If you have never made a homemade Stromboli Recipe than you are in for one delectable treat. This pepperoni, ham and mozzarella stromboli one is my absolute favorites and can be mastered by even the novice chef.
Life just wouldn’t be the same without scrumptious recipes like this. Now this particular recipe calls for homemade pizza dough because when it come to stromboli I think it makes all the difference in the world. This beauty is stuffed with marinara, pepperoni, sweet ham and mozzarella however there are many choices when it comes to stuffing a stromboli.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
HOW TO MAKE STROMBOLI
First you prepare the pizza dough. You dissolve yeast and sugar in water. Mix flour, salt, yeast mixture and olive oil and either knead or let the stand mixer do the work. Cover and allow the dough to double in size. Divide the dough in half and roll out two rectangles. You can also take half the dough and wrap up and refrigerate for later use. Pizza dough is good for up to two weeks.
Melt butter and add garlic powder, basil and oregano. Lightly brush pizza crust with herb butter.
Spread shredded mozzarella over the crust, followed by ham, a thin layer of marinara and pepperoni leaving a border all the way around. With the pizza crust turned lengthwise roll up like you would cinnamon rolls. Place on cookie sheet and brush with egg wash and a little more herb butter. Cut slits in the top diagonally every inch and bake.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR MAKING THIS STROMBOLI RECIPE AMAZING!
- Roll the pizza dough out on surface lightly covered with flour. Move to baking sheet after rolled out.
- If the pizza dough seems to be springing back when you roll it then give the gluten time to relax in its new flat shape. Roll it out, wait 15 minutes, roll it again, repeat if neccessary.
- Leave a 1-2 inch border around the pizza dough so you can pinch and seal consequently leaving all the goodies cooking inside.
- Place on cookie sheet seam side down.
- Make sure you brush the top with egg wash, herb butter and a sprinkle of mozzarella.
- Bake in center of preheated oven uncovered.
I can not tell you enough how delicious this stromboli is. It makes for the prefect party appetizer or family dinner. Do yourself a huge favor and make this amazing Stromboli Recipe today!
More delicious appetizers you will love!!
This Stromboli Recipe includes an easy made from scratch pizza dough along with helpful hints on mastering the stromboli and making this recipe epic.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Main Meal
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups all purpose flour plus extra for rolling
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1/2 cups finely shredded mozzarella
- 6 large thin slices sweet ham
- 1/2 cup marinara plus more for dipping
- 6 ounces pepperoni
- 1 egg beaten
- In a small bowl mix together yeast, sugar and water. Let it sit for about 10 minutes for the yeast to activate. If the yeast is active small bubbles will form on the surface.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer using dough hook add flour, salt, yeast mixture and olive oil. Mix on low for about five minutes or until the dough starts to pull from the sides.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking oil. Place dough inside bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow it to double in size; approximately one hour.
- Split dough in half. Roll dough out on lightly floured surface to an approximately 10 x 13 rectangle. Move dough to baking sheets.
- Melt butter in small microwaveable bowl. Stir in basil, oregano and garlic powder. Brush over the laid out pizza crust. Sprinkle each crust with 1 cup of shredded mozzarella leaving a 1 1/2 inch border all around the pizza crust. Layer with ham leaving same border. Divide pizza sauce and spread over ham keeping off of the border. Layer with pepperoni overlapping again avoiding the border. Turn the pizzas horizontally in front of you and gently roll the pizza dough into logs sealing the edges as you go. Place seam side down on baking sheets.
- Brush with beaten egg, brush the tops lightly with the butter/herb mixture. Sprinkle each stromboli evenly with the remaining mozzarella. Cut slits diagonally in the top about 1 inch apart.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Slice along slits and serve with extra marinara.
Keywords: DINNER, HOMEMADE STROMBOLI, LUNCH, MADE FROM SCRATCH PIZZA DOUGH, PEPPERONI AND HAM STROMBOLI, STROMBOLI
How To Make An Easy Stromboli Recipe
This recipe starts refrigerated pizza dough. I used the tube variety, i.e. Pillsbury, but you could also thaw and use your favorite pizza dough or even use bread dough. Press your dough into an 11 x 7 in a rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Place softened cream cheese on the dough and sprinkle with a little oregano. Top this with chopped steamed broccoli and leftover turkey and finally a healthy helping of mozzarella. Carefully roll up the dough, starting from the long end or fold each end over towards the center. Brush the outside with melted butter and then bake! This is just the simple dinner you need for the busy holiday weekend (or any weekend for that matter!)
More Ways with Leftover Turkey
Leftover Turkey Pot Pie
Leftover Turkey Tortilla Soup
Leftover Turkey Cranberry Monte Cristo
- 1 tube refrigerated pizza dough
- 4 tablespoons softened cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ cups chopped broccoli, steamed
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 teaspoon melted butter
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a jelly roll pan with non-stick spray. Arrange pizza dough on the pan and press out or roll to the edges. Carefully spread softened cream cheese over the dough and sprinkle with oregano. Arrange chopped broccoli and turkey over cream cheese and cover with mozzarella. Carefully fold over long ends towards the middle and pinch the seam together. Brush melted butter over the top of the dough.
Bake stromboli for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
To steam broccoli: saute broccoli in a large skillet over medium heat in 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil just until it begins to soften. Add 1 tablespoon of water, cover and cook about 4 minutes.