How to disable Cortana in Windows 10?
As one of the best digital assistants, Microsoft Cortana has been considerably helpful in our daily life and work. However, Cortana collects various information to know you, such as your contacts, text messages, locations, in order to better help you with the tasks. So there are privacy issue with Cortana in Windows 10.
But don’t worry! You can completely disable Cortana in Windows 10. This article introduces how to disable Cortana in Windows 10, including Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Home. Check it out.
Prevent Cortana From Knowing Personal Information
In case you don’t prefer to disable Cortana Windows 10 completely, then there is even an option to prevent it from knowing personal information or your habits.
Step 1: Click on the Cortana icon or the search box available next to the search key.
Step 2: Open settings-→ turn off all the options by toggling it from on to off.
Step 3: Scroll to the top end of the settings and click on Change What Cortana knows about me in the cloud.
Step 4: Microsoft will fetch the page of personal information.
Step 5: Once loaded, scroll to the bottom and hit clear.
Learn more about Windows 10 tips, tricks, and tweaks.
To make it easier while accessing the system, Cortana also analyses and remembers your talking and typing habits. You can even turn off this by following these steps.
Step 1: Click on start-→settings gear icon.
Step 2: Hit privacy to find speech, inking & typing.
Step 3: Select stop getting to know me.
This option will disable dictation feature across Windows 10.
Also, read about these 10 best viruses for Windows 10.
How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10?
There are multiple methods to Turn off Cortana in Windows 10. The default “Turn OFF Cortana” option from Windows 10 is literally useless, because this will not stop Cortana from gathering your personal data. There are some technical methods to Turn off Cortana windows 10 within few seconds.
Method 1: Use Registry Editor
The Registry Editor is one of the most powerful system tools provided by Microsoft. With the Registry Editor, You can turn ON or OFF any of the software programs or services installed in the Windows computer. Here are the steps that’ll help you to learn how to disable Cortana in Windows 10 with the help of Registry Editor.
- First of all, open the RUN window by pressing “Windows Key + R” key combination on Keyboard.
- In the RUN window, type “regedit” and press ENTER to open the Registry Editor.
- In the Registry Editor, navigate to the path ”HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search”.
- Now in the Windows Search folder, right-click in the right-pane and select “New >> DWORD (32-Bit) value”.
- In the new Value window, name the value as “AllowCortana” and enter the Value as “” and then click on “Save”.
- After creating a new DWORD (32-Bit) value, you have to Restart your computer to let these changes take effect.
After a restart, you will not spot Cortana running in the background and collecting your personal data. That’s how to disable Cortana permanently in Windows 10 with the help of Registry Editor. You can disable Cortana windows 10 with the help of Group Policy Editor too.
Do Read: How to Fix Cortana Not Working Problem in Windows 10
Method 2: Use Group Policy Editor
Just like the Registry Editor, the Group Policy Editor is one of the most powerful system tools. Here are the steps, that’ll provide the answer to your question, how to turn off Cortana in windows 10?
- First of all, open the RUN window by pressing “Windows Key + R” key combination on Keyboard. Type “gpedit.msc” in the Window and press ENTER to open Group Policy Editor.
- In the Group Policy Editor, navigate to the following path from the Left-Pane. Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search
All of the services and the background processes are maintained through the Group Policy Editor. If you disable it from the Group Policy Editor, then Cortana will automatically stop collecting the data. That’s how simple using the Group Policy Editor to permanently Disable the Cortana from your computer. After completing these steps, the Windows will not able to gather your personal data through the Cortana Background services.
Method 3: Rename the Source Folder/Files
The Windows 10 is just the operating system software, which is not smart enough to do things on its own. If You disable the name of Cortana Destination Folder or the Cortana file itself, then the Windows will not find the Assistant and will not be able to run it again. So, Renaming the folders and files is the best thing you can do and learn how to turn off Cortana in windows.
- First of all, open the Task Manager by pressing “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” key combination on the keyboard.
- Switch to the “Services” tab in Task Manager and Find “Cortana”. the service and select “Open file Location”.
- This will open the Cortana Destination Folder. Select the Folder with “Cortana” name. Right-click on the folder to rename it with any name you want. You can rename the folder with gibberish words or your name.
- Now, Go back to Task Manager, Right Click on “Cortana” service and select “End Task”.
Method 1 – Disable Cortana completely via Registry In Windows 10
1 – Press Windows key + R to open RUN.
2 – Now, type regedit in it and hit enter.
3 – Now, Once the registry editor window opens up, browse to the following location from the left side menu.
- Windows Search
4 – If you do not find “Windows Search” key (folder) when you expand the Windows folder, then right-click the on the Windows folder and select New > Key. Name it “Windows Search”.
5 – Right-click the on “Windows Search” key (folder) just created in the left pane and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
6 – Double click Name the value “AllowCortana”.
7 – Now, Double-click on it and set the value to “”.
8 – Close the registry editor and restart your PC to finally get rid of cortana on your PC.
Note: – To enable Cortana Again , just browse to the said location above in Registry editor and change the value to 1.