I’m obsessed with this hummus recipe. Not only is it fast and easy, it’s super creamy and delicious. It’s a healthy hummus made from a handful of fresh ingredients. And it comes together in less than 3 minutes in your Vitamix.
My three favorite dips are hummus, guacamole and spinach artichoke. They’re veggie heavy and fulfill all my munchie tendencies (in a healthy way) during summertime get-togethers and barbecues. You might say that I love them equally, though hummus inches ahead just a bit due to it’s versatility.
Not only can it can be used as a spread inside sandwiches and wraps, but it’s a blank canvas for dozens of different flavors – roasted garlic, roasted red pepper, artichoke, sun-dried tomatoes, basil pesto, roasted beet – you name it.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
You can make hummus in a food processor or high-powered blender, but I find that homemade hummus in my Vitamix comes out faster and smoother than a food processor. That makes it my preferred method. Who can beat 3 minutes, right?
This is the best hummus I’ve tried! It calls for simple ingredients and a simple method but it’s always my favorite.
And there’s no peeling chick peas. Just a generous time in the food processor to whip it up nice and fluffy and really puree it well.
It’s creamy, it’s rich, it’s tangy and it has such a delicious flavor from the tahini. You can’t go wrong with this hummus!
Ingredients Needed for Hummus
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans/ chick peas
- 2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Salt to taste and paprika to taste
How to Make Hummus
- To a food processor you’ll add chick peas, 2 Tbsp liquid from chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and cumin. Season with salt to taste (I use about 1/2 tsp).
- Process the mixture for 5 minutes while stopping and scraping the sides once through mixing, and adding additional liquid from chick peas to thin as needed.
- Plate and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika. Store in refrigerator.
- Note that the dip thickens up once chilled, thin with more liquid as desired.
Tips for the Perfect Hummus Every Time
- Measure the ingredients that way it will have a consistent flavor.
- Use the water from the can of chick peas (not tap or bottled water), this helps make the hummus fluffy because did you know this stuff whips up like cream does?
- Use good guality ingredients and stick with fresh lemon juice not anything from a bottle.
- Watch out for rancid tahini. If it’s gone bad it will have a strong sharp unpleasant flavor and can ruin the hummus.
- This is the perfect ratio in my opinion but if you like a little more tahini or garlic feel free to add some for a strong flavor.
- Let it blenddddd. 5 minutes in the food processor really allows it time to puree the chickpeas and whip it up nice and fluffy.
How to Make Baked Pita Chips
One of my favorite things to serve with this hummus are fresh baked pita chips. Here’s how to make them.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush 4 pita bread rounds with olive oil (you’ll need about 1/4 cup total) then stack and cut into wedges (like cutting a pizza).
- Transfer to an 18 by 13-inch baking sheet. Spread across baking sheet.
- Bake about 4 – 6 minutes per side until golden brown and crisp.
- Let cool, store in an airtight container.
More Hummus Recipes You Might Like
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 (15 oz can) chick peas / garbanzo beans, drained liquid reserved
- 2 – 4 Tbsp liquid from can of chick peas
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving if desired
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Salt, to taste
- Paprika, for serving
Add chick peas, 2 Tbsp liquid from chick pea can, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and cumin to a food processor.
Season with salt to taste (I usually use 1/2 tsp) then process for 5 minutes until smooth and fluffy, while adding additional reserved liquid to thin as needed (note that it will thicken once chilled).
Store in refrigerator in an airtight container up to one week.
If desired, plate then swirl in center and add more olive oil, sprinkle with paprika.
- Recipe Source: inspired by Inspired Taste and others
Amount Per Serving
Calories 204 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10g 15%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Sodium 7mg 0%
Potassium 247mg 7%
Total Carbohydrates 21g 7%
Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
Protein 5g 10%
Vitamin A 0.4%
Vitamin C 4.6%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
What do you serve with hummus?
You can serve some grilled flatbreads, sprinkled with sea salt, is my favorite way to enjoy this easy Hummus Recipe! It also can be made hours ahead of time, making it ideal for entertaining. Enjoy!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! (New videos post each Saturday!)
Here are some other great appetizers How-to Create a Cheeseboard, Bacon Mac and Cheese Bites, or Easier Baba Ganoush and Homemade Pita Chips.
How-To Create a Chessboard Bacon Mac and Cheese Bites Easier Baba Ganoush and Homemade Pita Chips
Please let me know if you make this authentic hummus recipe by leaving a rating and review below.
Sign up to get recipes in your inbox- click here to sign up! And make sure to follow us on Youtube, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
PrintPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
This Authentic Hummus Recipe that comes together in minutes. Once you try homemade hummus, you will never buy store-bought hummus again!
- 30 ounces (844 g) of canned chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) of tahini
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ (7.5 ml) tsp salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cumin
- ½ cup (120 ml) of olive oil + 1 tbsp (15 ml) for pita bread
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) of liquid for thinning (lemon juice, water or more olive oil)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) of Italian Flat Leaf Parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 package of your favorite pita bread
- Sprinkling of fleur de sel sea salt
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Set aside 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of chickpeas for garnish.
- Whirl remaining chickpeas and water in food processor until smooth.
- Add tahini, lemon, garlic, salt and cumin. Pulse until combined and smooth. While the machine is running, slowly add ½ cup (120 ml) of the oil.
- Transfer into a serving bowl, drizzle with a little more olive oil, garnish with fresh parsley and sprinkle with cumin.
- Brush pita bread with remaining oil and sea salt and grill on both sides.
- Serve grilled bread with the hummus.
Keywords: easy hummus recipe, homemade hummus recipe, authentic hummus recipe
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and never miss a recipe! (It’s free!)
Here are the the tools & ingredients used in this recipe:
MY LATEST VIDEOS Print
Put that Vitamix to good use & Make Hummus! This quick Garlic & Olive Hummus Recipe is so easy & will teach you How to Make Hummus in a Vitamix in less than 5 minutes!
- Place all ingredients in your Vitamix & blend on Variable speed 10 / High until completely smooth – approx. 30-60 seconds. Use your tamper to push everything down into the blades for a more even blend.
- Using a Spatula or Scraper, place Hummus into serving dish or glass storage container with airtight lid. You can serve the Hummus immediately, or keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon
- Calories: 25