Succulents are still very trendy, and in my opinion, that’s a great thing. You see, I have somewhat of a black thumb when it comes to gardening. I can’t keep plants alive… well, most of them, that is, except those darling little succulents. And if you’re looking for some creative ways to plant succulents, you’ve come to the right place. As it turns out, you can plant these hardy things just about anywhere!
Succulent varieties to try
- Agave americana ‘Mediopicta’ – a stemless, tender perennial. A large rosette of sharply pointed variegated leaves. Plants flower after about 30 years and then die. Mature height 1m
- Aeonium ‘Zwartkop’ (pictured) – maroon rosettes of evergreen foliage. Tender perennial with a shrubby habit. Yellow flowers in spring. Reaches a height of 1m after many years
- Echeveria secunda var. glauca – ‘Compton Carousel’ – red and yellow flowers in summer over rosettes of two-toned foliage. Height 15cm
- Hylotelephium ‘Purple Emperor’ – hardy perennial able to cope in a sunny, well-drained border all year round. Dark maroon foliage and pink clusters of summer flowers. Cut back stems the ground in autumn. Height 40cm
- Aloe vera – tender perennial grown as a houseplant. A stemless plant with green leaves. Reaches 60cm
- Sempervivium ‘ Gay Jester’ – a pretty, hardy perennial, bearing medium-sized rosettes of red spoon-shaped leaves, which lighten to mid-green at the tips. Short spikes of pink flowers appear in summer. Looks fantastic in pots, between rocks, or in cracks in paving.
Discover many more succulent varieties to grow here
Subscribers can save 10 per cent on a range of beautiful roses at Crocus, including hybrid tea, shrub, ground cover, climbing – 'Climbing Cecile Brunner' (pictured), rambling roses and more.
Offer Ends: Friday, 14 December, 2018 £95 Thursday 11 April, 2019
Enjoy a fascinating talk from award-winning author, and Gardeners' World magazine Wildlife Editor, Kate Bradbury, followed by a delicious champagne afternoon tea and tour of the Royal gardens.
Offer Ends: Friday, 12 April, 2019
Collection includes 63 bulbs of five different beautiful varieties. The stunning round flower-heads make a striking addition to mixed borders or pots.
Offer Ends: Wednesday, 12 December, 2018