How to Setup Xbox One Game Sharing
- Find a friend that loves to buy his/her video games digitally. This only works for digitally purchased games so games you have on disc will not be downloadable by the other Xbox.
- Find a friend that you trust with your passwords, or that you can meet in-person to sign-in on their Xbox One. In order to setup gamesharing, your Gamertag must be setup on both Xbox One’s (and subsequently, your friends Gamertag has to be setup on both as well), so I wouldn’t just try to game share with a stranger on the internet, as you have to give this person your password in order to set this up.
- ADD NEW account to your Xbox One and sign-in with your friend’s Gamertag and password.
- Make sure you are SIGNED-IN as your friend.
- Go to SETTINGS > MY XBOX > MY HOME XBOX and select “Make this my Home Xbox”. This will set your friend’s Gamertag/Xbox as your “Home Xbox”, thus giving you access to all of his digital game purchases.
- Have your friend repeat steps 3 – 5 on their Xbox One using your Gamertag and password.
- Once you’ve set the “Home Xbox” on an individual console, you can log out of your friends Gamertag (or have your friend log out of yours), and you can log back into your own.
- All of your available games (both you and your friend’s) will then appear in the “READY TO INSTALL” section of the “MY GAMES & APPS” screen.
Once you’ve setup everything outlined in the steps above you can download and install any of the games purchased by you and your friend to either console and you will be able to play it as if you purchased the game yourself.
1) Add a New Account
The first step you have to take to enable game sharing for your Xbox One is finding a second account that you would like to share games with. Once you have the account name and password, you’ll want to add a new account to the Xbox One by navigating to the left menu, selecting the profiles tab, and then choosing “Add and Manage”. Once you have selected “Add and Manage”, it will bring up a menu where you can add (+) a new account. Log in with that new account, and make sure it logged in to.
2) Make This Xbox ‘My Home Xbox’
After you have logged in with the account you’re going to game share with, navigate to Settings>Personalization>My Home Xbox. Here you can choose to make this Xbox “My Home Xbox” to enable game sharing with this Xbox.
3) Apply Security Settings (Optional)
There are many ways you can use game share with a friend or family member. You can log in once, have the other person download the games, and log out. Or, you can keep both accounts logged in, allowing two people to share new purchase between the accounts.
Some Other Stuff:
- Two people can play a game simultaneously – it’s like having your own copy of the game.
- You can change your password after logging in on a different console – the games that have already been downloaded will still be playable.
- You can only game share with one person – if you decide to change who you are game sharing with, the first person you were sharing with will lose access.
- There is a limit of 3 times per year that you are allowed to change “My Home Xbox”. Make sure to use them wisely.
Have you had any luck sharing games with your friends? Let us know in the comment section below!
Don’t forget to subscribe to XboxDIY.com on YouTube and follow us for news and other cool stuff on Twitter.