- 1 ½ cups jovial einkorn wheat berries
- 3 cups water
- Bring 3 cups of water to a rolling boil
- Add 1 ½ cups of einkorn wheat berries and simmer on low for 30-35 minutes.
- Yields 3 cups.
Get Jovial recipes, coupons, and more:
How do you cook wheat berries?
My package of wheat berries says to soak them overnight, but I found out by accident (and then confirmed online) that that’s not necessary. To make 4 servings, combine a cup of wheat berries with 3 cups of water, stock, or broth (I really like cooking wheat berries in broth!) in a large pot, bring it to a boil, reduce heat to low and then simmer covered for about 50 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid.
What can you do with wheat berries?
You can add them to salads or soups! Use them instead of rice or other grains! They’re great when tossed with a simple vinaigrette, salt and pepper, and roasted vegetables. Just about any vegetable will work, so this is a great way to use what’s in season.
In this recipe, I’ve roasted Brussels sprouts with shallots and walnuts and added them to a batch of wheat berries. I used a light lemon vinaigrette, but one made with vinegar and oil would work just as well. You can serve this as a side dish, but it’s also filling enough that it can be served as a healthy meal.
So are we excited about whole grains in 2013?! (I’ll pretend you said yes!)
A delicious way to eat whole grains! Wheat berries tossed with roasted brussels sprouts, shallots, walnuts and a lemon vinaigrette.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 as main dish, 6 as side dish
- 1 c. red wheat berries
- 3 c. vegetable broth
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/4 c. walnut pieces
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- salt + pepper to taste
- Combine wheat berries and vegetable broth in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until tender, about 50 minutes. Drain off excess liquid. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- While wheat berries are cooking, start Brussels sprouts. Toss Brussels sprouts, shallots, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large bowl. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned, stirring halfway through cooking time. Remove from oven and stir in walnut pieces (they will toast on the hot baking sheet!).
- Whisk together lemon juice, zest, remaining oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add wheat berries and roasted vegetables; toss to combine, then serve.
brussels sproutsmain dishesside disheswheat berries