[Updated 5 September 2018]
You’ve made the bold move of turning your travel dreams into reality, amazing! You could be planning to jet off to Thailand with friends, a romantic getaway to Mauritius, or making huge career moves by landing that dream job in Dubai. What an exciting feeling it is to finally fly to that destination you’ve always dreamed of. Now the logistics of travel kicks in, the thought of your South African passport application or renewal can momentarily deter the fun of travelling. Suddenly, your excitement for island hopping or shopping in world-class malls is taken over by the all too familiar Home Affairs queues and (quite literally) having to get your affairs in order. Well, you’ll be delighted to know that the angst of waiting in long queues at Home Affairs can be avoided!
South African citizens can apply via the eHomeAffairs website. Please note, you will need internet banking to proceed with your online passport application. Applicants will have to go to a Home Affairs branch to capture their biometrics and collect their passport. Cape Town, Johannesburg and Pretoria residents also have the option of recording their biometrics and collecting their passport at specific Absa, FNB, Standard Bank or Nedbank branches. Whether you’re applying for a passport for the first time or doing a passport renewal, follow these easy steps and you’ll be booking your ticket to your dream destination in no time!
How to Renew and Apply for Your South African Passport Online
- Simply go to the eHomeAffairs website and register.
- Create a profile
- Answer the security questions
- Create a password
- Capture the OTP (one-time pin) sent to your cellphone
- Finally, attach a copy of your ID
Making the Payment
- Enter your bank account details on the eHomeAffairs site.
- You will then be required to log in to your internet banking to authorise the payment.
- Log in to your internet banking account: go to the “My Bills” option under “Payments” to initiate the payment instruction.
- Add the Department of Home Affairs as a beneficiary, and a payment instruction will appear under “My Bills”.
- Finally, enter your reference number and approve the R400 payment to the Department of Home Affairs.
Record Your Biometrics
Option 1: Home Affairs Branch
- Once the Department of Home Affairs has registered your payment you will be eligible to proceed with your biometrics data – two thumbprints, a photo and your signature.
- You do not need to make an appointment at Home Affairs. Simply go to your local branch to have your biometrics done.
- You will need to take your ID book with you to the Home Affairs branch.
Option 2: Home Affairs-Equipped Bank Branch
- Cape Town, Johannesburg and Pretoria residents can make an appointment for their biometrics at their local bank branch once their payment has been registered (see below).
- You will be given a choice of time slots. Once you’ve selected a time slot, you will be sent a confirmation via SMS and email.
- Take your ID book and confirmation email or SMS with you when going to your local bank branch.
Wait for an SMS or email
You will receive a notification that your passport is ready for collection at the Home Affairs or bank branch where your biometrics was captured, after approximately 10 days.
With eHomeAffairs services available, your South African passport application and passport renewal process should prove to be a simple and easy task to do before booking your flight to your dream destination.
Biometrics Equipped Bank Branches
|ABSA Centurion Lifestyle||Centurion||Centurion Lifestyle, c/o Old Johannesburg Road and Lenchen Ave|
|Absa Tower North||Johannesburg||180 Commissioner Street, Johannesburg|
|Absa Ghandi Square||Johannesburg||Ghandi Square, Johannesburg|
|FNB President Street West||Johannesburg||47 Pixley Ka Isaka Seme Street, Johannesburg, 2000|
|FNB Merchant Place, Rivonia||Johannesburg||4 Merchant Place, Cnr Rivonia Road and Fredman Drive|
|FNB Centurion Lifestyle||Centurion||Old Johannesburg Road and Lenchen Ave|
|FNB Lynwood (The Grove Mall)||Pretoria||The Grove Mall, Lynnwood Rd, Pretoria, 0081|
|Standard Bank Centurion||Centurion||Standard Bank Building, 1263 Embankment Rd|
|Standard Bank Killarney, Rosebank||Johannesburg||Killarney Mall, c/o Riveria Road and Killarney Ave|
|Standard Bank Canal Walk||Cape Town||Shop 599LL, Canal Walk Shopping Centre, Century City Dr|
|Nedbank Lakeside Mall||Benoni||Shop D6, Deck Level, Lakeside Mall, Tom Jones Street, Benoni, 1501|
|Nedbank Sandown||Johannesburg||135 Rivonia Road (c/o Rivonia and Maude Street)|
|Nedbank Arcadia||Pretoria||Nedbank Plaza, 175 Steve Road, Arcadia, Pretoria, 0082|
Featured image courtesy of @frombethanygrace via Instagram