When you’re the youngest person in the room, or in the minority in some way, or just new to your role and trying to make the best impression possible, sometimes it feels like you aren’t being taken seriously at work.
I often hear from people who worry about not being considered a serious player in the office. Young women seem to suffer the most – at least, I’m most aware of it affecting that group – but it seems to hit everyone at some point.
Getting taken seriously at the office is something that you can work on. It isn’t always easy to build a sense of gravitas (especially when faced with more senior colleagues) but you can get better at coming across in a way that makes people take you more seriously.
Here are tips from 6 experts to try.
2. What was your favorite childhood toy?
She may not respond immediately, but if it is slightly persuaded you will surely get a good laugh. Moreover, this question will introduce you to a gentle soul, worthy of attention.
3. What was the best gift you’ve ever given to someone?
things to ask a girl
You can’t afford to miss bringing out this question if you are really serious about asking interesting questions. This is another opportunity for her to boast about herself and a great way to see how attentive she is when it comes to others.
Further Reading: 8 First-Date Ideas / 34 First Date Questions
4. What is the most embarrassing that happened to you in primary school?
funny questions to ask a girl
Start with her funniest incident if you do not wish to embarrass her, and then continue. It is important that she realizes that the most important thing to you is to find out everything related to her and that, also, you want to have perfect a fun time on your date. (via)
5. What would you grab if your house was on fire?
best questions to ask a girl
This is a good way to figure out her life priorities. Maybe she is someone who binds to things, so it would be good to know what and why they are important to her.
Maybe she will give you the perfect explanation for how would she act in such circumstances, and that could make you happier than what your expectations were. (via)
Further Reading: 10 Questions to Ask a Girl You Are in Love With
6. What is your destination for the trip of your dreams?
interesting questions to ask a girl
Still confused about what to ask a girl? Ask her this question! Besides that you’ll find out whether your desires are similar, you are going to leave a good impression. How? Because your sweetheart would think that you want to travel with her somewhere, and it’s always tempting to girls.
7. When you were little, what did you want to be when you grow up? And do you still want it?
questions to ask a girl you like
You’ll find out what are her life’s ambitions – perhaps she has achieved what she, as a small girl, set as a target. Such seemingly silly and childish questions can help a lot to know what kind of person is in front of you.
Further Reading: 20 Questions To Get To Know Someone
8. If you got stuck in the elevator and was forced to listen to only one song, which would it be?
Taste in music says a lot about people, and this is a far more interesting way of commenting on music than classical, which is her favorite band.
9. What was your worst job?
Interesting stories about horrible bosses and colleagues, there is always a good subject for conversation, especially if you have a similar experience in that field.
Ask her about her work, although perhaps it is boring and nobody is interested too much.
She will feel good because finally there is someone with whom she can talk about what she does. Certainly, one of the good questions to ask someone you like.
Further Reading: 10 Questions A Guy Should Never Ask A Girl
10. What is the best advice anyone has ever given you?
She may not want to answer you if the advice applies to you – men. But if she is proud, because she has accepted that advice and acted on it, she will certainly tell you about that as something that makes her proud of and what meant a lot in her life. (via)
11. Which social game was your favorite while growing up?
questions to ask a girl to get to know her
If love is born between you, and you become a couple, you will never be bored. If nothing else, you are going to entertain along with your favorite social game and enjoy the time spent together.
In case you do become a couple, make sure to check out these love quotes. They are the perfect ones to describe your love for her.
Further Reading: Deep Questions To Ask Your Girlfriend
12. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
questions to ask a girl over text
This question is similar to that where she would like to travel. People aspire to live somewhere where they aren’t often, and where they can travel only sometimes. This question can spread the story out all night, and probably will include many other topics.
14. Would you go out with me …?
questions to ask a girl to see if she likes you
On this question to ask your crush, you can freely add an activity in which typically girls do not find something too interesting – certainly, honorable exceptions – e.g.,… in the shop of computer equipment or a sports equipment or some sports competition.
If she cares about you, she will keep you company, and you will return the favor, I am sure. Maybe you will go shopping with her, or you finish watching a romantic movie of her taste. Relationships are based on compromises, and if you want to take a while, make an effort.
Further Reading: 21 Questions Game
15. What have you learned from your past relationship?
Personal questions to ask a girl
You want to see what she respects in the relationship and to the boys. You will discover she still has some feelings for her ex. And what kind of person they were. Do not despair if she praises and mentions their good qualities because it means that she knows what it’s worth, as the lady with a soft heart. (via)
16. What is the most important thing that guys should understand about the girl, and it seems to you that they do not understand?
personal questions to ask your girlfriend
Get ready, the answer to this question should teach you a lot. But, make sure not to go into the debate at least on the first date, because perhaps the second one will never happen. Even though it is a good question to ask a girl, you can avoid this you don’t want to hear anything bad about us guys!
17. Who is your best friend?
Questions To Ask A Girl About Her Friends
A good friend will always support her dreams and to be a more beautiful part of her life. True friendship means selfless giving and taking. Good friends are those who work together to solve many of life’s questions. If there are quality people next to her, then she’s just the same. Another should be asked no matter what question, in our list of 21 questions to ask a girl. Further Reading: The Hardest Would You Rather Questions
19. With what phrases were guys trying to conquer you with?
dating questions to ask a girl
This will make you laugh a lot, and it will be clear to her that she is dealing with a humorous guy. A good question to ask a girl, which you definitely cannot afford to miss.
20. What does your name mean?
If a girl has a strange and very unusual name, she would love that somebody asks her what it means. It’s a thoughtful way to let her know that this person is interested in her.
Therefore, if you go out with the girl that has an unusual name, be sure to ask her what it means. No doubt about it, another one of the great questions to ask a girl.
21. If you could jump into a pool full of something, what would it be?
Fun Questions To Ask A Girl
She can say anything, a pool full of money, candies, stuffed animals, etc.. And this will be sufficient for you to deduce what kind of person she might be. (via)
You can also Download Questions to Ask a Girl PDF (without commentary)
30 Good Questions to Ask a Girl
1. Which perfume do you use? You smell so nice!
2. Where did you buy that pretty dress from? It looks gorgeous on you.
3. Where did you get your hair done from? The hairstyle looks great on you.
4. You are so intelligent. Which school do you attend?
5. Did you get your awesome sense of humor from your dad?
6. Which style icon do you follow? Your fashion sense is truly enviable.
7. Your skin is so smooth and flawless, which skin care regime do you follow?
8. Do you work out regularly? You look so healthy and perfect.
9. Do you read a lot of books? Because you are so knowledgeable.
10. Do you learn music or are you naturally gifted?
11. I like your company a lot; can I hang out more with you and get to know you better?
12. I like your personality, can we be friends?
13. Isn’t the weather good to have a nice cup of coffee?
14. What do you like doing the most over weekends?
15. You look a little off, would you like me to get you an ice-cream of your choice?
16. Your bag looks heavy; would you let me carry it for you?
17. Can I call you when I feel like hearing your voice?
18. Can you help me out with this homework/assignment?
19. I am weak on this subject, would you mind teaching it to me?
20. I would like to talk to you; can I have a few minutes of your time?
21. The seat beside you is unoccupied; can I have a seat there?
22. I am new here; can you show me around the area?
23. I hate eating alone; can I join you and your friends for lunch?
24. I have tickets for your favorite band; would you like to go with me?
25. Which genre of movie do you like to watch the most?
26. Which subject do you love the most? And why?
27. Would you go out with me?
28. Who do you consider as an inspiration in your life?
29. What is your favorite color?
30. Whom do you love the most?
Quickly Jump To: Q’s to ask a Girl on Your First Date
Q’s to Ask a Girl to Know her Better
Q’s to ask a Girl to Make Her Laugh
Q’s to Ask a Girl for Better Conversation
Q’s to ask a Girl know her family and friends
Flirty Things to Say to a Girl to Make her Fall for You
Questions You Should Never Ask a Girl
Thought-provoking Deep Questions to Ask a Girl
Show Her You’re A Leader
Women are attracted to powerful, successful men.
This means that, whether they’re aware of it or not, when you’re in a roomful of other men, women are scanning the crowd to figure out who is the real leader in the mix.
To get her attention, show her your an alpha male – it’s not just about proving that you’re a good “caretaker,” it’s showing that you’re the most dominant of all the other men in the room.
It doesn’t matter how much money you actually have in your bank account when it comes to how to get any girl – what matters is how well you can pull off a suave, confident attitude.
To accomplish this, we recommend:
- Being the one in your group to order for the table and the one who asks for the check
- Picking out exactly where you want to sit and then staking your claim out at the table
- Suggesting places to go next (showing that you know your way around your city)
- Bringing up your accomplishments (in a subtle way) at the table
3. Look the Part
Looking right for the situation is really important. No one will take you seriously if you turn up to a meeting in a track suit – unless you’re a sports coach. “Young women need to slow down their walk and talk,” says Debra Benton, an executive coach and author of .
She also advises keeping your head level, not tilted to one side (something I have difficulty with), and not bobbing along either. But it’s more than just body language – how you dress is also important. Women should “dress to the level above who they report to,” she says, without letting their dress be more interesting then they are. Look out for how women at your boss’s level and higher dress and take your cues from them.
Having said that, Kat Griffin from the fab website Corporette was interviewed for Business Insider and she said that advice is out of date. I’m inclined to think that she has a point. Look at what people above you are wearing and then use your professional judgement and a bit of common sense to see whether that’s something you can copy or not.
This is a great video about the power of body language: it doesn’t just affect how others see you, it changes how you see yourself.
6. Network – in a Work-Related Way
“Don’t let your social networks define you at work,” says James Lee, President of the Lee Strategy Group. “Eliminate provocative poses in pictures and cut the pop culture references on your feeds.” You’ve done that already, right?
Get your privacy settings right too. “Build a work view on your social networks,” Lee advises. “Become activist on non-profit and business-related causes and Fan Pages [on Facebook]. Share links on articles of interest.”
Lee is another one who advises learning the management bonding language of sports. I was once advised to learn how to play golf for networking purposes by a senior manager – and I left that team soon afterwards. You can find office cultures that don’t rely on you having to know the scores from weekend matches.
Not sure how to network? Grab my ebook on how to do it in real life.
Don’t Be Crushed by Imposter Syndrome
Not being taken seriously, combined with the feeling that you really don’t know if you deserve your success (that’s Imposter Syndrome), conspire to make women less successful at work than they really should be.
You’re responsible for overcoming that. The bottom line – in my opinion – is that if you aren’t taken seriously, and you know you are doing all the right things, then that company isn’t for you. Don’t struggle to change organisational culture on a one-woman crusade. Find somewhere where you can flourish, and where people treat you in the professional way you expect.
Start by building your personal confidence and crushing Imposter Syndrome. My 100+ page ebook will help with the strategies you need to start owning your place at the table.