This is the best homemade pancakes recipe from scratch. You can fool around with all sorts of other ingredients in a pancake recipe, but in the end it’s always Grandma’s recipe that rules them all. This was my Grandma’s and then my Mom’s recipe and now it’s all that I use for my family anymore! It’s perfect every time!
This is an old pancakes recipe that I have updated from 2009 – and it really is all that I ever use for basic pancakes. Now if you are wanting to get all fancy, you can try my Blueberry Yogurt Pancakes or my Apple Pie Pancakes. Those are a bit more fiddly but also delicious.
Homemade Pancakes Recipe From Scratch
How do you make homemade pancakes?
- First, you get up on the first day back to school and get all the ingredients for your pancake recipe ready because it is back to school tradition that the kids get pancakes the first day, then are left to fend for themselves and eat toast or starve the rest of the school year.
- Then you freak out when you don’t have flour. That was this morning. Happy back to school *eyeroll*.
- Then you proceed to try your family’s pancake recipe with cake flour instead and discover that cake flour made the lightest, fluffiest version of your family’s pancake recipe yet.
How do you make fluffy pancakes?
I suggest letting the batter sit for a while ( 5-10 minutes) and let the chemical reactions start working. This always works out in the mornings when I am busy trying to get kids out the door as magically I somehow get distracted easily and let the batter sit by accident. I’ve also found that waiting to heat your griddle AFTER you make the pancakes gives you that time to let the batter sit.
Homemade Pancakes with Butter on Top
How to Make Homemade Pancakes Recipe From Scratch Video
Pancakes are my nemesis. It has taken me years of frustration, and finally cluing in and finally having a dang good griddle, ( I have a permanent one in the middle of my gas stove top, it’s amazing) to finally make them at home without throwing a temper tantrum. And I have. Thrown a temper tantrum over pancakes, that is. Just ask my husband, who has ducked when the half-cooked, half-burned pancakes have started a’ flyin’ in the kitchen. Now, however, I have perfected my pancake recipe and unless there is an ingredient crisis like this morning, I’ve got it. I’m good.
This recipe is the perfect base for any pancakes. You can substitute whole wheat flour easily (just add another 1/2 tsp of baking powder to compensate for the heaviness), you can add almost any fruit you can think of, and they fluff up beautifully – and as I discovered, cake flour in pancakes is the boss.
Homemade Pancakes with Butter & Brown Sugar Sauce
Making Pancakes From Scratch Tips & Tricks
- Use a hot griddle. Not as hot as a lot of recipes tell you, because then you just burn the outside of the pancake and the inside is raw. Try using a medium-high heat setting.
- Get a wide spatula/flipper. This will help you lift the pancake properly and turn it over. I like flippers like this one.
- Serve this with my Homemade Brown Sugar Sauce (that’s what is in the photos)
- If you want lighter, fluffier pancakes use the cake flour, but the end product pancakes do soak up the syrup more than the all purpose flour pancake recipe does. I personally like it better, and will keep a bag of cake flour on hand for pancakes.
- Don’t have cake flour? See below for instructions!
- IF YOU ARE USING SIFTED FLOUR, adjust your liquid measurements! I do NOT use sifted flour and that is why your batter will be too runny. Don’t sift your flour!