How to get a new birth certificate

For any and all additional information, please call our office at:




Office hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Responsible for registering all births, civil unions, domestic partnerships, marriages and deaths in the City of New Brunswick

The following information pertains to Vital Statistics:

  • Certified copies of births, civil unions, domestic partnerships, marriages, and deaths
  • Applications for civil unions and marriages
  • Filing of domestic partnerships
  • Modifications of all vital records

Our fees are as follows:

– First copy is $25.– Any additional copies of the same record ordered on the same day are $5 each.

There are three ways to obtain certified copies:

  • In person: Our address is 78 Bayard St. (Bayard St. is off of George St.; City Hall is on the left hand side after the TD Bank. Parking is behind the building. There is a guard at the security booth, tell them you are going to the Health Dept. and they will direct you to our office.) Acceptable methods of payment are cash, money order, certified check, or debit cards with an additional fee of $2.50.

*Identity must be established through a valid driver’s license, valid passport or valid State or Federal ID

  • By mail: The mailing address is: New Brunswick Health Dept, PO Box 269, New Brunswick, NJ 08903-0269 Acceptable methods of payment are money order or certified checks made out to the City of New Brunswick. Credit cards w/ expiration date are acceptable with an additional cost of $7 charged through your credit card. Photo copies of ID must be submitted along with request.
  • Online: The City of New Brunswick does not accept credit cards for online orders. However, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service, VitalChek Network, Inc.VitalChek can be reached by clicking here.

An additional fee of $7 is charged by VitalChek for using this service. All major credit cards are accepted, including American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa.

Related text  How to dab

Individuals eligible to obtain certified copies of vital records:

The individual of legal age, the parents of, a brother or sister of legal age (with proof of their relationship, i.e. certified copy of birth certificate showing parents’ names), the spouse/partner (with proof of civil union, domestic partnership or marriage certificate), the child of legal age (with proof of their relationship i.e. certified copy of birth certificate showing parents names), the grandchild of legal age (with proof of their relationship i.e. certified copies of birth certificate showing parents and grandparents names), the legal guardian/representative (with proper court documents within a 2 year period)

Required Identification:

  • A valid photo driver’s license showing your CURRENT address and signature
  • If a valid photo driver’s license is not available, two of the following are necessary
  • A non-photo drivers license
  • County ID
  • Passport
  • Vehicle registration and/or insurance card
  • Copy of utility bill, bank statement
  • Proof of signature is required

The Records Request form can be downloaded by clicking here and looking under “Vital Statistics” portion of the Department of Social Services webpage.

When filling out a request form, the information provided must be exact and complete as it appears on the original record. Please provide a phone number where you can be reached should a problem arise.

If you wish to apply for a civil union/marriage license the following is needed:

Applicants must call and make an appointment: (732) 745-5018/(732) 745-5061

  • Application can be made where either party resides with proof
  • Both parties may be present; if applying separately, the same witness must be present
  • 18 years of age
  • Provide social security numbers (which will be kept confidential)
  • Witness 18 years of age or older
  • Fee of $28
Related text  How to plant grass seed

Suggested additional items:

  • Birth certificate
  • If you were in a former union, and it was legally dissolved, final decrees
  • If by death, certified copy of death certificate
  • You may also complete the applications on the State of New Jersey’s website. You must follow the instructions on this site. There is a three day waiting period before the license can be issued. If a time waiver is necessary, it must be granted by a Superior Court Judge.

To complete a Domestic Partnership:

  • Each partner must sign in front of a notary an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership (Affidavits are available from any local registrars office)
  • Partners must be 62 years of age and of opposite sex
  • Share a common residence or member of NJ State Retirement System
  • Jointly responsible for each others common welfare
  • Not in any other commitment recognized by NJ Law
  • Notarized Affidavit must be taken to any local registrars office to be filed and purchase a certificate of Domestic Partnership
  • Fee of $28
Like this post? Please share to your friends: