How to get rid of hickeys: only working methods that will surely return your skin to norm
4.5 (90%) 4 votes
If you read this article, probably, you have got one trouble. Yes, a hickey is, maybe, the most unpleasant consequence of love. For somebody a hickey is a reason for pride or boasting. For others it is a real problem and they want a hickey vanish as soon as possible. As a matter of fact, a hickey is an inner haematoma without skin damages.
Here we have gathered the most popular and traditional ways of getting rid of hickeys. They are equally good for both situations: right after a too passionate kiss and in some time passed. We must warn you about one thing before you read this article: if you have any blood clothing disorders, it is necessary to call a doctor immediately in order to avoid bigger problems.
If you are “bitten”, a good way to get rid of hickey faster is to get some ice. Put some ice cubes into plastic bag or cover them into towel. Tenderly apply this cooling compress to your skin for maximum 20 minutes.
Then remove the compress for a couple of minutes and repeat applying. Instead of ice you can use anything made of metal (for example, a spoon) put into freezer, but you will need to put it back to freezer again right after every procedure. Besides, a spoon must be pressed to the hickey stronger, than a compress.
Warning: This method is good only if your hickey is on your neck or near it. Otherwise it is not recommended as you can freeze some of your organs and get sick. Remember to cover ice cubes with something as you can cut your skin with sharp edges.
The second method: Brush your hickey
Well, it is a strange method, but many people swear that it works. Take a toothbrush or a hairbrush and tenderly rub your hickey and an area surrounding it. Do not rub aggressively, as you will only make a hickey larger. Rub it for five minutes and then wait 15 minutes. Redness and a swallow will become larger, but in additional 15 minutes they will disappear.
Then you have to apply a cooling compress, as it has been described above. You can repeat a procedure if you need. Depending on the size of your hickey this technique can help you or make a spot little wider. As you understand, the trick is to make blood flow faster in the hickey to remove excessive blood from tissue.
Warning: It is necessary to use a clean brush; otherwise it is a risk to get an infection.
The third method: A lucky coin
Maybe, this way to get rid of hickeys is the most painful and the strangest. You have to stretch your skin affected by hickey. Then take a coin and begin to rub your skin with its ridge. Imagine that your skin is a toast and you have to spear some butter on it with a coin. Do not press on your skin too heavily, as you can cause another bleeding; however, you have to make is strong enough.
Related: How to get rid of acne overnight and see dreams simultaneously?
Somebody affirms that this method helps to remove blood from capillaries. The rubbing will cause redness, but it will disappear faster, than a hickey. Anyway, if you need to explain, it is easier to explain redness than a hickey.
Warning: try to clean a coin as better as possible; do not be aggressive, as you can cut your skin.
The sixth method: Cosmetics to cover a hickey
A very effective way to cover your hickey is to use specialized cosmetics with tint properties:
- BB creams;
- Masking pencils;
For example, you can find a special toner with green tint developed to mask redness.
Here are the steps to follow if you want to mask your hickey as a professional:
- Take a small brush;
- Apply some yellow consealer with the brush to an inner part of a hickey;
- Apply green toner to an external part of a hickey;
- They you have to apply some liquid powder to a hickey to remove an impression that you are trying to hide something.
Warning: Use only approved cosmetics. We advise you to follow all prescriptions and check yourself for a probable allergy for the components. Do not use too much cosmetics, as you can stop up your pores and have further problems.
The seventh method: Clothes or hair
It is another effective way to cover your hickey. Wear high collars, scarves, shirts or blouses. You can also make some experiments with jewelry to attract everybody to other parts of your body.
However, there are some tips that you should follow:
- Wear clothes that will attract an attention to other parts of your body, but not to a hickey;
- Do not wear anything interesting on your neck;
- It is obvious that if you wear a sweater, for example, in July, you will be too attractive.
Warning: try to get clothes that let your skin breathe.
The tenth method: Fresh potatoes
Potato is a great vegetable that has a famous curing property. It is used to get rid of different problems, including hickeys.
Here is a recipe:
- Cut some rounds from potato;
- Apply one potato round to a hickey;
- Keep it for 20 minutes;
- Then change a potato round for another;
- If you want, you can massage a hickey;
- Repeat the whole procedure for an hour every day.
Warning: use only fresh and ripe potatoes. Green potatoes contain poison, and rot ones can contain dangerous germs.
The eleventh method: Aloe
If you grow an aloe in your place, you are a lucky person. Cut some aloe leaves and brew it with vodka for some hours.
After infusion is ready, moisten some pieces of cloth with it and make a compress. Keep the compress on your hickey for maximum 10 minutes.
Warning: Be 100% sure that you have an aloe, but not something else. If you are not sure about a plant, do not use it for curing and ask a professional for help. Do not use any plant for curing that are not mentioned here.
The thirteenth method: Cabbage leafs
Simple cabbage is a very popular vegetable among alternative medicine fans. It is considered as a great remover of effects of bruises and injuries. Just apply a cabbage leaf to your hickey and wait for an hour. You can repeat the procedure if it is needed.
Warning: If you are not sure that you are going to use cabbage, do not perform this method. Carefully clean leafs from any dirt before applying it to your skin.
The sixteenth method: Garlic and onion mixture
These vegetables are known in alternative medicine. They can remove swelling and redness and cure your hickey at all.
Here is the recipe of a hickey curing compress:
- Take equal amounts of garlic, onion and salt.
- You cave to chop or powder the ingredients to get a homogeneous after mixing them. It is better to use blender.
- Then take a piece of cloth and put a paste on it.
- Apply this compress to your hickey. Don’t forget to put a cloth between a compress and skin in order to avoid burns.
If you do not have blender or one of the ingredients, you can just apply some cut onion or garlic to your skin for a short time as an alternative to the method.
Warning: Garlic and onion can harm your skin because of different substances they contain. It is dangerous to apply a compress for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise there is a risk to get a serious burn. Do not repeat this method more than once a day.
The seventeenth method: Anti-bruise medicines
This method is very good, as nowadays you can find any kind of medicine you need. Some anti-trauma creams can help you with hickeys. Usually they have to be applied to the skin two or three times a day.
They can remove pain (for the cases of extreme hickeys), swelling and redness. However, even this method cannot guarantee you a very fast effect, so, maybe, you will need to mix it with other methods of hiding your hickeys.
Warning: Please read all the prescriptions to the medicines. Check yourself for a probable allergy to components. Use only approved and certified kinds of medicines.
The eighteenth method: Solarium or sunbath
It is a good method of hiding a hickey. Your skin’s color will become equal everywhere. However, going to solarium can be an expensive way, and going to the beach for sunbathes can reveal your hickey to everyone. So we advise you to do it alone, if you do not want to answer unpleasant questions.
Warning: Solarium and sunbaths are strongly prohibited to those people who are suffering from different skin problems. If you are not sure if you have a skin disorder, please contact your doctor before taking sunbaths and going to solarium.
The twentieth method: Eat strawberries
Strawberries contain lots of salicylic acid. This acid has a strong blood fluidifying effect, so it can remove excessive blood from an area of a hickey.
Warning: Be sure that you do not have allergy to strawberries. Anyway, do not eat more that 1 kilo of strawberries in two days, as you can get a negative reaction of your organism.
That’s how you can hide or cure your hickey. The methods are very different and they are of different nature. Some of them are proven by years and humans’ experience, others have a scientific proves. Anyway, if you cannot get rid of your hickey, you can try to alternate the methods or mix them with each other.
However, the top one method to get rid of a hickey is not to get it. Yes, we understand, that situations may differ, but you can always warn your beloved person that you do not want such proves of his or her love.
At worst, when you are caught with a hickey and asked a question about it and you do not want to tell the truth, you can explain a hickey as it is a bruise: you were hit or injured by something.
What Causes Hickey?
What is the real and foremost cause of hickey or bruises isn’t very complicated to be answered.
- When your partner or spouse goes all kinky and tries to show affection by the help of sadist acts like sucking any part of your body and making a mark their because of no blood flow for a certain time, hickeys take place.
- Other ways to get hickeys is when you are not sure about the next step and you suddenly throw yourself on someone and causes bruise unintentionally. It also happens when the partner in bed is more into pain than pleasure.
- According to researchers, men are more active in making or giving hickeys. They are prompt, spontaneous and stern in the compassion for their female partner.
- When they take a portion of skin in their mouths and suck it hard while other bedroom activities, they leave a mark on the body.
- The harder they suck, the deeper hickey would appear which will not go in just few hours. It is also said that men are good in making hickeys and women are good in receiving them. As compared to teenagers, older adults are more prone on getting hickeys. It is because of the thin layer of skin.
Symptoms Of Hickey:
Symptoms of any disease or medical condition makes it easy for people to understand them in a better way. Likewise, hickeys or love bites have some symptoms which can make you recognize if the bruise is due to hickey or any other thing.
- The shape and size is relatively different than any other reason of bruising. It is mostly the size of the area sucked.
- At times, when teeth are hooked on the skin sucked, they leave their mark and makes it visible and less difficult for others to understand the cause of it. This also helps as to the nature of bruising.
- On the funny side, hickeys are usually found and seen in odd places where others might not get bruises. They are in the armpit, shoulder, buttocks and neck. However, other reasons of bruises can be seen on cheeks and less abnormal places.
- Another symptom which determines it of a hickey or a love bite is the timings and discoloration. When a bruise or hickey is fresh it is usually blackish purple. It means that the bite is freshly made. If the color is reddish and not blackish it makes an effect of a day old. However, if it is pale and dim in color the love bite or hickey was made more than 3 days ago.
- Medically speaking, severe sucking or biting onto the skin may make a person paralyze and can lead to very serious condition.
- Swelling, soreness, bumpy elevated skin can be taken as a symptom of love bite – hickey.
- Blood congeals and can lead its way to hematoma.
Also Read How To Get Rid Of Razor Burn Fast
Treatment Of Hickey:
Hickey or love bites are common and are also known for the mark of love. At times when they are made or given, days and the meetings or plans fixed for them are not taken into account. But what you should to avoid them or in other words get them treated holds importance in one way or the other.
There are two types of treatment to everything. First one is simply by taking pills or medical treatment. Whereas, second one deals with home remedies. Which one is better and what makes them better is frequently asked. Well, obviously home remedies are more likeable and applied as compared to medical treatments. Some basic formulas which help in treating hickeys by the help of medications are:
- When someone makes a love bite or hickey which intentionally or unintentionally results in pain certain painkillers should be taken. Aspirin is considered good in eliminating pain. Panadol fort can also work as a substitute. If pain is unbearable, you should seek doctor’s help.
- When the love bite has made a cut which is not deep, it should be washed with Dettol or any antibacterial formula and then should be wrapped with a bandage.
- If the cut is deep and it bleeds continuously, the person should go to hospital ASAP. Doctor will see the cut and decide if it needs stitching or not.
- Vitamin K, zinc and Vitamin C helps in prevention from clotting.
- If you think the blood flow is getting heavy and is not as light as it normally is, you should take Excedrin. It helps in smoothening blood around the effected bruised skin.
How to Get Rid of a Hickey Fast or Extremely Fast
While very few methods or cures for getting rid of hickey bruises work almost instantly, most of these methods will give you fairly good results and your hickey will be gone in a relatively short time. Home remedies and treatments include cold spoons, toothpaste, and bottle caps. Toothbrushes and combs are also used to heal love bite bruises faster or immediately.
According to the Home Remedies Organization (see sources at the end), toothpaste works as a fast remedy for hickey bites and bruises because it fades the discoloration and makes the swelling disappear faster. It is also effective in calming inflammation. But which toothpaste should you use to heal bruises fast or in a day?
A website called What Is a Hickey recommends mint toothpaste and lotions that contain peppermint because they help increase the circulation of blood that will treat the hickey fast. Here’s how to use toothpaste on a hickey bruise.
Toothpaste that has mint can help soothe hickey bruises fast
- Take a small amount of mint toothpaste or peppermint oil or lotion.
- Apply to the area with a hickey or love bite mark – lips, neck, around mouth and chest.
- There should be a tingling feeling on the skin. Allow it to sit for some time until the tingling subsides.
- Wash off the toothpaste after with a towel dampened with warm water.
If you want to get rid of hickeys fast in a day or just 24 hours, you might need to repeat these steps a few times in the same day. However, be careful because overdoing it will cause irritation on the skin, which might be bad especially if you have a soft and sensitive skin.
2. Use parsley to get rid of hickeys in a day, 24 hours or by tomorrow
Pressure bruises are worse because of the inflammation that they cause on the skin. Parsley is known to be one of the best remedies for hickeys because of its powerful anti-inflammatory properties. According to WH Foods, parsley contains a concentration of Vitamin C.
Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, which makes it capable of getting rid of hickeys in a day. After applying parsley leaves on your skin, face, lip or mouth area, the bruise will be gone a day after or by tomorrow. Here’s how to use it.
- Take fresh parsley leaves and crush them in a bowl.
- Apply and spread the crushed leaves over the area that is affected and leave it on for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water.
Some people claim that this parsley hickey remedy is quick enough that it gets rid of deep hickeys or the dark blue marks within hours.
3. How to get rid of a hickey quickly with a spoon
Why cold spoons? And how do they heal hickeys that fast? From the understanding of what these bruises are, a simple remedy such as cold compress or warm compress can be applied. Hickeys are a type of minor blood clot or minor internal bleeding.
Hickeys on the face can be removed with a cold spoon compress. Image source – Whatisahickey.com
In order to remove a love bite quick or almost instantly, the best way is to break down the clot and allow blood to flow in the area affected. Cold spoon remedy is one of the best ways to break apart the clot and “reduce the bleeding in the ruptured capillaries by constricting them.” [Source – How Hunter]
- Put a stainless steel spoon in a fridge for 10 minutes to freeze it or make it cold enough.
- Place the spoon onto the hickey on the face, neck, lip or breast area and gently massage the area for about two minutes.
- If the spoon warms up, put it in the fridge again and repeat the procedure three to four times in order to quickly get rid of hickeys on the face, forehead or wherever it is.
4. Can a coin get rid of hickeys instantly?
Another instant method of removing hickeys is using a coin. It has been touted to be one of the quickest ways to clear bruises. What a coin does is that it will make the hickey mark look like a scrape and not a kissing mark. This is a great method to clear hickeys instantly before work.
Since using a penny for hickeys is not a treatment or way of healing the bad bruise, it is more of a concealing method or if you like, one of the best ways to hide hickeys in minutes. Here’s how to use a coin for this.
- Hold and stretch the area affected so that the skin is well stretched out.
- Using a large coin or penny, scrape outwards to distort the hickey mark.
- Spread the deep blood clot outwards so that it ends up looking like a scrape mark and not a kissing lips mark.
Note, this may be the right way to hide hickeys but only on some areas of the skin. Do not use a coin on your lips or around the mouth. Also, make sure the coin is clean or sterilized to avoid getting a skin infection from it.
How to get rid of a hickey overnight
Overnight remedies hickey bruises include some natural treatments and homemade cures such as rubbing alcohol, aloe vera treatment, vitamin K and warm compress. If you have a fresh hickey that has been there for just a few hours and you want to remove it overnight, here are 3 fastest ways to get rid of it.
Use rubbing alcohol
According to Top Home Remedies, this remedy can remove bruises in a matter of 24 hours. Rubbing alcohol is known to have not only soothing and cooling but also disinfecting properties. So, how do you use rubbing alcohol to heal a hickey fast?
- Dampen a cotton ball using rubbing alcohol.
- Dab it on the neck, forehead, lips or mouth area with the hickey.
- Massage the area gently using the cotton ball for a few minutes.
- Apply a good moisturizer on your skin to cancel the drying effect of rubbing alcohol.
You can use this treatment two or three times a day in order to get rid of the hickey overnight or within 24 hours.
A banana peel natural remedy for hickey bruises
To minimize the appearance of hickeys on your skin, take advantage of the cooling and soothing properties of bananas. When the bruise is broken down due to the cooling effect of the peels and the potassium effect, the hickey marks will disappear fast or within a day.
- Get a ripe banana and peel it to get the peels.
- Cut the peels to a good size as you see comfortable to apply on the hickey.
- You may put the peels in a refrigerator to cool them. This is optional though.
- Place the banana peels on the bruise for about 20 minutes, making sure the inside of the peel gets in contact with the bruise.
- Repeat this procedure two or three times in order to heal the hickey overnight.
Use a bottle cap to get rid of a hickey easily on forehead, face, neck, chin, chest, and cheek
Hickey bite marks on the forehead, on the face, neck, and chin are common. While healing it will be the ultimate goal, you may want to just distort the whole scar in a few minutes or within the hour. Bottle caps work almost like coins. If you do not have a bottle cap, you can use a chapstick cap or a lipstick cap.
Cold spoon compresses get rid of bruises fast
- Ensure you have a small cylindrical cap for this method. A lipstick cap or chapstick cap can also do if you do not have a bottle top or cap.
- Place it right on the bruised area on the face, neck, cheek or chest.
- Put pressure on the cap by pressing down into the skin.
- As you apply the pressure, twist the cap so that the skin also twists with it.
- Keep the twisted cap (with skin) in position for a few seconds before releasing.
- Repeat just a few times within fifteen minutes to get rid of a hickey fast.
Note that while the pressure is necessary, ensure you do not overdo it because you can easily worsen the bruise.
Combing or brushing gently on and around hickeys gets rid of them because it helps stimulate blood flow around it. As the blood flows, it restores nutrient supply to the area making it heal faster. Within a night, the hickey will have gone. Here’s how to use a brush to get rid of a hickey right away or ASAP.
- Obtain a toothbrush that has strong bristles.
- Brush the hickey on the skin with it making sure you apply some pressure. Do not overdo the pressure as it will break your skin and cause bleeding.
- Do it the right way and the hickey will be gone in a few hours.
What is a Hickey?
For those who don’t know, a hickey, which is also known as a love bite or a kiss mark is actually a bruise caused by sucking, biting, or aggressively kissing the soft skin typically around the neck. When your love mate aggressively kisses your neck area, your capillaries around that area will break, letting the blood seep out into the surrounding tissue.
So, hickeys are actually broken blood vessels just under the surface of your skin that blood has come out of. Initially, it will be red, after some time it will become darker purple and when it starts healing, it will be brown in color.
Don’t be afraid, a hickey is not a permanent mark. It usually fades with time and doesn’t leave any scar behind. If you don’t treat hickeys, they’ll typically last nearly 5-12 days. But, if you want to treat them faster because of emergency situations, we have some time-tested remedies for you.
A Lady having a love bite in her neck area. Image Source: http://mycampustalk.com/
You May Also Like – How to give a hickey?