Are you looking for the newest version of Kodi? This article will explain how to download and install Kodi 18 or Kodi 17.6, the two newest versions available.
The Kodi Foundation has been working on a new version of Kodi that is codenamed “Kodi 18 Leia.” Unfortunately, what they have so far is not yet stable enough for them to recommend it as the “official” version. However, many users have reported that the current version works just fine. So you can always try it out if you want to.
Meanwhile, Kodi users can also utilize the current official release of the software, called “Kodi 17.6 Krypton”. Version 17.6 fixed several bugs and security issues that existed with earlier Kodi versions. Kodi 17.6 Krypton should be stable for most systems.
Read on to find out how to download and install either of these Kodi versions.
See also: Kodi 18 build – what we know so far
How to Install Kodi 17.6 Krypton on FireStick
The task of installing Kodi 17.6 Krypton on FireStick is simple. Moreover, you do not need to be a tech geek in order to achieve your objective. Here is how you can do:
- From your Fire TV Stick, go to settings
- Choose Device/System option then select “Developer Options”
- You must enable “ADB Debugging” and “Apps from Unknown Sources”
- You should go to Settings and open Applications, do not forget to switch off Collect App Usage Data
- You can follow the below mentioned steps provided in the next heading to install Kodi 17.6 on FireStick
How to Install Kodi 17.6 Krypton on Firestick with ES Explorer
Now that you have a Kodi VPN with you, you’re all set to enter the world of on-demand entertainment with zero restrictions. VPNRanks brings step-by-step illustration on how to setup Kodi on Firestick without computer in 2018.
- Plug the Amazon Fire Stick into your television
- Now access Settings, select System and tap on Developer Options
- From Developer Options, enable all three options namely ADB debugging, USB debugging and Apps from Unknown Sources
- Now, from the top of Fire TV screen, tap on the search box, type ES File Explorer and hit enter
- Next, Install ES File Explorer that is displayed with a blue icon
- Once the installation is completed, launch ES File Explorer and from top left corner of the screen click on add favorite
- A new window will appear, type in http://kodi.tv
- Click on Next; you will be asked to enter a name for favorite. Enter any name for e.g. kodi7
- Finally, a confirmation window will appear displaying Add to favorite, proceed by clicking on Add
- Now, from left menu pane, find the freshly created Kodi favorite and tap on it. You will see Kodi page on preview side, click on Downloads, as shown in picture below
- Next, Downloads page will open, scroll down and click on ARM version for Android OS. As show in picture below
- Now, go to menu from bottom of the page, click on Open in browser and wait for few seconds
- Next, Kodi download will start. Once the download is finished, click on Open file and proceed by installing Kodi
- Now wait for few seconds till installation is completed
- Once installation is finished, you’re all set to enjoy the greatest entertainment platform on earth
When you have successfully installed Kodi on Firestick, you are just a click away to watch tons of popular movies, TV shows, hit videos, pictures and much more. In addition to this, the best Kodi addons will provide live sports, radio, shows, movies, news & gaming matches to subscribers around the globe.
How to download Kodi Krypton 17.6 on Amazon FireStick with ADB Debugging
This method involves downloading Kodi APK file on your computer, and then by using an Android Debug Bridge the file is installed on your system. It becomes really simple when you start on with the steps highlighted below:
Step 1: Insert FireStick onto your TV > Go to Settings > Then System > Click on Developer Options
Step 2: Enable Apps from Unknown Sources and ADB Debugging
Step 3: Again go to Settings > Then System > Click on About > Then tap on Network
Step 4: Note your FireStick’s IP address
Step 5: Open your computer > Download Kodi on FireStick with Kodi APF File
Step 6: Now Download the ADB Link for Windows, Linux, Mac OS
Step 7: Once you open the ADB Link, click on New
Step 8: Enter a random name of your FireStick > Enter IP Address > Select Save
Step 9: Hit Connect > You will see that your IP address of FireStick will appear on the Connected Devices
Step 10: Choose your device and select Install APK > Here you would need to locate the APK file that was downloaded earlier
Step 11: Press Yes when asked upon > Press OK when the installation is completed > With this, you’re good to download Kodi 17.6 on FireStick
How to Install Kodi on Firestick with FireDL
Step 1: Open Firestick > Click on Settings > Then System > Developer Options > Now Tun ON Apps from Unknown Sources and ADB Debugging
Step 2: Go to Firestick Home > Launch Amazon App Store > Now Install the FireDL app
Step 3: Once installed, open FireDL app > When asked upon, provide the code 600003 to install Kodi 17.3 or type 205742 for the new Kodi version 17.6 > Now add Kodi to Firestick and Enjoy!
How to Install Kodi 17.6 Krypton on Firestick with Downloader
Step 1: Open Firestick Home > Go to Amazon App Store > Type Downloader > Click and Install
Step 3: Now enter the URL http://kodi.tv/download > Click Go > Select ARM 32 or 64 – Bit according to your system requirement
Step 4: Click Download > Wait for the installation to complete
Step 5: Load Kodi to Firestick and Enjoy!
How to Install Kodi on Firestick with AppStarter
Step 1: Enable ADB Debugging and Apps from Unknown Sources by going through Settings > System > Developer Options
Step 2: Go back to Firestick Home > Then Search menu > Type ES File Explorer > Download it if you haven’t installed
Step 3: Now open ES File Explorer > On the left-side menu, Expand Favorites > Then click on Add > A box will appear with two options i.e. Path and Name.
Step 4: Type http://fs.belupix.de on the Path option > Type AppStarter on the name option > Now click on Add > AppStarter will be added on ES File Explorer Favorites
Step 5: On ES File Explorer, expand Favorites option again on the left-side menu > Here you will see AppStarter, click on it > Another box will appear with name AppStarterv4.0.zip > You need to click on the file so that the downloading begins
Step 6: Once the file is downloaded, another pop-up box will appear > Here you need to click on Open File > This will install AppStarter on Firestick > Click Install
Step 7: Open AppStarter App > On the left-side menu, click on Updates > Kodi option will appear on the list, click Install to start Kodi installation
Step 8: AppStarter will now install the latest version of Kodi > After few minutes, Kodi 2018 FireStick will require access, click Install again > Open Kodi > Enjoy!
How to Setup Kodi on FireStick / Fire TV
You do not need to be a tech geek to learn the art of installing Kodi on Firestick, Fire TV, and Fire TV Cube. Here is how you can do:
- Click on Settings>Device
- You will find a different term like “My Fire TV” on Fire TV Cube
- Through Developer Options> Activate “Apps from Unknown Sources “ option
- Go to Fire TV or Firestick then search “Downloader”
- Click on Downloader icon, click on Select button provided on remote to start downloading
- You must click Open to launch Downloader, click Allow>OK
- You will need to open keyboard by clicking Select button from remote
- Write http://kodi.tv/download and click go
- Kodi will be downloaded automatically
- You can click install to setup Kodi
- This way, Kodi will be installed on Firestick or Fire TV
- Once you have installed Kodi, you can click Open
- You will see a Kodi home screen
- You can exit Kodi home screen to go back to Fire TV home screen
- You can click Delete to remove Kodi installation file
- You should click Delete again and go to Fire TV Stick or Fire TV home screen
- You can click on home button given on your Fire TV stick to see another screen
- You should highlight Kodi and click Move
- You will see the front side of apps list, tap on Select button to place Kodi shortcut
- You will see Kodi Shortcut on Fire TV Stick or Fire TV home screen through Apps & Games section
This is how you can setup Kodi 17.6 Krypton version of Kodi on Fire TV or Fire TV screen hassle-free.
How to Install Kodi on Firestick Using Windows
If you are a Windows user and want to enjoy streaming Kodi on Firestick through Windows, here is how you should do:
- From Settings>System>Developer Options>Activate Apps from Unknown Sources and ADB Debugging
- Go back to home screen, through Setting>System>About to write your IP address
- You should download Adblink for Windows http://jocala.com/
- You must download ARM APK file https://kodi.tv/
- You should launch Adblink, click on New button too
- Type ay name of your choice for the reference
- Mention IP address of your Fire TV in the Address field
- After clicking save, you should connect
- You can see your IP address of Fire TV in connected devices
- You should click the Install APK button and then choose Kodi APK
- Click Open and confirm, go to Apps>locate Kodi app
How to Install Kodi on Firestick Using Mac
The same applies to Mac users too. It means you can install Kodi on amazon Firestick with Mac quite easily. Here is the list of steps you should follow:
- Go to Settings>System>Developer Options>Activate Apps from Unknown Sources and ADB Debugging
- Go to System again>About>Network and note your IP address
- You should go to Download Adblink for OS X page, click on “Begin Download” button
- From https://kodi.tv/download/ , download the ARM file
- You should launch Adblink on your Mac, click New button
- You must write Firestick in the description box
- Mention Firestick IP address in the Address bar
- Click Save and select FireStick Current Device
- Click connect to see Firestick under Current Devices
- Click Install APK button and go to Kodi APK installation file you downloaded earlier
- You should click Yes to let Adblink install Kodi on Fire TV Stick through Mac
How to install Kodi 18 Leia Alpha Version on FireStick
You can install Kodi 18 Leia version on Firestick without any fuss. This is because you will not find much difference between the user interfaces of these two versions. However, you should keep in mind that Kodi Leia has not released its stable version yet.
Fortunately, you can go for its alpha version that is easily available. Moreover, you will have to follow the same installation procedure, which you have opted to install Kodi 17.6 version on Firestick.
How to Install VPN on Firestick
Step 1: First you need to enable Apps from Unknown Sources and ADB Debugging
Step 2: Go to Firestick Home > Open Kodi application > Now follow install VPN on Kodi setup to complete the process
For further detail regarding Firestick VPN check out the in depth details of Free VPNs for Firestick as well as Best VPN apps for Firestick (paid).
Yes, Kodi works perfectly well with FireStick and literally presents a number of ways to install Kodi on FireStick 2018. You may not find Kodi app on the Amazon App Store, but other ways to install Kodi FireStick is equally reliable.In fact, Kodi and FireStick compliments well each other. Kodi is a free app, while FireStick is probably the cheapest device that could stream a content directly on your TV. Get this device for under $20, install Kodi on it, and make your TV a home cinema.
Kodi is a free open-source software, available for all platforms and operating systems that streams media content with the help of Kodi add-ons. Just like Android, it is free to use and install, while it remains open for any third-party developer to create add-ons for streaming media content. Kodi interface is subject to change according to your likings which makes watching Movies and TV Shows a fun experience.
Kodi for FireStick can be installed with various methods such as Downloader app, ES File Explorer, Apps2Fire, and many other methods provided in the guide above. In all these methods, Kodi FireStick is installed easily so you can watch Movies and TV Shows.
You can follow simple steps to update your Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick in no time. The list of steps includes:
- Open your Fire TV>Device>Developer Options> Apps from Unknown Sources
- Through your Fire TV screen>Search tab>Write ‘Downloader’ to explore downloader app>Download>Open
- Write the URL http://kodi.tv/download>Download> A popup will appear that ask you about downloading the latest Kodi version
- Click install and complete the installation process
Before installing the latest version of Kodi from Fire TV Stick, you will need to remove or install the existing version. By doing so, you are able to achieve your objective as per your needs. Here is how you should do:
- Go to your Amazon Fire TV Stick and choose Settings>Applications>Manage Installed Applications
- Explore Kodi by scrolling through the apps list
- Choose Kodi then select ‘Uninstall’ in the next screen
- Please confirm on the next screen and let the process finish
This is how you can remove Kodi from Amazon Fire TV Stick in no time.
Kodi on Various Platforms other than FireStick
Kodi is available on various platforms other than FireStick, they are listed below:
Wrapping Things Up
While streaming fans and subscribers praise Amazon Firestick for its user friendly like interface, users have begun to get even more from their Firestick by installing Kodi/XBMC. This 2018 guide is to install Kodi on Firestick 17.6 Krypton as well as install Kodi on Fire Stick on Kodi 18 Leia will help you to get the best entertainment platform on your device within a matter of seconds.
In addition to this, a Kodi VPN will allow you to stream latest movies, shows, documentaries, music videos and more media without the problem of geo-restrictions. If you face any issues with the setup procedure, feel free to drop a comment below.
How to download and install Kodi 18 Leia Alpha 2
The final and fully stable version of Kodi 18 is expected to be released sometime this year. Still, there are so many useful new features in it that you may want to use it now even before the final version is released. If you want to try out Kodi 18 Leia, here is how to install the current Alpha test version.
Note: If you already have a previous version of Kodi installed, the settings from your old version should transfer to the new version during installation. However, you should always backup your settings just in case something goes wrong.
For Nvidia Shield, Android phone or tablet, Windows or Mac PC:
- Navigate to the official download page for Kodi
- Select the icon for your operating system (Android for Nvidia Shield)
- Click the Pre release tab
- Click the installer button for Alpha 2
- On Android or Nvidia Shield, enable unknown sources. You can do this is on most Android devices by tapping settings → security → unknown sources → OK, and on Nvidia Shield by clicking settings → security and restrictions → unknown sources.
- On a PC, right-click the file and select open. On Nvidia Shield or Android phone/tablet, download a file manager program such as ES File Explorer or ZenUI’s File Manager to find the file and open it.
- A dialogue box will appear asking if you want to install Kodi. Click next to continue
- When Kodi finishes installing, you will see another dialogue box that says “Kodi has been installed on your computer. Click finish to close setup.” Click the box that says run kodi, then click finish.
- Wait a few seconds for Kodi 18 Leia to load
Related articles: How to install the Kodi Android app and how to install Kodi on Nvidia Shield
For Amazon Fire Stick:
- From your Fire Stick main menu, go to settings → system → developer options
- Turn on apps from unknown sources
- Go back to the main menu and search for the ES File Explorer app
- Install the ES File Explorer app and open it
- When the ES File Explorer app opens, select favorites
- Choose add
- In the field that says “path source,” type this url: https://kodi.tv/download
- In the space that says “name”, type Kodi
- Scroll down the list on the left side and select Kodi. The Kodi download page will now appear
- The Amazon Fire Stick is an android device, so scroll down the page and select Android
- From the tabs along the top of the page, select Pre release
- Click the ARMV7A (32 bit) button
- When the download finishes, select open file. Kodi 18 Leia will begin installing
See also: How to install Kodi on Amazon Fire Stick
For iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV:
New features in Kodi 18
Here are some of the new features only available in Kodi 18 Leia.
- Music library now reads metadata. This makes it easier to organize music
- Improved support for remote controls and game controllers
- A set of features that allows for retro games (Nintendo, SEGA, Atari, etc.) to be played through Kodi
- A set of features that makes it easier to record live television using a TV tuner and over-the-air antenna
- A “skinning engine” that makes it easier for users to create unique Kodi skins
- Speech-to-text for Android devices that lets you search for movies and shows by talking
- Digital Rights Management (DRM) will make more websites compatible with Kodi
- New version for Xbox One