Question: How to create a website free of cost?
Answer: Using a website builder
Looking to create a website, but don’t know where to start? Congratulations! You’ve come to the right place. On this website you’ll find everything you need to easily build a website from scratch, free or at an affordable price.
Here at SWB, we believe that online website builders are probably the best option for those who have no programming training, but want to get full control over the process of website creation. Site builders are easy-to-use, fast and affordable. These web services let you focus on what really matters – your product/business, doing all the heavy lifting for you.
Using a website builder is as simple as creating a social media account – just sign up, upload your content and start sharing.
Free of Cost Website Builders
The prevailing amount of contemporary website builders offer two alternatives. The first one implies the use of the trial period, which lasts for a specified period of time and triggers the necessity to sign up for one of the paid plans after the end of the trial. The second alternative implies the use of a ‘freemium’ (free+premium) business model, which means that you can sign up and use a basic feature set for free.
Is it enough to build a decent website? Well, it depends on a website builder and on what you call a “decent website”. In most cases, free users can’t use custom domains, add more than 5 or so pages, enable eCommerce and remove adverts that the builder places an all free websites.
To get rid of the ads, connect a custom domain and unlock more features, users have to upgrade their accounts. In other words, technically, you can design and publish your website without spending a cent, but in reality, this website will either display a noticeable ad or will be published on a subdomain. Neither of these variants works well for a decent website.
So, how to create a website for free? Follow the steps listed below to do that with ease:
- Choose a website building platform. Explore the available options to decide which free service comes up to your web design aspirations better than others and which of them will let you effectively complete your project.
- Get and connect a free domain name. The system may give you a hint on the most suitable domain name – choose the one that corresponds to your website specialization, reflects your brand name and is memorable for everyone.
- Set up and customize your website. Take your time to pick a template, create website structure, fill the pages with content. Now that you are sure your website is ready – go ahead to publish it!
Versatility of free website builders doesn’t mean that you should choose the very first service you’ll come across. There are systems, which work better for your particular web design tasks and enjoy the worldwide popularity due to their features, tools and tasks covered. Let’s take a look at the best website builders that balance the ease of use with flexibility and affordability now.
Wix – is the number one web building platform, which empowers millions of websites in almost all countries of the world. When it comes to the choice of the best free website builder, this system has no competitors. There are no users, who haven’t heard about it, if they are somehow connected with contemporary web design industry.
Wix stands out from the crowd due to its amazing collection of high quality mobile-ready templates, abundance of top notch design customization tools, versatility of features, web design approaches and other undeniable advantages.
The free Wix version lets you build a good-looking website on a Wix-branded subdomain. With a free plan, you can use almost all functional features of Wix website builder. The plan is never-ending, which makes it possible for everyone not only to test the features of the service, but to create multiple types of websites with it to practice and improve your skills. Mind, however, that a free plan comes with the system ad banner, subdomain and some other limitations.
Create a Website with Wix
uKit – is a website builder, which is a perfect pick if you’re looking to build a website for business. The platform was specially designed to meet the needs of small-to-medium-sized businesses. The website builder, however, can be equally used to launch other types of projects you might need. It is flexible and intuitive, which makes it simple to adjust it to your web building needs.
The service can boast a variety of business-specific widgets, rich collection of responsive templates, enhanced website security, nice SEO optimization and other privileges.
One of the undeniable uKit highlights is its stunning price/quality correlation – $3/mo if you enter our special code SWB-25 during checkout. The service has a free 14-day trial, which is more than enough to check and test all its functional features. At the end of the trial, you’ll be able to subscribe to one of the paid plans that come with multiple benefits. By that time, your website will be stored for a year on uKit hosting, but it won’t be accessible on the web.
Create Your Own Website with uKit
Get started today, it’s easy!
WordPress – is the most popular free Content Management System. It initially started as a blogging platform, but quickly developed into a universal web building solution. The system somewhat differs from standard website builders in terms of its complexity. This is not the best solution for newbies, who have zero web design skills, yet it works great for web designers, who have at least a bit of web building experience.
The platform offers the utmost website customization level, putting a user in charge of the web design process. It comes with a powerful blogging engine and lots of integrated features and tools needed to give your website decent performance.
With WordPress, you can create a website at no cost at all – the system is absolutely free for each user. Get ready, though, to pay for hosting and domain name of your choice to make your website accessible on the web.
See also: WordPress review.
Choose a Website Building Platform
The right choice of the website builder matters a lot, when it comes to effective project development. Whatever service you will eventually select, you should be aware of its major parameters, pros and cons, specific features. The choice of the service should also depend upon your web design needs and objectives. Here are the major aspects to consider, when looking for a decent web building tool:
- Convenience and Ease of Use. You should understand how simple a website builder is during the sign up procedure. Modern services guide you through all the stages of the web design process, providing tips and recommendations when needed.
- Template Choice. It is simpler to find a template that comes up to your niche. Experienced web designers have taken care of that already. Just add your content to the ready-made website template and enjoy the way it looks!
- Customer Support. Take your time to test the quality of customer support service to find out how quickly and reasonably it reacts to your inquiries. Anyway, you’ll work in close cooperation with them as you start working on your web design process.
- Budget. Website builders offer versatile plans to come up to any taste and financial abilities. To get the right one, consider your web design needs and check whether the plans comply with them.
Get and Connect a Free Domain Name
Domain name matters a lot, when it comes to boosting your website reputation and popularity. Is it possible to get and connect a worthy domain name for free, when working with website builders? Or you’ll still need to pay for a recognizable domain name?
Fortunately, reputable website builders frequently have special offers and discounts for premium users. Wix provides a bonus domain name for users, who subscribe to an annual plan and make a one-time payment. This lets you save up to $10-30 depending upon the domain name zone selected. You don’t have to make anything special to connect a domain to your website. It will be automatically connected as soon as you get it. That’s very simple, time-saving and convenient, indeed!
When picking a domain choice, mind the following recommendations:
- Simplicity. A domain name should be concise, simple and easy-to-remember. Length. Don’t make it too long or oversaturated with symbols: the shorter it is – the easier it will be for a user to restore it in memory.
- Recognizability. A domain name shouldn’t comprise the senseless combination of letters, symbols and numbers. Instead, it should include a word or a phrase that will be somehow related to your business, website type and specialization etc.
- Brand Reputation. A nice domain name should be the reflection of your brand identity: it should highlight and enhance your brand name, making it withstand niche competition.
Set Up and Customize Your Website
Okay, you have decided to use a website builder. What should you do to make the process a success? What are the must-have steps you should undertake to complete the task? Listed below are the points to follow when setting up and customizing your website:
- Sign up with the system of your choice. Some services make it possible to sign up by using the social network accounts, but it is also possible to use your email address.
- Select a template. Reach the template collection and explore the categories to select the theme, which corresponds to your niche specialization.
- Customize it. Access the dashboard and find out what customization tools the system offers to give your website maximum performance and the best visual appeal.
- Design your website. Now, it is high time to design your website and adjust the required settings. Upload the content you consider important and create as many pages as you need. This is the most time-taking part of the entire website creation process.
- Select the plan, which comes up to your web building needs most of all. Explore the pricing policy of the system and the features they imply. Select the plan that appeals to you most of all.
- Choose Domain Name. If you are done with your website design, choose domain name to get in online. Website builders offer one-click domain connection, thus, simplifying the process.
- Publish Your Ready Made Website. Finally, publish your website and enjoy it!
Listed above is the standard plan most website builder offer to launch a decent project. Some services, though, may additionally offer extra features, integrations or settings, but this depends upon a platform.
Congratulations on your new website!
The process of its creation may not seem simple at first, but website builders ensure exceptional ease-of-use and intuitive web building environment that enables each user to complete the task with comfort and convenience.
The question is: should website creation go down to the development process only or there is something more than that to make your project a success? Actually, the launch of a website is only one part of the web development process. As soon as you make it accessible on the web, you should take care of several important nuances, namely:
- SEO Optimization. Carefully adjust the required website SEO parameters to boost its ranking in the search engines. This helps withstand niche competition, promote your brand and eventually generate more traffic.
- Content Quality. Make sure to update your website content on a regular basis. However, pay attention to the quality of content you add. “Content Is the King” – don’t forget that!
- Social Networks. Another factor of successful website promotion is effective social media marketing. Take your time to create groups in social networks, encourage users to join them, introduce special offers to boost user loyalty and apply other marketing strategies (or develop the one of your own) to make your newly-created website popular with the target audience. May your web building effort be a success!
Step 2: Choose a Domain & Web Hosting
In order to setup your WordPress site (or any other type of website for that matter), you need two things:
1. A domain name (a web address like yourwebsite.com)2. Web hosting (the service that puts your website on the internet)
The WordPress software is free, but in order to run the software you need a domain name and hosting, which cost around $5 per month. This combination gives you a professional website that is easy to build and customize.
If you’ve got some idea of the domain name (example: yoursite.com) you’d like to use, you need to check to make sure it’s available:
If your desired domain isn’t available, come up with a different name by using synonyms or rearranging words. Once you find an available domain you are ready to move forward.
Where to get a FREE domain name with web hosting
I personally use and recommend BlueHost.com for web hosting and domain registration.
I like BlueHost for a few reasons:
- They will register your domain name for free when you purchase web hosting.
- They offer a free, automatic installation of WordPress.
- They include free professional email accounts (for example: [email protected])
- They have good customer service and offer a money-back guarantee if you are unsatisfied for any reason.
A BlueHost package will give you everything you need to get your website up and running. Here’s how to register your website with BlueHost and get WordPress installed:
1. Click here to get BlueHost for the discounted price of $2.75 per month and then click “get started now”.2. Choose your web hosting plan. The basic plan is all you need when first starting a website, so don’t waste your money on the higher level plans. Click “Select” to choose your plan.3. Put the domain name you want in the left box and click “next” to confirm that it’s available to register.
- If you already have a domain name that you have registered and want to use it for your website then type your existing domain in the right box and then click “next”. Note: The right box is only for those who have a domain they have already registered.
4. Now you need to put in all your details to get registered.5. You will also need to choose some options for your hosting package.
- The 36 month plan gives you the lowest monthly rate. The 12 month plan has a lower start-up cost. You can cancel either at anytime and get a refund for the months remaining on your plan.
- I suggest avoiding the additional products for now. They aren’t necessary and you can always add them later if you want to.
6. Now you will need to create a password for your account and then choose a design for your website, which you can easily change later.
Now WordPress will be installed. When the installation is complete click “Start Building” to login to your WordPress website.
You will get an email with your website login information. Make sure to keep track of your login info!
Having trouble installing WordPress? Get help here.
Design your site and make it look great
The design of your website is essential, and people will form an opinion about your business based on the look and feel of it. Visitors will make an instant decision (in 3 seconds or less) whether to stay on your site or move on. To make an impact, it’s important to have great design.
Depending on the type of the website and the way you choose to build it, you will have some options as far as selecting a design for your site. If you decide to use CMS or web builder, you will be dealing with the pre-made theme and templates. Key things to keep in mind about your website design are the following:
- Use clean design
- Make sure it’s mobile optimized
- Fit your site’s niche and goals
- One or two columns layout is the best option
- Use unique design elements
- Make it easy to navigate
If you are looking for customized options using some of the platforms mentioned above or creating a website from scratch, you can turn to professional web designer/developer.
Write and prepare your content
Content is information that will be presented on your site. It’s important to create and maintain useful, unique, and clear content so your visitors can easily understand your message. Poorly written and badly presented material can frustrate and discourage visitors from staying on your website or coming back.
There are two questions you have to consider when creating content:
- Is the content relevant and exciting to your audience?
- How should the content be presented to your target audience?
Today, search engines reward (by ranking them higher) websites that make an effort to create quality content to educate people in their niche. You will have to make sure your content is: unique, relevant, legit, and current.
Once you have an overview of your website plan/sitemap, you can drill down to the specifics of the content you need to create for a website launch. It will be important to create evergreen content (content that will not be changing much and will appear on the static pages) and also important to have fresh content appearing on your website on a regular basis.
Test before and after launch
Beta testing. Launching your website is an exciting process and people eager to get it live as soon as possible. With all the excitement, often people ignore the testing step. It’s critical you test your website before it goes live. The testing process can seem overwhelming, and you are not sure where to start. We are here to tell you that it’s not that complicated, you just have to check the following points carefully:
- Content related materials (spelling, punctuation, etc.)
- Design related elements (images, fonts, etc.)
- Web development items ( live URLs, broken links, etc.)
- Search engine optimization details ( title tags, meta data, etc.)
- Network administrator areas (hosting, backup system, etc.)
Post-launch. Once your website goes live, you need to have a strategy in place on what to do next and how to maintain your site. Here are some basic things to consider:
- Prepare your site for promotion.
- Prepare to measure website stats.
- Find maintenance if and when needed.
- Make sure you backup your site.
- Collect visitor’s feedback.
Frequently Asked Questions
Creating a website is not as complicated as it was before. Today, you don’t have to know much about technology to develop and successfully run your own site. That’s because there are more than few popular content management systems that are designed for the users. So, the first thing you should do is to choose a content management system. Although it depends on the site you want, we would strongly suggest self-hosted WordPress.
- Choose a reliable hosting provider for your site and register a domain
- Install and set up WordPress
- Choose a theme and customize it to your needs
- Find best plugins, install them and configure
The cost of making a website depends on a lot of different factors. If you decide to build your site with WordPress, you can get a new site for less than $50. For example, hosting a WP site with Bluehost will cost you only $2.95 per month, and that includes the registration of a custom domain! You will definitely need to invest a few bucks extra on a premium theme (which will probably be something in a range of $40-120), maybe a few premium plugins (on average, a plugin will cost you about $70), but that’s pretty much it.
On the other hand, if you want a custom website, you should go much deeper in your pocket. For a quality custom design, you will have to pay something in a range of $1,000 – $3,000 when working with a freelancer, and don’t be surprised if an agency asks more than $10,000 for a custom design. Custom e-stores might cost you up to $50,000.
WordPress is the most popular content management system, and because of that, the internet is swamped with tutorials, articles, videos and different guides that will help you to learn WordPress. But you don’t have to go far and dig deep to find what you need. We at First Site Guide have prepared everything you will need to learn WordPress.
Majority of businesses today have gone online. Which means that a lot of domains are unavailable, especially those that end up in .com extension. So if you are trying to register a new domain, the chances are it is already taken. But don’t worry, there are still ways to go around that:
- See If the Domain Is for Sale – although your preferred domain might be taken, you can still get it in some cases. You can go to Domaintools and check if the domain you want is open for sale.
- Set Up Domain Monitoring – if you set up a domain monitor, it can notify you when your desired name becomes available.
- Try different extensions – while yourdomain.com might be taken, try registering yourdomain.net, yourdomain.eu or yourdomain.io.
- Use a different keyword – if you can’t get the business name for your domain, you can always use a different name or maybe a keyword. Try to think of a slogan or a catchphrase that would be a good fit.
Whatever you decide to do, don’t rush because Bluehost allows you to skip the registration of the domain. So you can focus on building your website, while you can register the domain anytime later.
It’s not a question of choice anymore – if you want to run a proper site, you just have to switch from HTTP to HTTPS and secure the blog. Luckily, Bluehost has made it easy for everyone to make the switch. After logging in, it takes just one click to secure your site with the SSL:
- Login to your Bluehost account
- Click on “My Sites” from the menu
- Choose “Manage Site” option (it shows on the main screen)
- Select the “Security” tab which is located on top of the page
- Toggle the “Free SSL Certificate” switch by clicking on it
Please note that it might take several hours before the SSL certificate becomes active on your site.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this guide to creating a website. Remember that nothing you do in website creation is permanent. Many websites evolve as time goes by. The key is to do the best you can in the beginning with your website and to always look for opportunities to improve it. There are always more things to learn, so feel free to visit our Resources and Guides pages to improve your webmaster skills.
Duda is all about personalization. It has built-n tool that can allow you to create personal one-on-one experiences for users. It also lets you build sites that are specifically for mobile. It’s another decked out drag-and-drop website tool that’s easy to use and gives great results.
Sometimes all you need is an online portfolio, and StudentShow is the tool to use. StudentShow by Behance is an online community for students to upload their work and get real-time feedback. It’s a great way to build a personal network and get hired.
What will you learn in this guide?
My name is Scott Chow, and I’m a web design expert. I’ve been working online since 2002, building many successful websites of my own, and now I want to share my knowledge with you in this free guide.
The steps in this guide will give you everything you need to have a professional looking website for your business or online venture. To give you an idea of what is in this guide, let’s look at a quick summary of what you’ll learn:
Why Should You Start a Website Today?
The internet is the easiest way to get in front of millions of people from all over the world. It is truly a global marketplace and a website helps you to leverage its power to your advantage.
Whether your goal is to make money, or simply share your ideas, there is no more efficient and effective way to accomplish those goals than through your own website.
The major benefits to having your own website are: