Moo Goo Gai Pan – a popular Chinese chicken stir-fry recipe with mushrooms and brown sauce that is healthy and delicious. Make this moo goo gai pan recipe at home and you won't need another takeout.
What is Moo Goo Gai Pan?
Moo Goo Gai Pan is a classic Chinese stir-fry dish. It’s basically chicken and mushroom stir-fried in a tasty white sauce. In the Cantonese dialect, Moo Goo means mushroom and Gai Pan means chicken slices. So basically, it’s a mushroom and chicken stir-fry dish.
Chicken and mushroom pair well together but this American-Chinese classic is more vibrant and filled with colorful vegetables such as snow peas, carrots, bamboo shoot slices, and sometimes baby corn and water chestnut slices are also added to the dish. All these ingredients share the mouthwatering Chinese white stir-fry sauce.
Recipe Pairing Ideas
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE
SUBSCRIBE TO RASA MALAYSIA NEWSLETTER AND GET EASY AND DELICIOUS RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX. If you try my recipe, please use hashtag #rasamalaysia on social media so I can see your creations! Follow me on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for new recipes, giveaways and more.
All photos and recipes on Rasa Malaysia are copyright protected. Please do not use the photos and recipes without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own words instead of copy and paste and link back to https://rasamalaysia.com/moo-goo-gai-pan/. Thank you very much!
- 10 oz chicken breast fillet cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 2 tablepoons oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup mixed vegetables snow peas/sugar snap peas and carrots
- 1 cup mixed mushrooms button mushroom, thickly sliced and straw mushroom
- Salt and sugar as per taste
- 1 egg white
- A pinch of ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, prepare the marinade. Lightly beat the egg white, and mix well with the rest of the marinade ingredients. Marinade the chicken, coat well and let it sit, making sure that all the egg whites are well soaked at the end of the marination process. This will ensure a smooth and silky texture when the chicken is cooked. Discard any excess marinade.
- In a wok, heat 1/3 cup of oil to smoky hot, gently drop slices of chicken in, constantly stir-fry until the chicken is a little over half done, for about 45 seconds, or until the chicken turns silky white on the surface and still pink on the inside. Dish out, drain on paper towels and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoon oil for later. Scrape off any excess on the wok, and rinse the wok well.
- Heat up wok with 2 tablespoons oil, stir-fry minced garlic until lightly browned and fragrant. Toss in the peas, carrots and continue to stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add in mushrooms and stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Toss in the chicken, mix well and quickly pour in the White Sauce seasoning. Stir well, cover the wok and gently simmer on medium heat until chicken is completely cooked and sauce has thickened. Remove wok cover, adjust salt, sugar, or other flavorings as per taste. Dish up and serve with hot steamed rice.
Calories 339 Calories from Fat 162 Total Carbohydrates 8.4g 3%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.