Hickeys are usually not painful or dangerous for the receiver and mean different to different people. To some, they are something to be proud of and a sign of love while to others they are often not desired and need to be hidden or removed. This article is designed to improve your knowledge about hickeys such as how to remove them, hide them or give them to your partner according to your needs.
How long do Hickeys Last?
If you have a hickey, the first question that comes to mind is, “How long does a hickey last?” A hickey is not a permanent mark. It fades with time and does not leave any scar behind. If untreated, hickeys typically last about 5 to 12 days. However, hickeys may linger for some time because of:
- Harshness- some hickeys are more severe than others are and take a longer time to heal. The amount of damage done to the blood vessels in the skin will affect the time it takes for the hickey to fade away.
- Personal Health- your personal health also affects how long you will have to live with a hickey. The healthier you are, the faster the hickey will fade.
How to Give a Hickey?
Having been a victim of a hickey, you may be seeking payback. Make sure your partner actually wants one before giving him or her a hickey. However, if you want to give your partner a hickey for another reason, here is how to give someone a hickey.
1. Know the Why
Before you give someone a hickey, try to understand why you are doing it. Hickeys are a primitive way of “marking territory” and they symbolize love and trust between people. You do not give your partner a hickey just because you know how to give a hickey; a hickey is a lot more than just a bruise.
Giving someone a hickey can cause them pain, and some people do not believe in them. They do not see how causing a loved one pain can be a symbol of love.
2. Be considerate
Try to find out what your partner’s feelings about hickeys are. Some people do not like hickeys or see them as an inconvenience. Others treasure them and see them as a mark of affection. Knowing how your partner feels about having a hickey will help you decide whether to proceed. It might also prevent any problems giving a hickey might cause.
3. How do you give a Hickey?
There are several ways to give a hickey. You can do it by sucking, kissing aggressively or biting the tender flesh found on the neck, the crook of the elbow or the inner thigh. If you want the hickey to be seen, the neck is the best choice. Sucking is the easiest way to give someone a hickey.
- To give your partner a hickey, place your mouth on their neck in a kissing shape.
- Your lips should be partially open such that they form an “O” shape. Suck the person’s skin into your mouth.
- The sucking has to be hard enough to cause the blood capillaries in the skin to rupture. You should keep the sucking up for about 30 seconds.
- If you find this to be uncomfortable, you can do it intermittently, but in the same area, about 10 seconds each time.
If you are not good at sucking, you can use your teeth to give the hickey. Nibble on your partner’s neck for some time to achieve this. However, this technique should be used as a last resort since you might end up hurting your partner. It is not too romantic either.
4. Wait for the Results
After you have finished, wait for the hickey to appear. Like most bruises, hickeys can take 5 to 10 minutes to appear. If you want to make the hickey a little darker after it has appeared, you can suck on it a little more.
In conclusion, we can learn three simple things about hickeys:
- First, a hickey is an injury. It needs to be allowed to heal. If you have a severe hickey or several hickeys that are causing you pain, you can remove them using the methods discussed.
- Second, a hickey can cause you a measure of embarrassment or discomfort. If you are not comfortable with a hickey, you can choose to conceal or remove it. You can conceal a hickey using makeup, hair or clothing.
- Finally, a hickey is a symbol of love. If your partner gave you a hickey, whether intentional or accidental, it should not be a cause of conflict between you. Giving you a hickey is a sign of how much they value you.
Check out our other HOW TO, DIY and HOME REMEDIES articles.
How to Hide Hickeys
A few tips can help you conceal your love bite until it completely heals. Here is what you can do to hide a hickey.
1. Use the right clothing and accessories to hide a hickey
This is a very good method to cover up your love bites or hickeys. The good thing about clothes and accessories is that they give you complete coverage to allow healing for as many days as possible. You can try using items such as collared shirts, turtlenecks and scarves for hickeys around the neck. If you have hickeys on your upper arms, consider wearing sleeved clothes. Another interesting way of keeping it hidden is using a first aid bandage and creating a story around it such as cutting, getting scratches or burns!
2. Use your hair as cover to hide a hickey
This will work for girls and guys with long hair. Style your hair in such a way that it ends up covering the love bite. This might however, require constant checking to ensure the coverage is still on. You can also use hair accessories such as scarves that drop down the neck but remain stylish. If you have short hair that is not doing you much justice in hiding what you wish to keep hidden, you can choose to get a long weave or buy a stylish wig to serve your needs for just the moment you need it to. A weave or wig might however not work for you if you are a guy.
3. Use makeup to hide hickeys
On areas that are hard to cover such as the cheeks, you might need makeup to do the hiding trick for you. The good thing is that even guys can try on a little makeup without looking all girlish and made-up. Applying green corrector to the red hickey should make it less visible. You can also try using a skin tone concealer mixed with yellow concealer until you achieve a color matching your natural skin tone. Then apply this using a makeup brush to hide a hickey. You then have to spread it out by dabbing to achieve an even looking skin. Foundation can be topped to complete the look. A fake tan can also help you keep your intimate results hidden for several days.
Next time you allow someone to leave a mark of love on you, make sure that you are comfortable enough to carry it around without any issues or you are ready to start the process of getting rid of it or hiding it till it completely clears. It is the price you pay for the pleasure you get from the session! More detailed information regarding how to hide a hickey can be found here – https://www.wikihow.com/Hide-a-Hickey
Related Posts – how to get rid of a hickey
how to give someone a hickey