By: Casey Davidson
There is nothing tackier than the post Valentine’s Day hook-up badge, aka the hickey. Even though almost everyone has gotten one before, having an inflamed scarlet patch of skin on your neck makes you feel like a complete tramp. So before you cower under a giant scarf, or badly cover up your red patches with some cheap make-up you bought from Wal-mart; take a deep breath and keep reading for some tips and tricks to eliminating your embarrassing hickeys.
Before proceeding with the treatments assess the state of your hickey. Depending on the length of time you have had the hickey, certain methods are better than others. If you hickey is newly formed then you should use cold methods of treatment, if you have an aged hickey (48 hours) use hot treatments.
• Frozen spoon method: Take a few spoons and place them in the freezer. Once all the spoons have gotten cold, place a cloth or a paper towel on top of the spot you are treating and firmly press the curved underside of the spoon where you have your hickey, slowly rubbing it around the area. When you find that your spoon has gotten warm, simply grab another frozen spoon out of the freezer and repeat the same process.
• Ice cube method: Take an ice cube and place it in a cloth or ziplock bag. With this you will then want to rub the smooth side of the ice cube on the hickey just like the frozen spoon method.
• Warm washcloth method: Take a washcloth and soak it in hot water. Take two fingers and wrap them in the washcloth and use your fingers to massage your hickey.
• Coin method: Find a coin, it doesn’t matter what kind. With one hand stretch your skin around you hickey and with the other hand take the coin and use its edge to scratch the hickey. This is one of the more painful methods, but it can be the most effective. One thing before you decide to choose this method be careful not to make the hickey worse. If you scratch too hard or if you overly irritate the area the hickey could double in size. Before trying this method try one of the hot or cold treatments.
• Eraser method: Take a small pencil eraser and place it any where on your hickey. Next begin to twist the eraser left and right moving it all around the hickey. Again, this method could possibly make the hickey worse, so be careful not to overly irritate the area.
For your sake I hope these tips help you to keep it classy this Valentine’s Day. Have fun and remember to keep some extra spoons in your freezer!
How to camouflage the hickey
All of the home remedies to get rid of the hickey described above are very effective and speed up the healing process, but you should be aware that no home, pharmaceutical or medical treatment can remove the hickey instantly. If a hickey is not something acceptable in your environment, e.g. at work or if you simply don’t feel comfortable exposing it, try to hide it for the first two to three days, while it’s still highly visible.
Try covering makeup. There are hundreds of products on the market that are designed to cover blemishes and imperfections. The thicker the product is, the better coverage it provides. For a dark red hickey choose an apricot-colored concealer. You might have to apply two or three layers to cover the hickey well, but it should work. Don’t forget to blend it on the surrounding skin so that the makeup looks natural. Otherwise, it will draw attention just like the hickey would.
A roll-neck top should instantly solve the problem of the hickey visibility as it covers at least half of the neck. If a hickey accident happens to you in the summertime and wearing a roll neck is not an option, try a scarf, preferably made of a light, breathing fabric so that you don’t feel tempted to take it off in the middle of a hot, sunny day.
If you have long hair and the hickey is on the side or the back of your neck, then just wear your hair down for w few days, until the skin heals completely. If you are one of those people who constantly play with their hair, try to control yourself so that you don’t accidentally uncover the embarrassing hickey.
The second method: Brush your hickey
Well, it is a strange method, but many people swear that it works. Take a toothbrush or a hairbrush and tenderly rub your hickey and an area surrounding it. Do not rub aggressively, as you will only make a hickey larger. Rub it for five minutes and then wait 15 minutes. Redness and a swallow will become larger, but in additional 15 minutes they will disappear.
Then you have to apply a cooling compress, as it has been described above. You can repeat a procedure if you need. Depending on the size of your hickey this technique can help you or make a spot little wider. As you understand, the trick is to make blood flow faster in the hickey to remove excessive blood from tissue.
Warning: It is necessary to use a clean brush; otherwise it is a risk to get an infection.
The third method: A lucky coin
Maybe, this way to get rid of hickeys is the most painful and the strangest. You have to stretch your skin affected by hickey. Then take a coin and begin to rub your skin with its ridge. Imagine that your skin is a toast and you have to spear some butter on it with a coin. Do not press on your skin too heavily, as you can cause another bleeding; however, you have to make is strong enough.
Related: How to get rid of acne overnight and see dreams simultaneously?
Somebody affirms that this method helps to remove blood from capillaries. The rubbing will cause redness, but it will disappear faster, than a hickey. Anyway, if you need to explain, it is easier to explain redness than a hickey.
Warning: try to clean a coin as better as possible; do not be aggressive, as you can cut your skin.
The sixth method: Cosmetics to cover a hickey
A very effective way to cover your hickey is to use specialized cosmetics with tint properties:
- BB creams;
- Masking pencils;
For example, you can find a special toner with green tint developed to mask redness.
Here are the steps to follow if you want to mask your hickey as a professional:
- Take a small brush;
- Apply some yellow consealer with the brush to an inner part of a hickey;
- Apply green toner to an external part of a hickey;
- They you have to apply some liquid powder to a hickey to remove an impression that you are trying to hide something.
Warning: Use only approved cosmetics. We advise you to follow all prescriptions and check yourself for a probable allergy for the components. Do not use too much cosmetics, as you can stop up your pores and have further problems.
The seventh method: Clothes or hair
It is another effective way to cover your hickey. Wear high collars, scarves, shirts or blouses. You can also make some experiments with jewelry to attract everybody to other parts of your body.
However, there are some tips that you should follow:
- Wear clothes that will attract an attention to other parts of your body, but not to a hickey;
- Do not wear anything interesting on your neck;
- It is obvious that if you wear a sweater, for example, in July, you will be too attractive.
Warning: try to get clothes that let your skin breathe.
The tenth method: Fresh potatoes
Potato is a great vegetable that has a famous curing property. It is used to get rid of different problems, including hickeys.
Here is a recipe:
- Cut some rounds from potato;
- Apply one potato round to a hickey;
- Keep it for 20 minutes;
- Then change a potato round for another;
- If you want, you can massage a hickey;
- Repeat the whole procedure for an hour every day.
Warning: use only fresh and ripe potatoes. Green potatoes contain poison, and rot ones can contain dangerous germs.
The eleventh method: Aloe
If you grow an aloe in your place, you are a lucky person. Cut some aloe leaves and brew it with vodka for some hours.
After infusion is ready, moisten some pieces of cloth with it and make a compress. Keep the compress on your hickey for maximum 10 minutes.
Warning: Be 100% sure that you have an aloe, but not something else. If you are not sure about a plant, do not use it for curing and ask a professional for help. Do not use any plant for curing that are not mentioned here.
The thirteenth method: Cabbage leafs
Simple cabbage is a very popular vegetable among alternative medicine fans. It is considered as a great remover of effects of bruises and injuries. Just apply a cabbage leaf to your hickey and wait for an hour. You can repeat the procedure if it is needed.
Warning: If you are not sure that you are going to use cabbage, do not perform this method. Carefully clean leafs from any dirt before applying it to your skin.
The sixteenth method: Garlic and onion mixture
These vegetables are known in alternative medicine. They can remove swelling and redness and cure your hickey at all.
Here is the recipe of a hickey curing compress:
- Take equal amounts of garlic, onion and salt.
- You cave to chop or powder the ingredients to get a homogeneous after mixing them. It is better to use blender.
- Then take a piece of cloth and put a paste on it.
- Apply this compress to your hickey. Don’t forget to put a cloth between a compress and skin in order to avoid burns.
If you do not have blender or one of the ingredients, you can just apply some cut onion or garlic to your skin for a short time as an alternative to the method.
Warning: Garlic and onion can harm your skin because of different substances they contain. It is dangerous to apply a compress for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise there is a risk to get a serious burn. Do not repeat this method more than once a day.
The seventeenth method: Anti-bruise medicines
This method is very good, as nowadays you can find any kind of medicine you need. Some anti-trauma creams can help you with hickeys. Usually they have to be applied to the skin two or three times a day.
They can remove pain (for the cases of extreme hickeys), swelling and redness. However, even this method cannot guarantee you a very fast effect, so, maybe, you will need to mix it with other methods of hiding your hickeys.
Warning: Please read all the prescriptions to the medicines. Check yourself for a probable allergy to components. Use only approved and certified kinds of medicines.
The eighteenth method: Solarium or sunbath
It is a good method of hiding a hickey. Your skin’s color will become equal everywhere. However, going to solarium can be an expensive way, and going to the beach for sunbathes can reveal your hickey to everyone. So we advise you to do it alone, if you do not want to answer unpleasant questions.
Warning: Solarium and sunbaths are strongly prohibited to those people who are suffering from different skin problems. If you are not sure if you have a skin disorder, please contact your doctor before taking sunbaths and going to solarium.
The twentieth method: Eat strawberries
Strawberries contain lots of salicylic acid. This acid has a strong blood fluidifying effect, so it can remove excessive blood from an area of a hickey.
Warning: Be sure that you do not have allergy to strawberries. Anyway, do not eat more that 1 kilo of strawberries in two days, as you can get a negative reaction of your organism.
That’s how you can hide or cure your hickey. The methods are very different and they are of different nature. Some of them are proven by years and humans’ experience, others have a scientific proves. Anyway, if you cannot get rid of your hickey, you can try to alternate the methods or mix them with each other.
However, the top one method to get rid of a hickey is not to get it. Yes, we understand, that situations may differ, but you can always warn your beloved person that you do not want such proves of his or her love.
At worst, when you are caught with a hickey and asked a question about it and you do not want to tell the truth, you can explain a hickey as it is a bruise: you were hit or injured by something.