Don’t you love homemade butter cream frosting?
It’s just so yummy. I could sit and eat a bowl (if I would not get sick, lol).
If you a stuck in the rut of just using canned frosting you are really missing out. Sure, it’s easy to use, but it’s no where near as good.
And to be honest Buttercream is easy to make and only takes about 6 minutes.
With homemade frosting, no one will be the wiser that the cake was from a box mix ;).
Perfect 6 Minute Buttercream
6 minCook Time
6 minTotal Time
Save Recipe My Recipes My Lists My Calendar
- 1/2 cup softened butter (salted or unsalted, depending on your preference)
- 4 cups/one pound powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-5 tablespoons milk or cream
- Add softened butter into your stand mixer or bowl
- Beat butter on medium to high in stand mixer or with a hand mixer for 3 minutes until fluffy
- Just before the end of 3 minutes add vanilla and 3 tablespoons milk to butter, keep beating
- Reduce to medium low or medium
- Slowly pour in powdered sugar and continue beating for a total of 3 more minutes on medium moving up to high speed as sugar is incorporated.
- If you want to add in food coloring, add in while it is beating that last 3 minutes.
- If frosting is too stiff add in more milk 1 tsp at a time and beat until combined.
- Spread on cake or cookies
- To store place butter cream in an airtight container and store in refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Bring to room temp prior to frosting.
Vegan Buttercream Frosting for Piping
This is it. A perfectly pipeable vegan buttercream frosting.
I’ve played with fat to sugar ratios. I’ve played with how much milk to add, if any.
I’m pretty happy with my vegan frosting. I put it on everything.
Well, not actually everything. I’d be silly to put buttercream on, say, gluten free enchiladas.
However, I do put this vegan buttercream frosting on all my desserts.
In the mood for frosted gluten free brownies? ✔️
Soft frosted gluten free sugar cookies? Lazier gluten free sugar cookies bars? Gluten free vanilla cupcakes? ✔️✔️✔️
This vegan buttercream is the solution to all of my frosting needs.
Armed with my not-so-secret-anymore tips, make some vegan buttercream frosting!
Vegan Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup palm shortening
- 1 cup vegan butter (I usually use Earth Balance)
- 1 (2 lbs) bag powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- 1-2 tablespoons dairy-free milk
- Whip the palm shortening and vegan butter using a stand mixer or heavy duty hand-held mixer for 5 minutes. Set a timer! It should be light in color, and very fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat at a low speed to combine.
- Add the dairy-free milk a teaspoon at a time, while whipping, until the frosting comes together.
- If the frosting is still too thick add a little dairy free milk.
- Add a teaspoon of milk, and then add more ½ a teaspoon at a time until your frosting is smooth and spreadable. And add the milk after the vanilla, since that will add more moisture to your frosting. If you accidentally add too much milk (it happens to the best of us) and your frosting is sloppy, too loose, or weeping, try adding ¼- ½ cup more of powdered sugar. This can sometimes help to absorb the extra liquid and save the day.
- Increase the speed and whip for another 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
You can easily half this recipe, or even make only a quarter batch.