while you sit back and collect money! And there are dropshipping suppliers for almost everything. Whether you want to sell socks, jewelry, essential oils or iPads – You can sell just about anything with zero start up costs. It’s a great way to save money on inventory since inventory tends to be the largest expense for retailers.
Great platforms to get started with a storefront:
- Shopify: You can create your own store for free for 14 days with Shopify’s trial. By the way, if you open an online shop, Shopify is the ish! No joke. No comparison against any other store platform (believe me, I’ve tried them).
Dropshipping is one of the easiest, most affordable business models. Anyone can do it, and most are very successful, so it’s definitely a business idea to strongly consider.
Ready to dive into learning how to create a 6+ figure business dropshipping? Visit Udemy and search “dropshipping” for a ton of courses starting as low as $11.99. Here are some great courses to search for:
- How To Start A 6 Figure Amazon Dropshipping Home Business!
- eBay Amazon Dropshipping The Easy Way To Make Profits
- eBay Drop Shipping Guide with No Inventory – Work From Home
There are many other low priced courses to browse on Udemy to get you started, so be sure to browse all of their courses. If you need some inspiration for selling products online, check out The Selling Family and their amazing story. They turned their love of bargain shopping for resale and turned it into a 6 figure business in just one year!
7. Pet Sitting
If you love animals (like I do!), pet sitting is an awesome way to start a business. Who wouldn’t love spending their days or nights getting paid to play with furry friends? You’ll love it so much, you won’t even believe you are getting paid for it. That’s definitely my kind of job!
In today’s busy society, there is a high demand for reliable pet sitters. You can easily earn anywhere from $15 to $30+ per hour. Pet sitting can start out as a side hustle, and quickly scale into a full time income once you build up clients. I used to do VA work for a pet sitting company, and rates could go up to $100+ per day for various types of pet sitting, such as boarding pets in your home while your clients are on vacation.
How to get started:
Word of mouth. Tell your family and friends that you’re interested in pet sitting, and have them spread the word. Post on Facebook and hang a flyer in your vets office. In addition, there are also websites to help you get started:
Pet Sitter Secrets – Tips, Forms, Systems and Behind the Scenes to Start and Grow is a great free Kindle Unlimited resource for some start up inspiration.
Are you crafty? Get into the handmade market! Start a business by using materials around your home or get donations and start creating products to sell in online marketplaces or to family and friends. People love to buy homemade products because the quality is often better than store bought, so building up a handmade business can be quite profitable, and fun too!
What can you sell:
- Jewelry & Accessories
And much more, depending upon your crafty talents. Be creative and unique so you can stand out.
Where to get started selling your items:
In addition to selling on the above platforms, I’d recommend setting up your own shop on Shopify for more exposure. Ecommerce and Prosper will teach you how to launch and operate a successful online business.
This is a great free Kindle Unlimited read to ease the learning curve:
More Handmade Resources:
Side Hustles you can start for free or little cost:
- Blogging: Of course I have to mention this method of making money, since it’s obviously my favorite! Start a blog and monetize it. This isn’t a get quick rich scheme, but with time and patience, you can earn (way) more than a full time income. Visit The Foolproof Way to Start a Blog to get started, or subscribe to my free 5 day Make Money Blogging email course below ⇊
- Survey’s and Focus Groups: Check out this interview from a woman who earns thousands and makes a full time living taking surveys. Top paying surveys: Vindale, Survey Savvy, and 2020Panel
- VIPKid is an awesome way to earn a full time living online by teaching English to Chinese kids. The kids are super cute, and it’s a great rewarding experience that pays very well up to $22/hr (Bachelor’s degree required).
- Freelance on Fiverr: A gig is purchased every 5 seconds on Fiverr, so the income potential is huge. Many sellers are making a full time living offering services on Fiverr. It’s an amazing place for anyone in the startup space. There’s over 100 categories to choose from. Sellers offer services such graphic design (printables, logos, etc), writing, music and video, animation, digital marketing, web design, programming & tech, fun and lifestyle and SO much more. There’s a market no matter what your skill, the possibilities are endless. And it’s absolutely free to sign up and start making money TODAY.
- Child Care: If you love kids, consider setting up a home daycare. My cousin has an in-home daycare and makes way more money than those with a 9-5. She absolutely loves it. She gets to play with adorable kiddos all day, take them on field trips to zoos and pumpkin patches, do crafts, swimming and other fun activities, and gets paid (extremely well) for it! Free Kindle Unlimited Resource: How to Start a Profitable Daycare Business from Home
- Proofread Anywhere: If you love to read, and you’re a stickler for grammar, you may love being able to work from home in your pj’s reading for a living. Proofreaders can easily earn a full time income of $4,500+ per month.
- Transcription: If you’re great at typing, then turn your typing skills into your side hustle or full time job. Transcription involves listening to audio and typing it into text. Transcribe while sunning on the beach, lounging at your poolside or while your baby is napping. Here’s a free course that will teach you how to Transcribe Anywhere!
In conclusion, there are many ways to start a business with no money, especially online. What are you start up business idea’s? Sharing is caring, let’s brainstorm together in the comments below!
5. Create a few key pages and posts that will attract readers.
Now it’s time to start writing. This should be the toughest part of all because you need to sit down and create quality content for the world. You need to create a few basic pages and posts before you can attempt to bring anyone over to your blog.
What are a few important pages that you need to setup?
- A contact page. Keep it simple. You can download a contact page plugin or you can just list your email.
- “About me” section. Tell everyone who the hell you are and how you can help THEM. Share everything remotely interesting about your personality that you have going on.
What are few posts that you should get going?
- A pillar piece. This post that you’re reading is a pillar piece. This is a huge article that others want to link to and people want to spread the word about. Write something that you can be proud of sharing. You should try to explain something, share a controversial opinion, introduce a new idea to the world, or write something that you would want to share with a friend.
- Basic introductory posts. It’s important that you introduce the basics and get into the habit of posting updates. I would do a a “start here” page where you talk about the goal of the blog and what readers can expect. I would then introduce YOUR UNIQUE view to the world. Please try to have a unique view. You need a captivating story to capture interest. How are you going to capture the interest of the people?
Once you have these pages and posts setup you can then start to promote your blog by commenting on other sites, offering to guest post, or whatever advertising strategy you plan on using.
After a few weeks or so you’ll likely be in the habit of posting regularly and interacting in your field.
If you realize that your first idea sucks, move on to the next one. It’s just that easy. Starting is the toughest part. Executing trumps all theory. The world has enough great ideas. The world needs more closers.
You’ve launched something to the world.
6. Test your ideas out and try to get paid.
How does a blog make money?
You were likely wondering about this while reading the whole article. Let’s jump into different ways you can make money with a blog:
- Selling advertising space. Advertisers will contact you to buy advertising. You then negotiate a price that you can both agree on.
- Promoting your own products. You can create your own eBook, course, or any other product. You then promote and sell this product for profit to your audience.
- Affiliate marketing (promoting products you love for a commission). Are there products that you use? You can promote them for money.
It’s your turn to start a blog, share your ideas with the world, and make some money.
“Successful people learn from failure, but the lesson they learn is a different one. They don’t learn that they shouldn’t have tried in the first place, and they don’t learn that they are always right and the world is wrong and they don’t learn that they are losers. They learn that the tactics they used didn’t work or that the person they used them on didn’t respond.” – Seth Godin
Bonus: My offer to you.
If you absolutely don’t feel like going through this process alone, then you can send me an email to md @ studenomics.com and I can help you get started. The point is that there’s no more excuses allowed. You’re going to start a business right now. Of course, I’ll use you as a case study when you become successful.
Here’s a video created by Robert Mening outlining the EXACT steps to start your own blog after you’ve signed up with Bluehost…
(You can check out Robert’s blog here)
What are you going to do?
I gave you the only 6 steps that you need for starting a business right now. You can feel motivated for five minutes and do nothing. On the other hand, you can follow the tips in here to actually get started with your new online business with practically no money involved. If you’re serious about starting a business to see if you have what it takes you need to sign up for your domain and get the ball rolling. You can watch The Simpsons while you do this.
Total money involved: about $3.96/month or so depending on the special that you grab.
Total time invested: few hours to think of a topic and 30 minutes to get everything setup. Then as much or as little time as you wish going forward.
You can either Bluehost right now or keep on waiting for some magical moment to come.
“Here’s to the crazy ones – the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently – they’re not fond of rules. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things. They push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they could change the world, are the ones who do.” — Steve Jobs
What About Creating A Website/Paid Ads? Those Cost Money, Right?
Now, you might be wondering, “Chrys, what about creating a website? That costs money right?” or “Do I need to pay for paid ads like Facebook ads?”
Thankfully, there are so many free options these days. If you don’t have the money to start an online business, don’t let it stop you, you just need to work harder and put in more time.
For example, a website can be created for free using WordPress. If you don’t know how to use WordPress, this is what I mean by putting in more time versus money. Spend time watching YouTube videos and learn how to setup a WordPress website on your own so that you don’t have to pay for a website designer or developer.
Always keep in mind that at the early stage, creating a simple website with very few pages is better than spending too much time or money creating a beautiful or complicated website. Get your first sale or client before you go all fancy. Or even better, instead of a website, you can create a landing page for free using MailChimp’s free landing pages creator.
This page was created using the MailChimp free landing pages creator.
If you want to sell your digital product, there are free platforms out there that don’t charge a monthly fee. For online courses, I recommend hosting and selling your courses on Teachable or Thinkific. If it’s an e-book, you can use FetchApp.
And here’s the thing – don’t think about paid ads right now. There are so many ways to promote your digital product or service for free without going down the paid ads route. Of course, paid ads accelerate everything but at this stage and when you have no money, you’ll want to focus on other types of marketing tactics.
5 Steps Round Up
So that’s the five steps on starting an online business with no money. First you think about what you enjoy doing and you’re good it. Second, figure out a small group of people that you want to target as your customers. Third, decide what you are going to sell – digital products, your service, or both. Fourth, decide which marketing channel you want to focus on. It has to be where your target audience hangs out. Fifth, create and giveaway free content targeted at your target audience.
Now, some of you might be thinking of promoting other people’s stuff a.k.a affiliate marketing. That works as well – in this case, you’ll want to figure what type of products you want to promote as an affiliate.
If you love cars, for example, maybe you can focus on promoting car-related products. There are several websites to find affiliate products, some of them are Clickbank, Amazon, and ShareASale.
What is your greatest barrier to starting an online business, and how do you plan on breaking that barrier? Let me know in the comments below!
Chrys was bitten by the entrepreneurial bug at an early age. By age 27, Chrys has started and ran two online businesses. Chrys now runs Chrys Media, a company that runs online conferences for online entrepreneurs.
Taking the Next Step
Once you have secured the funding that you need, you will be ready to take the next steps that are necessary to get your business up and running. This way, you will be able to generate incoming cash in order to earn an income, as well as to repay the borrowed funds.
Some of the other tasks that you will need to complete should include:
- Setting up a bank account for your new business. You will need to have a separate bank account for your business, as you should not co-mingle personal funds with business funds.
- Obtaining all of the proper licensing and certifications. Determine whether you need any type of licenses and / or certifications in order to conduct your cleaning business in your particular area. You may also be required to become bonded. A good source of information here would be to contact your local Chamber of Commerce.
- Contacting an accountant and attorney. You will want to hire and accountant or CPA, as well as an attorney. Now that you have your business operating, it is a good idea to have an accountant or CPA who can take care of your business taxes. Likewise, should any legal issues arise, it is always wise to have a good attorney.
- Beginning to market and advertise. You should also start to market and advertise your business. This can be done via print, radio, television, online, and through flyers. In addition, remember to get business cards printed so that you can start handing them out.
Now that you know how to start a cleaning business with no money, you are ready to move forward. The good news is that typically, cleaning businesses can generate revenue quite quickly.
Therefore, you should be able to reinvest your profits back into your business, pay off your initial loan or investor, and continue to watch your company grow.
Start Gathering An Audience
Before I started my blog, I used to think that no one would care about what I had to say. And as a result, I had extremely low expectations when I first started writing for MyWifeQuitHerJob.com. To put things in perspective, I didn’t think that anyone would read my blog except for close friends.
But then something surprising happened. Very few of my friends took an interest in my writing. And instead, complete strangers started emailing me about my experiences and my philosophies on life.
I started having conversations with random people and these random people and I started to become friends. And before long, I had a bunch of regulars reading my blog.
Note: This was the complete opposite of what I expected to happen!
- I expected many of my friends to take an interest in what I was up to.
- I expected my friends to be 100% supportive of everything I was working on.
- But I did NOT expect total strangers to care at all. After all, why would people care about some random Chinese dude on the Internet?
The truth is that people care about what you have to say! You just have to find the right people to talk to!
Put Yourself Out There
But the only way to find these people is to put yourself out there!
Even if you have no money, there are a variety of ways to create a following.
For example, there’s this Asian kid I follow on YouTube who has over 1 million subscribers to his channel. His name is KevJumba.
Kevin started out by posting silly videos of himself dancing online. Then, he used a cheap webcam to record himself talking about his beliefs and his philosophies on life. Things started out slow but year after year, he started gathering more and more followers to his channel.
And over time, he developed a huge following. Because of YouTube, he now makes a living creating his own films and producing his own movies!
Here’s one of his very early videos below which I found hilarious! As you can tell, it’s not professional. And the quality of video isn’t amazing. But the guy put himself out there!
Here’s the thing. Kevin was only 18 years old when I started watching him online. And you would think that a 30 year old dude would have no interest in what an 18 year old would have to say. But Kevin was spunky, funny and I liked his attitude.
Not only that, but the reason I followed Kevin had nothing to do with the production quality of his videos (which were pretty bad early on). There was just something about him that resonated with me and I wanted to know what he was up to.
This is exactly what you need to do!
Gather And Retain Your Followers
Once you’ve developed your fan base, it is essential to retain them as you continue to build your brand.
In the case of MyWifeQuitHerJob.com, 99% of my early readers would come, read a single article, and then leave forever. So instead of missing out on a potential regular, I started gathering email addresses using a service called Aweber.
In return for a reader’s email address, I would give away a free 6 day mini course on ecommerce. And 9 times out of 10, that reader would stick around after the mini course to check out my new articles and updates.
In fact, I have readers on my blog that have stuck with me for over 5 years(you know who you are) and I’m very thankful!
The key is to retain your existing audience while simultaneously attracting new fans. This way, your audience count has no where to go except up.
One thing that I like to tell my friends is that my blog is like a stock that only increases in value. As long as I keep doing what I’m doing, it can only get better, not worse.
I’ve Got An Audience Now So What?
Once you’ve gathered a small group of raving fans is when the fun begins. And it is infinitely easier to start a business when you already have an established base of potential leads.
Using my blog as an example, if I ever wanted to develop an ecommerce plugin for Shopify or BigCommerce, I could instantly gather a small user base of customers by sending word out to my email list and blog.
I could also leverage my audience to gather ideas for products to sell even if I had no idea what to create. The possibilities are endless!
But none of these fun things can happen if you don’t have an audience. So if you take away anything from this post, please remember this…
Start creating something today and put yourself out there!
It doesn’t have to be anything fancy. Take your smart phone and start recording videos about your philosophies on life. Find something that you are good at and start talking about it. Put together some tutorials about a recent skill you have acquired!
At first, you will be skeptical that anyone will be interested in what you have to say. But there is always someone out there who will care. You just have to find the right audience. (I’ll bet KevJumba had no idea that he’d be attracting people almost twice his age to his YouTube channel).
The point is that you’ll never know unless you try.
Start gathering an audience now and you will have the courage to start your own business someday. I guarantee it!
photo credit: Graveyard Lemonade Stand Live with Regis and Kelly, NYC, 9/10/08 – 26 of 63 Am7 rally clegg 4
If you are really considering starting your own online business, then you have to check out my free mini course on How To Create A Niche Online Store In 5 Easy Steps.
In this 6 day mini course, I reveal the steps that my wife and I took to earn 100 thousand dollars in the span of just a year. Best of all, it's free and you'll receive weekly ecommerce tips and strategies!
Have you read these?
3. Conduct a feasibility study
The world today is crammed with exceptional million-dollar ideas, but there’s a lack of brilliant entrepreneurs in the world. Most of the businesses simply die. A feasibility research report can help you find the correct answers to these questions and more about the best business opportunities.
- How can you separate a winning business idea from a dead one?
- How much will it cost to establish a new business?
- How can you decide whether or not a business opportunity is worth practicing?
- How much effort is required?
How to Start a Business with No Money and the SBA Loan Programs Designed to Help You
7(a) Loan Program – SBA’s most common loan program, includes financial help for businesses with special requirements. The key factors of eligibility are based on what the business does to receive its income, the character of its ownership and where the business operates. Some basic uses of the loan proceeds include:
- To establish a new business or assist in the acquisition, operation or expansion of an existing business
- To refinance existing business debt, under certain conditions
Certified Development Company (CDC)/504 Loan Program – provides financing for major fixed assets such as equipment or real estate. Some of the eligibility requirements include:
- Operate as a for-profit company
- Do business (or propose to) in the United States or its possessions
- Has a tangible net worth less than $15 million and an average net income less than $5.0 million after taxes for the preceding two years
- Loans cannot be made to businesses engaged in speculation or investment in rental real estate
SBA’s Microloan Program – provides loans up to $50,000 to help small businesses and certain not-for-profit childcare centers start up and expand. The average microloan is about $13,000. Generally, intermediaries require some type of collateral as well as the personal guarantee of the business owner.
From starting up or expanding your business to recovering from disasters, SBA loan programs are available to help your business succeed. You can explore various types of loans that may be available to you, including disaster recovery and even exporting!
Owning your own business can be one of the most rewarding things out there!
There are many reasons for wanting to start your own business…
- You Can Be Your Own Boss!
- Make your own schedule, You get to set your hours and when you work
- You could possibly make more money than your current job offers
- Maybe you are just looking for a business to start on the side to earn extra money
- Maybe you are a stay at home mom who just wants to make a few extra bucks
- Maybe you lost your job and just are not finding what you need
- Maybe you are just unhappy with your current position
- Maybe you know that you are worth more than you are getting paid right now
- Maybe you are just looking to pursue something that you love doing
The list could go on and on, right?
I am here to tell you……
If you have the desire and passion you can start your own business!
You can start a business, and you can start a business with practically no money!
I know you can because my husband and I have done it!
It can be done!
Today I wanted to share with you 5 Businesses that you could start with hardly any money!
First, a few success stories for inspiration:
- The Kingston Group, an American residential construction and remodelling firm, was started by two childhood friends with around $500to cover licensing fees. Six years later it grew into a 3 million dollar company.
- Richard Branson’s probably one of the most inspiring stories for any entrepreneur. With just £300 from his mother he started his magazine ‘Student’, which was the catalyst for the entire Virgin Company. Today he’s worth over 5.1 billion dollars.
- Having pooled together $8000 of their own cash and taking out loans, the three founders of Starbucks took their idea and ran with it, turning the company into a billion dollar company almost 10 years later.
- Billionaire founder of Topshop Philip Green started his company with $20 000. He used the startup capital to import jeans from the Far East to sell to London retailers.
- Using a $700 loan, John Paul DeJoria co-founded the Paul Mitchell line of hair care products and went onto become a billionaire businessman.
4 Biggest Expenses to Consider When Starting a Business (and How to Avoid Them)
Although it’s possible to start a business with next to nothing, here are a few of the unseen costs that often stump budding entrepreneurs in their tracks. Here’s a few of the potential challenges and how to overcome them.
1. Paying for Supplies
Challenge: This includes specialised machinery, equipment like computers or printers, basic office supplies and raw materials. The cost of buying all the equipment you need can quickly become overwhelming.
Solution: Avoid stress by reducing your needs as much as possible, sourcing cheaper supplies wherever you can or whittling down your product or service offering as much as possible in the beginning. You could also trade services and barter to get your hands on what you need.
2. Office space
Challenge: There’s a reason why some of the most successful startups in the world launched in a garage. Office space can be notoriously expensive depending on which area you set up in, and for a new business it can quickly become a stressful cost, especially in the beginning.
Solution: Flexible office space is a fast-growing trend among solo professionals and entrepreneurs today. Renting space at a desk in a local business district is not only far more affordable for a new business, but flexible and shared offices also give you access to a host of pay-as-you-go office services that you can use as and when needed.
Challenge: All great ideas need momentum in order to grow, and the only way to get your idea out there is to market it, whether though a website, paid advertising online, print ads or other marketing services. When trying to market your business the costs can really start adding up.
Solution: Don’t underestimate the power of family and friends here. Tell everyone you know about your new business, including business contacts and past colleagues. Networking will help you market to a larger audience by simply using word of mouth from the people you already know. In addition – don’t spread your marketing efforts too thin, instead focus on one or two key areas and grow those. For example, start a Facebook page for free and build it up before you consider investing in a website.
4. Licenses and permits
Problem: Unfortunately this is one thing you can’t really avoid when starting a business. One of the first things you should do is research the types of permits and licenses required to operate in your area or industry of choice.
Solution: In the beginning you could tweak your business model to avoid having to spend money on a license right away. For example, some home businesses don’t require a license and some websites operate in jurisdictions where they may not be required for certain products.