How to renew passport

US Passport RenewalIf you are looking to apply for a  US passport renewal? Or have questions such as “How to renew a passport for an upcoming trip?” In this guide, we have built an entire how-to post on renewing your passport. Sometimes renewing your expired passport can be a complicated task if you do not have the proper documents, your original passport is damaged or lost,  maybe incorrect renewal instructions. Renewing an expired passport, either in person or by expediting the renewal application you will need to download online and submit the DS-82 application form for passport renewal in any of the following ways: by regular mail, passport offices, or a regional passport agency.

When applying for a passport renewal it is important to know that only expired passport which was valid for 10 years are accepted to be renewed as children’s passports which are valid for five years cannot be renewed. For a child passport, you will need to apply for a new passport using the DS-11 Application Form for New Passport.

Confirm Your U.S. Passport Renewal Eligibility

If the following requirements meet the United States renewal guidelines  you will be able to submit a passport application via mail, passport offices  or expedited agency:

  • Your current United States passport is not damaged (other than normal wear and tear) or lost
  • The issuance date is not more than 15 years ago which is not expired for more than 5 years
  • You were age 16 or older when your previous passport was issued
  • You still have the same name, or can legally document your name change.
  • Your United States passport has NOT been limited as a result of damage, multiple passport thefts, or non-compliance with regulations.
Related text  How to become a werewolf

Who is Ineligible for Renewing A United States Passport?

Below is a list of items that you will either have to correct or get a new passport.

  • Damage Passport – If your passport is damaged, and would not be able to verify information according to State Department requirements.
  • Limited Passport – Owe taxes or child support this would need to be resolved with the agency before applying for a renewal.
  • Old  Expired Passport – Expired Passport was expired more than 15 years ago.
  • Child Passport – A child passport is an issue for 5 years, and cannot be renewed.
  • Tax Issues – If you have serious tax debt with the IRS you would not be able to be issued a passport renewal stating  1st January 2018

For a passport applicant who is seeking expedited renewal services, you are now able to submit your DS-82 Passport Renewal  Form with our passport expediting company without any travel plans to have it expedited within 12 business days.

If you do not meet the above requirements you have to apply for a new passport using the DS-11 new passport form or resolved the issues before you would be able to get a new passport.

Who Can Renew the Philippine Passport in Honolulu, HI

The Philippine Consulate General in Honolulu has a consular jurisdiction in the following states of USA:

  • American Samoa
  • French Polynesia
  • Hawaii

Filipinos residing in the above-mentioned states can renew the Philippine passport at PCG in Honolulu.

2 Ways of Renewing the Philippine Passport

  1. Go to the Consulate as a walk-in applicant. The Consulate has a first come, first served policy so appointment is not required.
  2. Go to the consular outreach program that is scheduled in different locations. Stay up-to-date of any changes in the schedule since the outreach can be cancelled or moved in a different date or venue.
Related text  How to tell someone you like them

Renew Philippine Passport in HawaiiSplitting Caves in Oahu, Hawaii.

Photo Credit: By Anthony Quintano from Honolulu, HI, United States (Spitting Caves, Oahu, Hawaii) [CC BY 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Walk-in e-Passport Applicant

Make sure to complete all the requirements before renewing the passport to avoid any delay.


  1. Duly-accomplished passport application form (use pen with black or blue ink)
  2. Latest passport
  3. One photocopy of data pages of the passport (page 1 for the green passport / pages 1-3 for the brown passport)
  4. For applicant who has a non-e-Passport (MRP – brown, MRPP – green, and brown passport), provides original copy:
    • Birth Certificate in Security Paper (SECPA) issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) if born in the Philippines
    • For married using husband’s surname: Marriage Certificate in Security Paper issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) if born in the Philippines
    • Order online if you DO NOT have a Birth Certificate or Marriage Certificate issued by PSA
  5. Photocopy of any valid ID (full name and date of birth are clearly indicated) such as:
    • State ID
    • Driver’s license
    • School ID
  6. Proof that applicant has not applied for foreign citizenship (eg. resident alien card/green card)
  7. For dual citizens (per R.A. 9225)
    • Original Identification Certificate
    • Oath of Allegiance
    • Order of Approval
  8. Additional document may be required
  9. ANY of the following envelopes for the mailing of passport:
    • Self-addressed return envelope (US Postal Service), with appropriate stamps for express or priority mail with tracking numbers
    • Pre-paid mailing envelope from private courier of choice
  10. Passport fee of $60.00 (non-refundable). Choose your mode of payment:
    • Cash
    • Money order or cashier’s check payable to the “Philippine Consulate General”
    • Credit cards and personal checks are not accepted
Related text  How to tell if a cantaloupe is ripe

Tip: Take note of the tracking numbers of all the envelopes.

Click HERE to find out the other requirements for the following:

    • First-time applicants
    • Replacement of lost passport
    • Passport for minors, dual citizens
    • In case of no birth record
    • New passport due to change in name

Processing Time: 8 to 12 weeks

Passport Fees:

Passport – $60.00Lost Passport – $90.00Lost E-passport – $150.00

Fax (for lost ppt) – $10.00

How to Get to the PCG in Honolulu

Coming from west Oahu or from the Honolulu International Airport:

  1. Take H1 and proceed towards Honolulu or eastward.
  2. Take exit 21. Upon reaching the intersection at Exit 21, turn left to Pali Hwy to the direction of Kailua.
  3. Continue along Pali Hwy. The Consulate is located about 2 miles from the intersection, immediately right after the exit to Wyllie St.

Resource: Philippine Consulate General in Honolulu

Related Post: How to Renew Philippine Passport in Agana, GuamHow to Renew Philippine Passport in Chicago, ILHow to Renew Philippine Passport in Los Angeles, CAHow to Renew Philippine Passport in New York, NYHow to Renew Philippine Passport in Saipan, Northern Mariana IslandsHow to Renew Philippine Passport in San Francisco, CAHow to Renew Philippine Passport in Washington, DC

Send Your Balikbayan Box to Philippines from USA

Like this post? Please share to your friends: