Sending group email in outlook is simple with GroupMail’s Free Group Email Software.
Microsoft Outlook and Group Email
Microsoft’s own email client Outlook, provides you with the ability to create a contact Group (Outlook 2010) or distribution list within your address book.
This allows you to send a group email in Outlook to a contact group, which goes to all recipients within the group. You can find out more on Microsoft’s own site: Create and edit a Contact Group.
However, if you need more sophisticated features such as the ability to segment your list and target specific contacts, schedule a series of emails to your group, or send personalised individual emails to the group, then GroupMail is just what you need.
GroupMail Business Edition customers can link a GroupMail group to an Outlook Address Book, any changes made to your Outlook contacts will then be automatically updated in GroupMail.
Then, as with any GroupMail group, you can send a personalised group email, fast, easy and privately to your Outlook group.
GroupMail Outlook Toolbar
Group Email in Outlook
In addition, the GroupMail Outlook Toolbar allows you to add and delete recipients from your GroupMail groups from Outlook. It also allows you to launch GroupMail, create a new GroupMail Message and forward emails that you receive in Outlook to your GroupMail groups.
Want to try it out: Download GroupMail for Free.
Create a Contact Group in Outlook: Instructions
- To create a contact group in Outlook, open the “People” folder.
- Then click the “Home” tab in the Ribbon.
- Then click the “New Contact Group” button in the “New” button group to open the “Contact Group” window.
- Type a name for the group into the “Name:” field at the top of the window.
- Then click the “Add Members” button in the “Members” group on the “Contact Group” tab within the Ribbon.
- Then select the “From Outlook Contacts” command from the drop-down menu to open the “Select Members” dialog box.
- The names of the contacts within your “Contacts” folder appear in this window.
- Select any contact from this list that you want to add to the contact group.
- Then click the “Members” button to move them into the field at the bottom of this window.
- Alternatively, double-click a name to add it to the “Members” field.
- This field contains the names of the contact group members.
- Repeat this process to add all the desired members to the contact group.
- Then click the “OK” button in the “Select Members” dialog box.
- The names of the members then appear in the “Contact Group” window.
- To save the contact group, click the “Save and Close” button in the “Actions” group on the “Contact Group” tab in the Ribbon of the “Contact Group” window.
Tutorial: How to set up mass email campaigns in Outlook
You can send personalized mass email via Outlook, using the mail merge function as follows:
- To create a mass email list with Outlook, go to “People” and select all those contacts to whom you wish to send the email.
- Now go back to “Home” and select “Mail Merge” from the “Actions” group. This will open the “Merge Contacts” dialog box.
- Choose “Only selected contacts”.
- In the “merge to” selection box, select the “email” option.
- In the “Message subject line” box, enter your chosen subject line.
- Click “ok”. Microsoft Word will then open automatically.
- From the “Mailings” tab, go to “Greeting line”.
- Here you can decide how you want to greet your recipients. Once you click “ok”, a greeting placeholder will be added to the Word document.
- Next, write the text you want to include in the body of the email and then click “Finish & Merge”.
- Select the “Send email messages” option and re-enter your desired subject line in the “subject line” text box.
- If you haven’t previously deactivated automatic sending, your Outlook email will now be sent to the selected recipients when you click “Ok”.
Sending mass email via Outlook has both advantages and disadvantages. One of the main advantages is that no extra newsletter tool is needed. However, this is also a drawback: newsletters created in Outlook may not display correctly.
Different versions of Outlook use different engines. So if a recipient has an older version than you, for example, your personalized mass email will most likely be displayed incorrectly. If this happens repeatedly, the recipient will no longer want to open and read your emails – which is of course bad news for your email marketing strategy.
Your subscribers expect content that offers added value and also speaks to their individual preferences and interests. That’s why personalization is so important. However, Outlook doesn’t offer any personalization tools.
If you send mass emails via Outlook, it’s safe to assume that the large majority will end up in the spam folder. This is not only bad news for your open rates; it can also have a lasting impact on your reputation. Too many spam complaints may result in your IP address being added to a blacklist, which will lead to permanent delivery problems.
Get more tips on how to optimize your emails for Outlook here.
You can also send mail merge emails with with attachments in Outlook. Both the recipient and the file location are specified in the source file, and a special macro is defined in the email attachment field. The email will then be sent to all recipients.
Another disadvantage when it comes to Outlook is that you are somewhat limited in terms of creativity and design. Unlike a professional newsletter software, Outlook doesn’t come with any ready-made templates. What’s more, you can only use the fonts that are available in the system. You are also restricted when using specifications such as float, margin or padding.
Email marketing with Newsletter2Go
Professional newsletter tools offer a variety of practical features for professional email marketing.
As more and more users are accessing their emails on-the-go, your newsletters need to be optimized for mobile devices. With Newsletter2Go, you can easily create responsive design newsletters which automatically adapt to different screen sizes.
With Newsletter2Go, you also have a variety of templates to choose from. Each template has been tested in more than 30 different email clients, so you can be sure your emails will display correctly.
Personalization is also incredibly easy. Send each subscriber a tailor-made email with relevant content, thanks to custom design blocks and personalized placeholders.
With Newsletter2Go, you also get the added benefit of whitelisted servers. Any mass emails sent via our servers will go straight to the recipient’s inbox – bypassing increasingly stringent spam filters. This helps to ensure optimal delivery rates.
Not only can you create and securely send mass email with Newsletter2Go – you can also measure your campaign performance. All the most important KPIs, such as open and click rate, are automatically tracked and presented for each newsletter you send. See how well your emails are doing at any time, and quickly identify any areas for improvement.