One of the most irritating things about Android and iOS is that you can’t listen to YouTube videos in the background. As soon as you move away to another screen, the video will stop. However there are some solutions for this.
Photo by: Mizter_x94/Pixabay.com
How to listen to YouTube videos in the background
If you’re based in the U.S., YouTube has created a service called YouTube Red. This allows a user to listen to YouTube videos in the background for a monthly subscription price of $9.99. The video will continue to play when you’re using different apps or when the screen is off.
However, this option is only available if you’re in the U.S., so what else is there?
Pop-up Video Pro App
The Pop-Up Video app doesn’t play videos in the background. Instead, it plays them in small windows which can be moved around. Unfortunately, this app will not play videos when the screen of your device is off.
So is there a way to do this without having to download and install an app or pay a monthly subscription? Yes, there is, and it’s such a simple solution that it’s perplexing why no one has done this previously.
YouTube videos in the background on Android
This is a simple tutorial, but you must read and follow each part for it to work.
- In the YouTube app on your Android handset, choose a video you want to watch.
- Next, in the top right of the video screen, you will see the share icon; tap it and then copy the URL of the video.
- Go to the Play Store and download and install the Firefox browser.
- Once you have installed the browser, open it and paste the URL into it. When the page loads, make sure sure to select Desktop Mode.
- Make sure that auto-play is disabled; if you don’t do this, you could hear audio that you don’t want to hear.
- If you want to, you can now sign in and play your favorite YouTube playlist in the background.
YouTube videos in the background on iPhone
On the iPhone, you don’t have to download and install the Firefox browser. You can use the already-installed Safari browser to watch YouTube videos.
- To do this, make sure you have the YouTube app installed.
- Choose a video, click share, and then copy the video URL.
- Now open the Safari browser and paste in the copied URL.
- You will notice that if you tap on the video in the browser, it will ask you if you want to use the YouTube app. Select cancel and then go to the YouTube website in the browser.
- Paste the video URL in and play the video. You will notice that when you move to another app, the video stops playing.
- To get it to play again, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to bring up the control center and tap the play button.
And that’s it; you now know how to make YouTube videos play in the background on both iOS and Android devices.
» HOW TO PLAY YOUTUBE IN BACKGROUND ON iPHONE?
- DOWNLOAD the free version of Opera Mini Web Browser on your iPhone from the App Store. The download Link is already given above OR you can simply search for OPERA MINI WEB BROWSER on the App Store.
- Now LAUNCH the Opera Mini Web Browser and visit YouTube website.
- SEARCH for your favorite music video or any other YouTube video that you want to play in the background. I’m selecting my own video for the demo purpose.
- Now play the video in FULL SCREEN mode. And once it starts playing, PRESS THE HOME BUTTON (OR use swipe gestures on iPhone X and higher) to come back to Home Screen.
- And now, SWIPE THE CONTROL CENTER UP (when you are on Home Screen). 3D Touch OR Long Press the Media Controller Pallet.
- Now tap PLAY button. You should see that your YouTube video starts playing immediately.
- Now you can swipe the Control Center down and continue with your work. You’ve learned how to play YouTube in Background on iPhone successfully.
- Now you can chat, play game, write notes, surf internet and do whatever you want to do while listening to your favorite YouTube music video in the background.
- Your YouTube video will also play with your iPhone screen off as well. And to do this, just swipe the Control Center up and select Media Controller Pallet when your iPhone screen is locked.
- Now, as explained earlier, select PLAY button. And you should see your YouTube video starts playing with screen-off.
- Now, keep your iPhone in your pocket and enjoy your favorite Music Playlist with screen off.
So, following these steps correctly, you can play YouTube music in background or play YouTube with screen off. And if you face any issue while putting YouTube player in background, do let me know in the comments section below. I would be happy to solve your issues.