How to make Chicken Salad:
If you’re looking for the best chicken salad recipe, you may have found it. I may be a bit biased because this is how I prefer to make my chicken salad sandwiches, but you might find it’s your favorite as well.
- Every good chicken salad recipes starts with cooked chicken. Like I mentioned above, you can either buy it already cooked or make it yourself. You can choose to shred the chicken or cut it into bite sized pieces. Just toss it in a big bowl.
- Next you’ll want to chop up your fruits and veggies, as well as the nuts if they’re too big. Useful kitchen tools make all the difference, and I can’t recommend having a high quality knife set along with some fantastic cutting boards enough!
- Finally, you’ll want to stir in the mayo, or a substitute. You can measure it out, or you can just eyeball it and scoop some out with a spatula.
- Stir everything together and scoop it on top of a bed of lettuce and a piece of toast. YUM!
More chicken salad questions answered:
- How many days can you keep homemade chicken salad? Chicken salad should be kept refrigerated and not left out more than 2 hours. If properly refrigerated, chicken salad should last 3 to 5 days. Ours never lasts that long because we eat it!
- Can you freeze a chicken salad? Well, did you know mayonnaise separates when frozen? That means when it thaws, the consistency will be the same. Also, you purposely add crunch to your chicken salad recipe by adding apple and celery. If you freeze the fruit and veggies in liquid, it will simply not be the same when it thaws. My recommendation is to NOT freeze chicken salad. What you can do, however, is put shredded chicken in the freezer to easily whip up a fresh batch of chicken salad at a later date.
- What can you do with chicken salad? Besides eat it straight, on crackers, or on toast? Your guess is as good as mine!
- 4 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 3 green onions with the whites and start of the greens sliced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 sprigs parsley stems removed, diced
- 1 small apple chopped (skin on, honey crisp or pink lady recommended)
- 1/2 cup raw pecans or cashews
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup greek yogurt or mayonnaise or a combination of both
- Combine all ingredients except the yogurt/mayonnaise in large bowl and stir to combine.
- Add yogurt and/or mayonnaise and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve on a slice of toast with lettuce