Information for patients > Recipes
While we are learning how to make the best pot brownies, let’s consider the advantages of consuming your ganja in the form of brownie edibles as opposed to smoking bud. Once you try it, you will always want to save your marijuana for brownies.
- Making edible cannabutter brownies is incredibly easy to do!
- Eating hash butter brownies and cookies has an effect which is stronger and longer-lasting than smoking.
- You can give your lungs a break from weed smoke, especially if you have a cold or asthma.
- The side effects of eating weed brownies you bake yourself is much less than those of smoking thc
- Lastly, you or someone you love may have a health problem, but are scandalized by the idea of smoking hemp for medical purposes. You can get even better medical effects, with a smoother onset and longer duration, for chronic pain, anxiety, or seizures if you cook pot brownies. It’s great for children and older persons with a medical marijuana prescription who will not want to smoke weed.
(Photo Source: Mattie Hagedorn/Flickr)
- Brownie mix, any brand you like
- 2 ½ oz. water
- 2 ½ oz. cannabis-infused oil
- Chocolate, melted down
- Chocolate candy bar, crushed
- 2 oz. crushed pecans
- 4 oz chocolate chips, lightly sweetened
- 2 large beaten eggs
Now that you are sold on making magic brownies, you first need to know the basic steps.
Canna oil is cannabis-infused coconut oil, olive oil, or other oil. If you need to know how to make cannabis oil for brownies, it is very simple. First, take an ounce of lightly ground weed, bake it for 30 mins at 215 F (102 C) to decarboxylate it (make it stronger). Remove from oven. Then just combine an ounce of bud with 2 cups of your favorite oil and heat, covered, on low for 6 or more hours. Add up to 2 ½ cups of water to prevent burning the oil if using a saucepan. The important thing is to check to see that it is not burning, boiling, or smoking, but is hot enough to get the thc into the butter. Let it cool and strain out the plant material and you have your oil.
Side-effects of cannabis use
For specific, easy-to-do canna oil and cannabutter recipes and instructions, visit our cannabutter page here: https://www.ncsm.nl/english/information-for-patients/cannabutter-oil-recipe
If you’re thinking how much weed do I need to make brownies, take your cue from the amount of canna oil you will be using and the dosing info in the link above. If you have used an ounce of pot to make your canna oil, and used half the oil in your brownie recipe, you have the equivalent of 14 grams of weed. A large bowl smoked is 1 gram, and a normal bowl is 0.3 grams. That means you have 15 to 45 bowls of pot, so cut your brownies into 45 pieces. You want each piece to be equal to one bowl, a 1:1 ratio. That way you can dose your edibles the same as you would smoke your bowls. It will take many people or many days for one person to use 15 to 45 bowls of pot. In any case, remember how much weed you used is how much is in the oil and in the brownies, so dose carefully. You probably won’t be eating normal size brownies, but starting off with ¼ of a normal size brownie or less, waiting two hours, then redosing at 2 hour intervals till you get the desired effect.
Preheat your oven to 165 C (330 F). Mix together eggs, water, and your canna oil and grease your 9 x 13 brownie pan.
Stir in your brownie mix, chocolate chips, and pecans until uniformly blended and set into your brownie pan. Bake for about 30 mins, or the recommended cooking time on your brownie mix box.
Now for the fun part. Melt your chocolate in the microwave (about 25 secs) and dip the underside of your brownies in. Lastly, sprinkle the top of the warm brownies with your crushed chocolate bar pieces, just to be extra naughty. Remember to cut into 20 to 50 pieces and don’t eat normal size brownies starting off. Many people overdose from eating too much and redosing before the delayed effects come on. But you know how much pot to put in brownies, because you’ve read our canna butter page and got the heads up so your experience will be delightful!
How to Make Medical Marijuana Wax (thc dabs)
What if you don’t know how to cook at all?
Easiest Pot Brownies with Butter
- Brownie mix
- 1 ounce of pot
- 1 lb of butter
What if you don’t know how to cook at all?
A lot of pot smokers don’t cook or don’t have time to make a batch of brownies. This quick and easy recipe is for you. It’s scaled down to its most basic and preferred by younger men and women who are busy with college and work and need the relief but don’t want to smoke and don’t have time to cook.
Pre-heat oven to 215F. Decarboxylate your weed by grinding it up and baking it in the oven for 30 mins. On your stovetop, put a cup of water and a pound of butter in your pot on low heat until the butter is melted. Now add in your ground, decarboxylated bud and simmer on low heat for 3 hours. Let it cool enough to safely handle, then strain out the plant material with a cheesecloth or other filter into a baking pan. Discard the plant material and put the strained cannabutter oil in a bowl to use in place of the canna oil in your recipes. You can either refrigerate the butter to use later with your happy brownies recipe, cake, or other edible, or leave it warm and liquid if you are using it immediately. Probably, you will not use the whole thing for your brownies, so you will measure out the amount needed and refrigerate the rest.
From here, while your butter is still warm and liquid in your pan, all you have to do is throw your brownie mix right on top of the liquid canna-butter, let it sink in, then bake it in the oven for about 30 to 50 minutes, checking for the desired texture occasionally.
This will create a cookie-like, hard brownie which is easy to dose and to take along with you to share with friends. It will also not spoil as quickly as the fancier brownies because it does not contain milk or eggs. Preparation and cleaning time is cut in half. It is the practical way to go for all the busy, important people who rely on the benefits of cannabis to be their best selves.
What makes the best pot brownies?
Getting the dosage right is by far the most important part of the whole process—you don’t want to make them too strong, otherwise, the people eating them might be in for a rough trip.
That’s right, putting too much cannabis in your brownies can make your batch a nightmare for those eating them, causing extremely long and exhausting highs that last for hours.
There were even known cases of people eating extremely strong brownies, trying to sleep it off after a while, and then waking up super high again after a couple hours.
However, that problem can go two ways — you can also add too little cannabis to the mix and end up with a batch of delicious brownies that won’t even tweak you.
This can lead to overeating and easily make you feel like you ate too many chocolate chip brownies.
Here are another few things to keep in mind when making weed brownies:
- THC-rich strains will bring in the best results when making brownies. When selecting a strain for the mix, make sure you choose a strain with high THC content as that is what makes cannabis psychoactive.
- Make sure that the cannabis you are using for brownies is organically grown, meaning that no pesticides have been used in the process of growing the plant. These pesticides can have negative effects on the end product and give it a foul taste.
Making a smaller, yet more potent batch is always a better idea in my opinion, and here’s why — brownies made with smaller doses will take longer to kick in.
If the user is not familiar with how brownies work, they might eat another one thinking that the brownie is “not working” because they don’t feel anything.
Eating a couple brownies from a smaller batch without waiting for them to kick in can be way more dangerous than eating half a very potent brownie because that half will do its work and let you return to a normal state much quicker.
Using a store bought mix: three-step chocolate infused weed brownies
Here is how to quickly whip up your weed brownies using a regular brownie mix that you can buy in the store.
- Brownie mix
- 1 cup (8 oz, 2 sticks or 250g) cannabutter
- Prepare the store-bought brownies mix according to the instructions on the box, except for using cannabutter instead of baking oil.
- Pour the remaining cannabutter into the pan, then pour the brownie mix on top. Let the additional butter soak into the bottom of the brownies.
- Cook like normal, according to the directions on the brownie box.
Greencamp Fudgebuds: the ultimate weed brownie recipe
If you are looking for the most delicious way to fix up some weed brownies, here is a recipe for our very own Fudgebuds:
- Plastic mixing bowl
- Stainless steel cake pan
- Metal wire rack
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Cocoa powder – ¾ cups
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- A pinch of salt
- Water – 2 tablespoons
- Cannabutter – 1 stick (around 4 oz, 120 grams)
- Eggs – 2 large eggs
- Flour – a bit over a ⅓ cup
- Chocolate topping (or some other topping)
- Preheat you oven to 325°F (162°C).
- Grease your brownie pan with regular butter. We suggest you use a stainless steel pan since they will prevent your brownies from sticking.
- Add sugar, cocoa, vanilla, salt, water and cannabutter to the mixing bowl.
- Whisk to blend all the ingredients together.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating them as hard as you can with a whisk until the mixture is glossy.
- Add flour to the bowl and whisk the entire mixture for about 3 minutes.
- After you’re done whisking your mix, bake it for about 20-30 minutes. Just like with any other brownies, you can find out whether they are done by poking them with a toothpick inserted until it comes out clean.
Use a spatula to cut and move the brownies to a metal wire rack in order for them to cool down.
Be sure to add toppings such as chocolate chips, sprinkles or even ice cream.
Don’t get ahead of yourself!
If you’re not certain about your tolerance with edibles, eat only a half or even a quarter of a brownie until you are certain you can eat a whole brownie. Weed edibles usually take about an hour or two to kick in. So, before diving into the whole batch and getting as high as a kite make sure you let them sit in and do their thing for a while before devouring the rest.