A urine test or Urinalysis has been the most common type of drug with 90% of the 55 million tests administered last year were urine tests. This, however, is changing as saliva test is replacing urine test because it’s cost-effective, easy to administer, and can be deployed anytime, anywhere.
The police, law enforcement agencies, and employers can instantly test for drugs, without having to deal with your urine.
What do saliva drug tests test for?
A 10 panel saliva drug tests test for amphetamine, methamphetamines, cocaine, opiates, phencyclidine, marijuana, oxycodone, methadone, benzodiazepines, and barbiturates. A 6 panel saliva drug test will test for cannabinoids, cocaine, amphetamine, methamphetamine, opiates, and phencyclidine. The more drugs a test has the ability to detect, the more expensive it will be.
Another thing that makes saliva test formidable is that it has a very short detection window (or the mouth swab drug test detection period). It takes drugs quite a while to metabolize and appear in urine, but they can be detected in saliva in just a matter of a couple hours.
Hope Without Commitment
Find the best treatment options.Call our free and confidential helpline
Treatment Is Fully Covered by Insurance In Most Cases
How to Beat a Mouth Swab Drug Test When You’ve Used Drugs?
If you know ahead of time that you’re going to be tested for drugs, you can do several things to beat it.
- Drink a lot of water and citrusy fluids, as they can help the drug get metabolized and leave your body.
- Eat fatty foods, especially if you’ve been smoking weed. The component of weed detected by saliva test is THC, and fat helps absorb THC metabolites from your blood and into the waste matter.
- If you can, by all means, ignore any instructions given by the lab assistant, as it will make their work more difficult
- You may also use certain products such as gums or mouthwash to keep your mouth clean
What to Do If You Fail a Saliva Drug Test?
In the worst case scenario, you’ve two choices: accept your fate or fight back.
Wait! We don’t want you to punch the person testing you, but it may be the time to show some acting skills and play innocent. Act surprised and confused, but not angry or aggressive, though it’s not an easy feat to achieve. If you’re busted, you can insist on a urine test as saliva tests haven’t yet been approved by the FDA or SAMHSA. If you succeed in getting a urine test approved, you’ll have enough time to clear your body of the drugs. And if all fails and there is a lot to lose, you may consider discussing the matters with your lawyer to see if they can salvage you.
The Saliva Test
The saliva test, also known as the mouth swab drug test or oral fluids test, collects saliva from the mouth of the person being tested. Law enforcement agencies and employers like this form of drug testing because it’s inexpensive and easy-to-administer, and results can be obtained onsite, unlike other forms of drug testing in which samples have to be sent to a laboratory for processing.
Saliva tests can be used to detect the presence of a variety of substances, including marijuana, cocaine, alcohol, amphetamines, and methamphetamines. Another reason why the saliva test is so popular is that it provides an accurate assessment of recent substance use. Other forms of drug tests aren’t as accurate regarding use that has happened shortly before a test.
Most saliva tests involve the person administering the test to swab the inside of the mouth of the individual being tested. Collecting a good sample can be difficult at times, as some illicit drugs inhibit saliva production. MDMA and cannabis are particularly known for inhibiting the secretion of oral fluid.
The major drawback of saliva testing, however, is that it can’t detect drug use that occurred a significant amount of time before the saliva test. Saliva tests typically detect drug use that occurred up to three days in the past.
Saliva tests aren’t unbeatable. There are several methods that you can employ to defeat a saliva drug test or other forms of drug testing.
- Abstain from drug use – If you know you’ll soon be up for a drug test, abstaining from drug use is the sure-fire method of avoiding testing positive for illegal substances. Knowing what type of test you’ll be subjected to and when it will be administered is the key to knowing when you’ll need to put marijuana or other substances aside.
- Eat healthily and exercise – A good diet and plenty of exercise will help your body purge traces of illegal substances more quickly. If you know you have a drug test pending in a few weeks, put in some extra time at the gym.
- Use detoxification products – Cleanses and supplements can also help you prepare for a drug test by purging traces of illegal drugs from your body swiftly. Be sure to only use products from reputable sellers.
- Emergency detox – If a drug test is imminent and you’ve had little time to prepare, there are some products that can help you pass a drug test, even a saliva drug test. Special mouthwash and gum can cause the test to come up negative, so it’s worthwhile to have these tests on your person. Anti-drug test gum and mouthwash can be found from reliable suppliers, such as ClearTest.
How Do Saliva Drug Tests Work?
The mouth swab drug test works simply and efficiently. First, you insert the swab applicator or sponge in the mouth, completely saturating it. The sponge has to stay in the mouth for up to three minutes. Most tests have an indicator that lets you know when the sample has been collected (such as a color change at the handle end of the applicator).
After you complete the test, you cap the test and wait to read it. Results are typically available within 10 minutes.
The Impact Of Addiction
Drug abuse and addiction have vast consequences. Health is one of the biggest aspects affected, from short to long-term.
Addiction can increase risk of a number of infectious and sexually transmitted diseases. Drugs of abuse affect many different parts of your body, including your brain, heart, lungs, liver, digestive system, and more. Prolonged abuse can also increase risk of several types of cancer, lung disease, and heart problems.
Overdose is a dangerous possibility as well. With some drugs, overdose can mean a lowered heart rate, shallow breathing, loss of consciousness, seizures, stroke, coma, and even death.
Health consequences of addiction are alarming, but other aspects of life are also affected. When you’re addicted to drugs or alcohol, your life becomes about the substance: seeking it, taking it, maintaining a supply. This compulsion can get in the way of your life, affecting your personal relationships, finances, work, school, obligations, and more.
What Can You Do To Overcome Addiction?
The best recourse for addiction is treatment. Decades of research has uncovered safe and effective methods for overcoming addiction. We now treat addiction as a disease of the mind, targeting not just the physical consequences, but also the effects to your mental and emotional health.
Many rehab centers now offer holistic healing, or treatment which addresses health of the mind, body, and spirit. Long-term recovery success requires you to address not only the symptoms of addiction, but to implement lifestyle changes that will guarantee your best chance at overcoming it.
Best Available Treatments
Available treatments will vary by the treatment centers which offer them. Some treatment modalities will meet your specific needs, and these are the ones you want. At RehabCenter.net, we can connect you with rehab centers who offer these evidence-based methods.
The following methods can be used in combination with others for a holistic approach:
- Treatment for men: addresses needs specific to men
- Treatment for women: addresses needs specific to women
- Cognitive behavioral therapy: teaches individuals to develop healthy lifestyle habits
- Dialectical behavioral therapy: helps individuals recognize their capabilities, enhance their motivation, and utilize both to structure a substance-free lifestyle
- Adventure therapy: undertakes a new approach to healing to build confidence and connect with nature
- Counseling: tailored to individual need, and can include one-on-one, family, and group
- Aftercare: the best rehab centers will help you set a plan for after rehab to continue your recovery efforts
What are some proven ways to beat the mouth swab drug test?
The ways and means of beating the mouth swab test are many and varied, with loads of proven success stories to tell. But you should always remember that every person is unique, and the way one body reacts may be different than another. Some methods work better than others, and some people prefer one way over another or a combination of two or more methods.
At the end of the day, the only guaranteed way to pass a drug test is not to take drugs. Or if you have taken, you would need to abstain for as long as possible before the test. So if you find yourself faced with a mouth swab test, and you have recently taken drugs such as marijuana, these are some methods to try. It is important to remember that these methods will not remove the presence of the drug from your system. Rather, they can help to mask or disguise the evidence of the drug so that the mouth swab test does not detect it.
The most common and favorite ways of beating the mouth swab test fall into two categories: home remedies and detox products.
Home Remedies that work
- Drink lots of water: This keeps you hydrated and helps the fluids in your mouth to keep moving.
- Eat a high-fat meal: If it is possible to eat a high-fat meal about an hour before your test, this can help reduce the drug metabolites in your saliva. The fat will absorb the metabolites from your bloodstream so that less of them manage to reach your saliva.
- Chew some ice: Some have found it effective to chew an ice block just before the test. The ice will cleanse your mouth and also gets rid of any lingering traces of marijuana which may still be in your saliva. Of course, this is most effective if you have not smoked for at least twenty-four hours before the test.
- Chew some gum or mints: A similar method involves chewing gum or mints which will dilute your saliva, and increase your chances of a negative test result. In general, the idea is to keep your mouth clean by brushing your teeth and chewing gum, mints or ice.
Detox products that work
When it comes to detoxing your mouth before a swab test, the best method is to use mouthwash. There are a variety of effective products available such as the following:
Hydrogen peroxide: This can be used as a cleansing mouthwash. You would need to rinse your mouth thoroughly for about three minutes with hydrogen peroxide an hour or less before the test. After you have rinsed, do not brush your teeth or drink anything until you have had the swab test.
Ultra Wash Toxin-Cleansing Mouthwash: The Ultra Wash Mouthwash can be used similarly and it, is an all natural product which also tastes good. It works within minutes and remains effective for up to one hour, effectively preventing drug detection. It comes in a very convenient and discreet little bottle which can be slipped into your pocket, or your desk drawer at work. If you have a bottle of Ultra Wash Mouthwash handy, you can always be prepared for any unexpected swab tests.