According to the 2017 U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) report, the median nursing salary for RNs is $70,000. But sometimes, regardless of the size of your paycheck, you need more money.
How you decide to drum up extra income depends on your skillset, time, and monetary goals. Here are five ways to boost your income:
1. Write nursing content.
Do you enjoy writing? Why not get paid for combining your nursing experience with excellent writing skills to create content for an array of online and print outlets? Freelance writers control their calendars and select their clients. One resource for aspiring nurse writers is https://healthcaremarketingnetwork.com, which a nurse co-founded. You could also consider blogging for MinorityNurse.com.
2. Work per diem shifts.
Per diem nursing offers a higher hourly pay and a flexible work schedule. Did you know some nurses even fly to California, the top state for nursing pay, to work a short time before returning home? Earlier this year a photo of a nurse’s pay stub went viral for showing over $19K earned in two-weeks on a per-diem basis. (San Francisco is the highest paying city for registered nurses, according to the BLS.)
3. Tutor nursing students online.
Work with a variety of students in your best subjects. Set your own hours and rate (most tutors charge between $30-60 an hour). Provide customized and personalized tutoring to help nursing students with classes or prepare them to take the NCLEX.
4. Give flu injections.
Doctor’s offices and special clinics need nurses to administer flu vaccines to children and adults during the 2018-19 flu shot season. Nurses also provide education to patients and caregivers about immunizations vaccine and side effects. The peak season for flu shot clinics is between August and January.
5. Earn your BSN degree.
Nearly eight out of 10 employers prefer to hire nurses with a bachelor’s of science in nursing (BSN) degree as entry level employees, according to the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. A BSN opens the door to more opportunities for advancement in an evolving health care environment. BSN programs also help students strengthen their skills to pursue advanced nursing degrees. And, aside from career mobility, research shows patient care improves with BSN nurses.
Is making more money as a nurse one of your top priorities? Do you have other suggestions? Share your ideas below!
- Achieving Salary and Career Satisfaction
Romeatrius Moss, RN, MSN, APHN-BC, DNP, doesn’t mince words when she advises other nurses about advancing their careers. “If you aren’t geared and ready and have everything in your toolbox, you are going to be left behind,” says Moss, the executive director of the Mississippi Gulf Coast Black Nurse Association.…
- Study Finds Nurse Salary Amounts Differ by Gender
It's hard to believe, but in the female-dominated nursing industry, male nurses out earn their female colleagues. According to a recent study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), nurse salary amounts aren't immune to the gender bias so present in other industries. According to the study,…
- Save Money in the Right Places
Lots of people want to save money and they are cutting back, taking on extra work, and sticking to budgets to meet their goals. But once you start building your nest egg, do you know the best way to take care of it? There are many savings and retirement vehicles…
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Bank Account
Feeling underpaid, undervalued, and overworked? Nurses make up the largest single component of hospital staff. Even though nurses comprise the majority of staff personnel, adequate compensation remains at the top of the list of issues voiced by many nurses. With the extensive skill set and vast knowledge base that nurses…
- How Having a Good Credit Score Can Boost Your Nursing Career
Having a good credit score can provide you with a lot of benefits—we hear that all the time. Did you know, though, that it may also help you with your nursing career? We didn’t either. So we went to April Brissette, Chief Credit Officer of Bankers Healthcare Group. She took…
- Five Ways To Burn Fat and Tone Up at Work
Do you find yourself too pooped after work to exercise? Get in line. And it is a rather lengthy one. About half of the adults across the nation say they fail to get the suggested 30 minutes, five days a week of moderate activity or the suggested 20 minutes of…
7. Repurpose old projects into new packages
When you have a genius moment and share your most inventive thoughts with the world (and you should if you’re a good writer/storyteller) it deserves to get all the attention possible.
It’s not just enough to publish the content, you’ve got to promote it like crazy. Derek Halpern is the master of this — and as his loyal student, I always put his advice into practice.
Ask yourself these questions:
- How can I reuse or refresh this content into something new?
- Can I repackage this into a different format?
- What can I do to maximize this content or service the most?
A few tips are to expound on your current idea, add new modules or features to your package, create new graphics, and generally pump up the volume.
You don’t have to come up with new product ideas, services and content — you just need to leverage it more and produce new stuff less.
8. Change your billing model
If you want to make more money in less time, it might be time to change your billable rate. This is different than tip #2 because you’re not just charging more, you’re charging smarter!
In some cases it’s better to opt out of the hourly rate and charge on a per-project basis. You should also consider a monthly retainer fee, recurring payment model, or any other billable rate that best suites your situation.
This idea can produce multiple effects:
- You’ll free up time by not having to clock your hours
- It’s easier to budget since you know you’re getting $X amount each month
- You’ll have more stability (and can take on more risks) within your business since it’s a fixed rate.
Google Adsense & YouTube Monetization
YouTube offers their Partner Program, which allows you to monetize your videos through ads. To become a partner, you must apply through the Creator Studio section of your YouTube account under ‘Channel’ and then ‘Monetization’.
You will also require a Google Adsense account for payment and a minimum of 10,000 total views to be eligible.
Adsense is an advertising network run by Google that helps publishers place targeted ads onto mediums such as YouTube videos. When a user clicks their ad, the publisher will be charged a certain amount in hopes that user will return a greater profit.
As a content creator allowing ads to be placed onto your channel, you will paid through something called CPM (Cost per mileage). In this case, CPM is actually per 1,000 views and can be anywhere from $1-3 on average. This means if you were to receive 10,000 views on a monetized video, you could expect $10-$30 in ad revenue.
Pros of using Adsense:
- Passive income.
- Great for YouTuber’s new to monetizing their channel
- Easy and quick setup.
Cons of using Adsense:
- Lack of other revenue streams.
- CPM varies and can require very high view count to be sustainable income.
By all means use Adsense as a strategy to monetize your channel, but if you want to approach it like a business, you need to diversify. Try out at least one of the following ways to make more money from YouTube and you’ll see a healthy jump in revenue.
Never forget that you have a brand that people follow and support. You’ll be very surprised at how many people will be willing to pay you for branded merchandise to show off as a fan. This is a route many YouTuber’s take that can generate high amounts of revenue depending on your subscriber base.
So, what exactly should you sell? Here are some ideas:
Luckily for you there are many companies like Printful that will print your designs on products like these and ship them around the world.
You can create graphics using Photoshop or Gimp (which are free) and upload them to their website. When you receive an order you simply plug in your customers information, choose the right product and design then it’s shipped away.
If you’d like to work more intimately with a design company, search for local ones and pitch them your idea. You can hold onto bulk orders of merchandise and ship it to subscribers yourself, which they’ll deeply appreciate.
We recommend that you use a storefront such as Shopify or Shoplo to start selling. Both require a monthly subscription but give you an online store capable of taking payments, creating blog posts, and much more. WordPress and Woocommerce, are free but will require you to pay for web hosting.
You should also go through YouTube’s official guide on creating merchandise for your channel.
Affiliate Marketing on YouTube
One of the most effective ways to generate passive income through YouTube is by using affiliate marketing. This is a simple business model that involves you promoting another business’ products for commission.
You don’t have to worry about shipping, tracking numbers, inventory and all of the other responsibilities. Once you refer a customer, you get paid and don’t have to worry about anything else. It’s YouTube channel monetization made easy.
If you visit many of the top YouTuber’s like Casey Neistat, you’ll notice that they place affiliate links in their video descriptions. Normally these are links to the gear they use themselves which they make some very nice commissions from.
There’s no better affiliate marketing program to begin with than Amazon’s. You can sign up and start promoting any products you want through YouTube and your other social media profiles. If you have a website as well, add links to content but make sure that it’s relevant.
You don’t have just stick to Amazon though, there are endless affiliate programs that you can use to make money from your YouTube videos. To find some, visit Google and enter searches such as:
- Keyword + affiliate program
- Keyword + affiliate network
- Keyword + become an affiliate
Enter any keywords that are related to the kinds of videos you make. Check out a few different programs and apply to them. They should display their commission rate and what products you’ll be promoting. Once you get accepted, add some affiliate links to your videos and you’ll have another avenue from which you can make money off of your YouTube videos!
Creating a Dropshipping Business
If you’ve dabbled in internet marketing even for a little bit, you’ve definitely come across dropshipping. It has been all the craze within the past couple of years but for good reason.
It’s a low risk and high reward business model that’s perfect for beginners. You list a wholesalers products on an online store such as Shopify and fulfill the order through the supplier once a customer pays you. Normally it will take place as such:
- You add the suppliers products to your online store.
- A user purchases from you through a payment gateway such as PayPal.
- You order through the supplier and they ship it to the customers address.
- You’re left with the remaining profit.
Either you will manually mark up the price or you’ll be given a special discount code when you order through the supplier. With a solid YouTube channel like yours, you can expect to make some steady sales.
I highly suggest that you begin sourcing products from Aliexpress since you can begin instantly and there are great profit margins to be made. If you happen to use Shopify, there’s an app called Oberlo that will save you tons of time by bulk importing products. They also have a great amount of documentation on dropshipping to get you started.
If you want to find domestic wholesalers, search Google for:
- Keyword + wholesaler
- Keyword + dropship
- Keyword + resell
Reach out to any you find through email or phone explaining you’re a new business looking to source products. It’s wise to mention that you have an established YouTube channel and social media profiles, so you just need products to begin. You should get plenty of responses doing so and they’ll assist you in getting started.
Become a middleman by marketing these products on your YouTube videos and channels you’ll begin to see even more profits from your YouTube activity.
From my How To Make Extra Income series please read:
To read my posts about how to make extra income and how to make money online, such as through blogging, click here. Below are my monthly extra income reports. I recommend checking out my online course for bloggers, Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing. I earn around $50,000 a month through affiliate marketing and I share my exact strategy and tips in this very informative online course. If you’re a blogger, then you NEED this course.
- $672 extra in May 2012
- $994 extra in June 2012
- $1,425 extra in July 2012
- $1,603 extra in August 2012
- $3,275 extra in September 2012
- $3,700 extra in October 2012
- $5,114 extra in November 2012
- $5,770 in Extra Income in December 2012
- $6,523 in January 2013 Extra Income
- $5,983 in February 2013 Extra Income
- $7,862 in March 2013 Extra Income
- $7,859 in April 2013 Extra Income
- $7,641 in May 2013 Extra Income
- $10,192 in June 2013 Extra Income
- $11,117 in July 2013 Extra Income
- $9,554 in August 2013 Extra Income
- $12,334 in September 2013 Side Income
- $11,927 in October 2013 Business Income – I Finally Left My Job
- $13,387 in November 2013 Business Income
- $12,160 in December 2013 Business Income
- $12,640 in January 2014 Business Income
- $13,454 in February 2014 Business Income
- $12,100 in March 2014 Business Income
- $13,493 in April 2014 Business Income
- $12,747 in May 2014 Business Income
- $12,787 in June 2014 – Site Redesign and More Motivation
- $14,937 in July 2014
- $15,272 in September 2014 Online Income – Outsourcing and Passive Income
- $14,136 in October 2014 Income – My Monthly Online Income Report
- $14,534 November 2014 Income – My Monthly Online Income Report
- $13,673 December 2014 Income – My Monthly Online Income Report and 2014 Wrap Up
- $15,396 in January 2015 Income – My Monthly Online Income Report
- $23,758 in February 2015 Income – My Monthly Online Income Report
- $15,151 in March 2015 – My Monthly Online Income Report Plus Traffic Stats
- $32,474 in April 2015 – My Monthly Online Income Report
- $20,635 in May 2015 – My Monthly Online Income Report
- $23,471 in June 2015 – My Monthly Online Income Report
- How I Made $25,138 Online In July 2015 Plus My 4 Year Blogiversary
- Monthly Online Income Report – $23,992 In August 2015
- September 2015 Online Income Report – $31,030
- October 2015 Online Income Report – $33,482
- November 2015 Online Income Report – $30,569
- How I Made Over $320,000 Blogging In 2015, Plus My December Income Report
- January 2016 Online Income Report – $44,782
- February 2016 Blog Income Report – $49,607
- My March 2016 Blog Income Report – $72,196
- My April 2016 Blog Income Report – $71,761.30
- My May 2016 Blog Income Report – $69,085
- My June 2016 Blog Income Report – $68,440
- My July 2016 Blog Income Report – $112,594
- My August 2016 Blog Income Report – $90,188
- My September 2016 Blog Income Report – $102,911
- My October 2016 Blog Income Report – $99,607.18
- My November 2016 Blog Income Report – $106,383.89
- How I Made $979,321 In 2016 – My December Online Income Report and Annual Wrap Up
Who the Hell am I?
My name is Paul Scrivens and I run over twenty (!!!) blogs in different niches.
Before you get the wrong idea, you don’t need to run this many blogs to make this kind of money. I just do it because I like to understand how to be successful in a number of niches.
Currently, across my sites, I make over 5 figures every single month. It varies from month to month depending on the niche and what I’m promoting but every month I’m guaranteed (okay, nothing in life is guaranteed but it’s consistent) to make at least $50,000. Check out this blog income report that I created to see where the money comes from.
Here is a screenshot of one of my sites bringing in money almost daily:
Note: I can’t receive bank deposits over the weekend so some days in the above image are skipped.
If you want to get an idea of some of my sites (besides this one) then here is a list of some of them:
As you can see, I’m pretty varied in what I do and it’s important to keep in mind that all of these sites contribute towards the money I make each month.
What about the other sites? They are still in the grow out phase so they won’t be added to the list until they start bringing in money as well.
More Ways to Make Money Online
These aren’t the only ways to make money online. There are a ton of other options:
- Offering services
- Freelance writing
The list goes on. In fact, I’ve written 15 more ways to make money with your blog that you should check out.
So where do you go from here? If you’re interested in getting a blog started I suggest you begin with my free 12-Day Blogging Bootcamp to get a feel for everything I do to grow a successful blog.
Remember, you don’t need to have as many blogs as I do to make good money. Most people do it with just one and I could as well but if I’m going to teach others how to build successful blogs, then I need to show I can create successful blogs in other niches.
Nobody likes the person that fakes the funk.
I'm just playing, I have no idea how many steps there are but believe me there are a lot.
In fact, one of the biggest reasons why many bloggers don't even get off the ground is because they suffer from analysis paralysis.
The other ones simply don't know what the next step is supposed to be.
That's why I created the 12-Day Blogging Bootcamp.
The idea behind it is that once you see the big picture of everything that you need to build a successful blog, it will become much easier to take the next step.
Stop wondering what it takes to build a blog that can help you quit your job or relieve some of the stress your family might be going through.
The free 12-Day Blogging Bootcamp is meant to give you an overview of successful blogging that nobody else can provide.
These are the things that I do over and over and over again with my blogs, not just my how to make money blog. All of them.
- Personal Finance
- Health and Fitness
- Diet and Nutrition
- Women's Lifestyle
- Working From Home
- Beauty and Fashion
My knowledge is coming from a place of diversity with the different blogs that I run so when I say you're going to learn things you won't find elsewhere, I mean it.
→ Start the Free 12-Day Blogging Bootcamp ←