Use a tape measure and the help of a friend to take the following measurements. When you’re done, you can easily find out your US size.
Use the tape to measure around the base of your neck, where it meets your shoulders. Put a finger between your neck and the tape measure for a more loose fit collar.
Bend your elbow and put your hand on your hip. Ask your friend to measure from middle of back of your neck, around shoulder and elbow to wrist bone.
3. Chest width
This measurement should be taken beneath your armpits, around the widest part of your chest and shoulder blades. Make sure to keep the tape measure horizontal, and don’t pull to tight or hold your breath while measuring.
Put the tape around your natural waistline, which should be close to your bellybutton. Put one finger between the tape and your body before you measure.
This is measured between your groin and your lower ankle. You might find that is most easily measured on a pair of pants that already suit you.
- Size, posture, and figure determine men’s clothing sizes. Using a measuring tape, the following measurements are generally needed: (1) chest, (2) waist, (3) hip, and (4) leg or step length.
- To determine your pants size: (1) Take your waist size at the top of the hipbone over the shirt and not over your pants. (2) Get your inseam measurement from the crotch base to the top of your shoes. (3) Your hip size is determined by measuring the circumference of your hips while keeping the tape horizontal.
- You can also determine your jeans size by measuring an existing pair of jeans that fit you well. Lay your jeans on a flat surface and take the measurement of the (1) width of your jeans at the upper corner of the pants’ waistband, your (2) inseam by measuring your crotch down to the bottom of your jeans, and your (3) rise by beginning at the crotch of your jeans to the top of your waist.
- When purchasing a shirt, there are four essential measurements you have to determine: (1) neck, (2) chest, (3) waist, (4) sleeve length.
- The most accurate way to measure your shoe size is by outlining your foot on a piece of paper, one foot at a time. Take note of the length by measuring the tip of the heel to your longest toe and the width by measuring the broadest part of your shoes.
Measurement Guide for Men
Size, posture, and figure determine your clothing size. Get your measurements and then use one of the size charts to find your perfect fit. Be sure to measure without clothes and close to the body.
- Chest measurement: As mentioned above, the chest is the most important body part for jacket measurement. Stand up straight, relax your arms at your side. Ideally ask your mum, spouse, or best friend, to wrap the tape measure around your chest area. Make sure the tape measure has a little room (max. an inch) to move. Depending on the type of jacket (casual vs. formal) you can add an additional inch (casual can be looser). Measure horizontally around the body at the strongest part of the chest with a tape measure.
- Hip measurement: The hip is measured in the same way as described above for the chest but around your hip. Measure horizontally at the strongest part of the buttocks.
- Height measurement: Please take off your shoes as measurements need to be made without shoes, from head to toe. The recommended measuring point is the door frame in which you can stand up straight.
Men’s Clothing Size Chart
To convert US-Sizes into International Sizes (EURO-Sizes).
|Internat. Sizes||US Sizes||UK Sizes||French Sizes||Italian Sizes||German Sizes|
Men’s Pants Sizes (Waist)
|Size||Waist in Inches||Waist in Centimeters|
How to measure pants size?
International Pants Size Chart for Men
|US / Internat. Size||UK Size||Euro Size||French Size||Italian Size|
How to measure pants size?
Guide: Measure your Pants Size like this
- To determine your pants size, take your waist size at the top of the hipbone over the shirt and not over your pants. Hold the tape loose and not too tight.
- Get your inseam measurement from the crotch base to the top of your shoes.
- Your hip size is determined by measuring the circumference of your hips while keeping the tape horizontal.
- It is worth remembering that if you are on the borderline between two sizes, always order the larger size.
This is how you measure to find the perfect fitting pants.
Men’s Jeans Sizes (Waist)
|Size||Waist in Inches||Waist in Centimeters|
How to measure jeans size?
Men’s Jeans Size Conversion Chart
|Waist (Inch)||Length (Inch)||US / Internat.||Euro||Waist (CM)||Length (CM)|
|28||30||28/30||40||70 – 72||76|
|29||30||29/30||42||73 – 75||76|
|30||32||30/32||44||75 – 77||81|
|32||32||32/32||46||80 – 82||81|
|33||32||33/32||48||83 – 85||81|
|34||32||34/32||50||85 – 87||81|
|36||34||36/34||52||90 – 92||86|
|38||34||38/34||54||93 – 98||86|
|40||34||40/34||56||99 – 105||86|
|42||34||42/34||58||105 – 110||86|
|44||34||44/34||60||110 – 113||86|
You can determine your jeans size by measuring an existing pair of jeans that fit you well. Simply lay your jeans on a flat surface and take the width of your jeans at the upper corner of the pants waistband with a measuring tape applied from left to right. Determine your inseam by measuring your crotch down to the bottom of your jeans. You can also get your rise measurement by beginning at the crotch of your jeans to the top of your waist.
This is how you measure to find the perfect fitting jeans.
Men’s Shirt and Sweater Sizes
|US / Internat. Size||US/UK Size||Euro Size||French Size||Italian Size|
When purchasing a shirt, there are four essential measurements you have to determine. These are the sizes of your neck, chest, waist, and sleeves:
- Your neck size is measured by putting the tape around the thickest section of your neck.
- For your chest size, wrap the tape at the widest part of your chest. The tape should be under your armpits and is parallel to the ground.
- The waist size is determined by standing straight and wrapping the tape around your natural waistline. The tape should be slightly loose.
- Finally, the sleeve size is determined by keeping your arms relaxed at your sides. Measure from the center of the back of your neck until your shoulder and the entire length of the arm.
You have the option to add an extra half inch to the cuff measurement to ensure a perfect fit.
For a comprehensive sizing guide on men’s dress shirts, click here.
Men’s Jackets Sizes
|Body height (inch)||Chest width (inch)||US size||European size||Body height (cm)||Chest width (cm)|
|63 – 64||30 – 32||XXXS||40||160 – 164||78 – 81|
|64 – 65||32 – 34||XXS||42||162 – 166||82 – 85|
|65 – 66||34 – 36||XS||44||166 – 170||86 – 89|
|66 – 67||36 – 38||S||46||168 – 173||90 – 93|
|67 – 68||38 – 40||M||48||171 – 176||94 – 97|
|68 – 69||40 – 42||L||50||174 – 179||98 – 101|
|69 – 70||42 – 44||L||52||177 – 182||102 – 105|
|70 – 71||44 – 45||XL||54||180 – 184||106 – 109|
|71 – 72||44 – 45||XL||56||182 – 186||110 – 113|
|72 – 73||45 – 46||XXL||58||184 – 188||114 – 117|
|73 – 74||46 – 47||XXL||60||185 – 189||118 – 121|
|74 – 75||47 – 48||3XL||62||187 – 191||122 – 125|
|75 – 76||48 – 49||3XL||64||189 – 193||126 – 129|
|76 – 77||49 – 50||4XL||66||191 – 194||130 – 133|
|77 – 78||50 – 51||5XL||68||193 – 196||134 – 137|
|78 – 79||51 – 52||5XL||70||195 – 198||138 – 141|
|79 – 80||52 – 53||6XL||72||197 – 200||142 – 145|
To get your over-arm measurement, stand upright and let your arms hang straight at your sides. Let someone measure the broadest part of your shoulders over your arms keeping the measuring tape parallel to the ground. The measurement minus 7 is your jacket size.
When necessary, especially on suit jackets, the chest measurement is very important. Let someone wrap the tape around your chest area brushing over your shoulder blades. Make sure that the tape measure has a room for movement and is not too tight. Adding an extra inch or two is applicable when you want a looser fitting jacket. This is acceptable for casual sports coats or jackets.
For the jacket length, the tape measure is placed on top of your shoulder where you would have a t-shirt seem. For standard jackets like blazer or coat, measure down to the top of the thigh, for a top coat measure to just above the knee.
Getting the sleeve length is also crucial, and it is measured by placing your hand on your hip, so your arms are slightly bent. Measure from the center back of your neck all the way along your arm to the wrist.
This is how you measure to find the perfectly fitting jacket.
Men’s Suit Sizes
|Internat. Suit Size||US Suit Size||Euro Suit Size||Chest (Inch)||Waist (Inch)||Arm (Inch)|
Determining your suit size is almost the same as measuring your jacket size. The chest measurement should be measured under the arms.
The shoulder is measured from the top of shoulder across the back, seam to seam. The length can be measured from the bottom of the collar to bottom of the jacket and the sleeve from top of shoulder to end of the seam.
To provide a space for adequate movement, it is typical that you add 2 inches on your chest measurement. Also, the US size of a suit is larger by 10 compared to the UK size. Therefore, a size 50 in the UK is size 40 in the US.
When you are getting generically sized suits, pick the closest size to what your measurements are. This is very helpful, especially when finding the best fitting suit every time.
This is how you measure to find the perfectly fitting suit.
A helpful guide on men’s suit jackets can be found here.
Men’s Underwear Sizes
|International Size||US & UK Size||European & German Size||French Size||Italian Size|
Wearing underwear regularly is necessary for men for support, protection, temperature regulation, and hygiene purposes. Today, there are different men underwear styles to choose from, and purchasing the best ones is usually a matter of personal taste. Men shoppers usually choose among the following basic and most common types of underwear:
- Briefs. This type of underwear is very snug thanks to its distinctive Y-shaped form and its elastic waistband. It provides great support to the genitals, which makes it the best one to wear for physical activities. They are also less conspicuous than other wear styles, making them the ideal undergarment when wearing formal attire.
- Boxers. They are a lot like loose shorts, making them breathable and comfortable. However, it does not offer the same level of support that briefs do. A lot of men prefer wearing boxers because they come in various colors, prints and patterns, and fabrics.
- Trunks or Boxer-Briefs. These underpants are a combination of briefs and boxers. They are skin-tight like briefs, but they are as long as boxers are. They provide the wearer a lot of support, which makes it suitable for exercises or for wearing tight bottoms.
There are other underwear styles that are not as common but are still worn by some men. Some examples are bikini briefs (which are usually worn by professional bodybuilders) and thongs.
Men’s Shoe Sizes
|Inch||UK Shoe Size||US Shoe Size||Euro Shoe Size||French Shoe Size||Italian Shoe Size|
- The most accurate way to measure your shoe size is by outlining your foot on a piece of paper. Make sure that the paper is stable on the floor, so it does not move.
- Sit on a chair and place your foot on top the paper.
- Place the pencil or marker perpendicular to the paper and not on the angle or under the foot.
- Now, trace the outline of your foot at a time.
- You may notice a slight difference in both feet and use the larger number among the two. Take note of the length by measuring the tip of the heel to your longest toe and the width by measuring the broadest part of your shoes.
- Subtract 3/16ths of an each from each number to accommodate the small space between the line made by the pencil and your actual foot. The result is your final shoe measurement.
Find out, how to measure your shoe size here.