If you deleted your Instagram account and you want to recover it, you must know that according to Instagram’s policy, you can’t get back your previous account nor the username that you used before. However, if you disabled it temporarily, you can reactivate an account at any time.
If you decide to delete your account instead of disabling it, you won’t be able to reactivate it.
- Open your Instagram App. To reactivate an account that has been disabled temporarily, you simply have to log onto your account again.
- This action appears very simple, but it can be more complex than it seems. Instagram is very strict about reactivating accounts.
- You must also consider that if you deactivate your account temporarily, Instagram disables it only for one week.
- Enter your username and password. If these credentials successfully restore your disabled account, that means that your account is active again!
If on the other hand, this step didn’t work out and you couldn’t sign in, you will need to reset your password.
How do I temporarily deactivate my Instagram account?
As I told you at the beginning, if instead of choosing to delete your profile forever, you just want to deactivate it for a while, you can do it too. To do this, the steps to follow are as follows:
1. Login to your account
First, you must log in to the user you wish to deactivate by entering the email address you used to register him/her and the corresponding password.
If you do not remember your password, click on the link “Forgot your password?” and follow the steps that the application will indicate to us.
2. Go edit your profile
Once you are inside your profile, go to it and select the “Edit Profile” option, which you can easily recognize with the sprocket icon.Important note: In order to disable your Instagram, you must log in from your mobile browser, PC or Mac. If you do this from your smartphone’s App, this option will not appear.
3. Select the “Deactivate account” option
Within its options, you must go to the bottom right and click on the “Temporarily deactivate my account” link.
4. Answer the final questionnaire
After clicking on the above link, the application will ask you for the reason you want to disable it. Among the reasons you can select are:
- I need a break.
- I’m concerned about privacy.
- I’ve created another one.
- I want to remove certain content.
- It takes up too much of my time.
5. Temporarily disable your account
Once you have selected the reason, we will only have to click on “Temporarily disable my account” and it will be inactive.
When an account is inactive, it is not visible to any other Instagram user so it will appear to have been deleted for all intents and purposes.To reactivate your profile you only need to log back in to Instagram with your details.
Remember that account deactivation can only be done once a week, so don’t try it repeatedly, or the platform may take it as a spam-like action.
Reset your Instagram password
If you couldn’t reactivate your account by logging in, you can try a second option: Reset your password.
Actually, if you don’t remember what your passcode was, this is also how you can recover it or change it for the future.
- Click on the link “forgot password?” below the log in button.
- Enter your username or the email address used to create your Instagram account. If you entered the info correctly, you will receive an email with the steps to reset your passcode.
If you are already logged into your account and you want to change your password, you must access settings from your user profile. Tap on the three dots located on the top right corner of the screen. You will immediately find the option “Change Password”.
Avoid violating Instagram’s community guidelines
You can avoid getting your account deactivated by publishing videos or photos that are aligned with the community guidelines established by this platform. These are some of them:
Post photos and videos that belong to you, that is, content that you can claim as yours.
Any photo or video that you upload must be appropriate for all ages. Don’t share sexual or violent content or nude images. Besides, avoid content that could encourage self-injury.
Be respectful with other members
Don’t send spam: Repetitive comments are not allowed, neither is manipulating the service for commercial purposes, discount codes or web pages.
If you don’t follow the rules below, Instagram can terminate your account without previous notice:
- You must be at least 13 years old
- You must not sell or transfer your account to someone else
- You must not ask for information to access other accounts
- You may not post violent, discriminatory or sexual content
- You must not send spam to other users
- Don’t create accounts by non-authorized means like bots or automated devices
- You must not restrict another user from using Instagram
- You must not transfer any virus or code of destructive nature
- You must not access Instagram’s private API
- Never use Instagram for illegal purposes
- You are responsible for any action that happens through your account
- NEVER share your password with anyone, including tools: some apps help you programming your content but some might ask you for your passcode, this is not safe. You can click on this article about how to program on Instagram automatically if you want to know the pros and cons.
Instagram lets you save all the files shared on its platform on your device So, all the photos and videos uploaded on Instagram will also be saved on your cell phone.
What happens if after following these steps you don’t recover your account?
If you couldn’t get access after following all these steps, the best you can do is to contact Instagram directly to know what’s going on. You can get in touch with them through the following:
- Enter Instagram’s Help Center from the Internet: You can report broken features here, find instructions or report accounts that violate Instagram’s rules.
- From your account you can tap on the option “something’s not working”. If you can’t log into your account, click on “I can’t log in” to find the instructions to restore your account.
- Access to the Privacy and Safety Center and click on the option “Report Something” and you will be able to report the problem with other users or your own account.
- Open Instagram Facebook page. You can go to www.facebook.com/instagramEnglish. This is the best way to send a direct message, since there is no support email.
To make sure you get a response from Instagram, there are a few things that you should consider when you write the message:
- Try not to sound upset: there are more probabilities that you will receive an answer if you send a clear and impartial message.
- Be specific: Don’t say simply “I can’t log in”. Try to be clear and state the problem and the measures you took to try to solve the problem.
- Add a screen shot with the problem: This will help the support team to understand the problem
- Make sure you include your username (but don’t add your password)
- Don’t wait for an answer.
How to reactivate an Instagram account? was last modified: September 7th, 2018 by
Disable an Instagram account
You can also choose to disable an Instagram account, in this case the account is not actually deleted and can be restored later by the user.
- Open Instagram.com website on a web browser and log in.
- Tap on the User button located on top right side of the screen, then tap on Edit Profile.
- Scroll down and tap on the ‘Temporarily disable my account’ option from the bottom right.
- Select an option from ‘Why are you disabling your account option‘ drop down menu.
- Renter your password and tap on the ‘Temporarily Disable Account‘ button.
That is it. Now you have temporarily disabled or permanently deleted your Instagram account based on which steps you followed.
Permanently Delete Your Instagram Account
Just know, once this process is complete, you will no longer be able to use this username or add it to another account. No deleted accounts will be reactivated by Instagram.
- On your web browser, go to the Delete Your Account page
- Sign into your account, if you’re not already
- Pick an option from the drop down menu titled: ‘Why are you deleting your account?’ (see below)
- Once you’ve selected a reason, you’ll be asked to re-enter your password
- Click ‘Permanently delete my account’
Lastly, if you are unaware of your login information, you’ll need it before you can complete this process. For security reasons, Instagram will not delete an account for you.
Don’t know your account information?
Instagram has a very helpful page if you can’t login to an account. Check it our here! It covers problems like:
- What to do if a password is forgotten
- How to locate an account without it’s username
- Received a password reset email, but still can’t log in
- Email attached to Instagram account has changed
- Cannot access email used to sign up with Instagram
- What to do if account is disabled
Need more help?
If you just don’t want to do this yourself, we can help. We have all-American based technicians standing by to help you with all things technology! Call us at 877-629-6972 today!
Did we mention we are rated A+ on the Better Business Bureau!
How to delete your Instagram account method 1: On mobile IOS
To delete your Instagram account using mobile, follow these steps:
- Open the Instagram app. This will take you to the home page.
- Tap the profile icon in the bottom right corner of your screen. (If you have a profile picture, you’ll tap your profile picture instead)
- Tap the three dots icon in your profile. The option is located in the top right corner. This will take you to the Instagram settings.
- Scroll down until you find ”Instagram help centre”. This option is almost at the very bottom of the page under the title ”Support”.
- Tap ”Managing your account”.
- Now, choose ”delete your account”.
- Tap ”How do I delete my account” in the drop-down menu.
- This will expand the text and give you more information about how to delete your Instagram account.
- Now, tap the link with the anchor text ”the Delete your Account page”. This will take you to a new page which prompts you to log in to your account.
- Log in to your account by typing in your username or email address, then type in your password.
- Fill in a reason why you want to delete your Instagram account. To do this, tap the drop-menu and select the reason. If you don’t want to state a reason or, you can choose ”Something else”.
- Now, re-enter your password by typing in your password in the text field one more time. This will confirm that you want to permanently delete your Instagram account.
- Lastly, tap the big button which says ”Permanently delete my account” This will. This will open a pop-up window which asks you to confirm.
- Tap ”OK”.
- Your Instagram account has been deleted.
If you wish to delete another account, click on your username at the top right of the page Remove your account and select Sign out. Log in to on to the account you want to remove, and then follow the directions above.
How to delete your Instagram account method 2: On a desktop
If you prefer, you can delete your Instagram account on a desktop instead. To do so, follow these steps:
If you want, you can go to the Instagram delete account page directly here: https://www.instagram.com/accounts/remove/request/permanent/
- Open up your browser and go to https://help.instagram.com
- Log in to your Instagram account.
- Click the profile icon in the top right corner.
- Click ”Edit profile” which can be found in your profile.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page where you’ll find ”Temporarily deactivate my account”.
- Now, you’ll have a URL in your browser. Tap the URL and change ”Temporary” to to ”permanent”.
- This will take you to the page which I linked above.
- Here, choose the reason you are deleting your Instagram account.
- Now, type in your password.
- Tap The red button at the bottom of the page saying ”Permanently delete my account”.
- Follow the remaining steps.
- Your account has now been deleted