- It's amazing how many easy remedies there are to relieve puffy eyes around the home. Salt water helps get rid of the water retention in your eye bags, similar to osmosis. Mix 1/2 a teaspoon of salt in 4 cups of lukewarm water, then soak some cotton pads in the saline water. Place these cotton pads over your eyes for a few minutes. Repeat the process for 20 minutes.
- Isn't this what we always use to soothe our bruises and swelling? Since cold water helps to constrict blood vessels, it can reduce the swelling around your eyes as well. Rinse your face with a few splashes of ice cold water, or wrap an ice cube in a cloth and place it over your eyes for a few minutes. Do this throughout the day if needed.
- Yes, it's as simple as that. The swelling of your under-eye area is caused by water retention due to a lack of hydration in your body. To stay well-hydrated, make sure you drink enough water throughout the day. A good gauge would be to check the colour of your urine – if it's clear or light yellow and odorless, you're good. The darker and more pungent your urine is, the more dehydrated you probably are.
- Another simple remedy is to hold the rounded portion of a chilled spoon against your eye until it turns warm. This will help tighten the skin around your eye and relax the blood vessels in that area, soothing your puffy eye. Just place a few spoons in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to chill them before use.
- Green tea bags or black tea bags are most effective in helping to soothe puffy eyes. After brewing your tea in the morning, place the used tea bags in the refrigerator for around 30 minutes to cool them down. Place the chilled tea bags over your eyes for 15 minutes and repeat twice throughout the day until you are satisfied with the results.
- Cucumbers contain enzymes that help reduce inflammation and tighten the skin around the eye. Simply place a chilled cucumber slice over your eye until warm, and repeat the process a few times throughout the day. Great for home facials as well!
- Like cucumbers, potatoes contain anti-inflammatory properties that can help soothe an irritated or swollen eye. All you have to do is to peel, wash and dry a potato, then grate it and place the shavings in a clean cloth. Tie up the cloth and place it over your eyes for several minutes. Repeat until you see results.
- Strawberries contain alpha hydroxy acid that makes skin look youthful, while reducing swelling and puffiness. Just place some strawberries in the refrigerator to chill them for 30 minutes, then cut them into thick slices and place them over your eyes for several minutes.
- Take one egg, separate the yolk and the white, then whip up the white until stiff. Brush the solution over your under-eye area and leave on for five minutes. Wash off with cold water. The egg white will help to tighten your skin, and in turn make your skin look less puffy.
Have you been suffering from a lack of sleep lately? Cried a lot last night before going to sleep? Or maybe you’re experiencing puffy eyes due to genetics, allergies, or a cause unknown. Either way, you have work the next day and you need some quick-fix remedies using whatever you have at home. Fret not, we have just the solution for you!
Fixing those puffy eyes are going to be simpler than you think from now on. Home remedies are as natural as drinking water, using a cold compress around your eyes, or even using egg whites as an eye mask. We’ve elaborated more in our gallery, as you’ll see. We hope you find a handy solution for your puffy eye problem with these quick and easy tricks – you’ll soon be able to present yourself confidently at work once more!
Photos: Getty Images