Ok, so hopefully you’ve gone thru the exercise of changing your “Default YouTube Channel Name” already. However, there is still work to be done to get your YouTube channel further customized. In this exercise, I will be changing our “YouTube Channel Display Name“.
1- Go to your new YouTube channel at https://www.YouTube.com/
To change this you’ll have to disconnect your Youtube channel “from” your Google+ account first!
2- Click your NAME in the upper right hand corner (see screen shot) and the following menus will pop down
3- To do this you’ll need to go into your YOUTUBE SETTINGS (see per screen)
4- You will see next to your avatar the option, “RETURN NAME TO _____ AND DISCONNECT GOOGLE+ PROFILE”
5- Click that, then click OK
This will then tell you that your channel name is no longer connected with your G+ profile. As you can see from the screen YT makes sure that you know what your options here are. In my case I will making the profile less personal and more in tune with my site name
The “Channel Display Name” name has now changed to the “Channel Name” (name used in URL string)
Now what you will find is that the isolated YouTube channel still wants you to connect it now to a Google+ page (yes there is this need within Google to want things to connect together, of which you can do by connecting it with a Google+ page or ignoring it for now)You also have the option of modifying your name if you don’t want the one that you use in your “Channel Name” (per screen shot). This action though does create a Google+ PAGE that it associates with (so you get one regardless if you wanted it or not!)
If you don’t like this then it still gives this option afterwords “Temporarily disconnect Google+ page and use your Youtube username)
Either or, it really would like the YouTube channel to be connect to a G+ PAGE or G+ user profile
Note: Each change may have a 20 minute delay
Remember that you can always go back to that ADVANCED option to modify. Once your in that section, YT usually provides a link to what your options are
After selecting the blue tab, you should see a notification in green that confirms you’ve successfully created a custom URL for your YouTube channel.
You can now use this URL to lead people towards your channel page. You can even use it on branded merchandise (t-shirts) or your business card for effective promotion. Use these quick steps to help you change your YouTube channel’s URL!
How to Change Your YouTube Name?
- Login to your YouTube account. If you’re owning multiple channels then switch to the channel which you want to rename.
- Click on your profile picture and further click the gear icon as show below.
- Beside your channel name click on edit on Google+ to change your YouTube Name.
- This will open the Google plus page which is linked to your channel.
- Now you can simply edit your name and save it.
Using this method you can easily change your YouTube channel name but if you have already used a custom channel URL then you can’t change it. But it really doesn’t matters that you need your channel name in your channel URL until you are going to print the channel URL on your business card. If you anyhow want to change your channels URL then the only way is by creating a new channel and uploading all your videos back again.
One thing I would like to recommend is don’t delete the channel, simply add a video to tell your audience that this channel has been shifted and you can subscribe to our other channel.
But in case if you have made your mind then here’s how to migrate your old YouTube account to a new one.
Note this method will result loss in channels views, subscribers, likes, comment and everything related to your channel. Although I will recommend this method for those guys whose channel is in bad standing.
- First you need to download all your channel videos. You can use a YouTube video downloader software or download videos manually without using any software.
- You can also make backup of all videos Title, Description and tags in a text file if possible.
- Once you have downloaded all your videos. Go to your account settings by clicking your profile picture and selecting the gear icon.
- In settings click on Advanced and further scroll down and select Delete channel.
- It will navigate you to another page, Click I want to permanently delete my content and select everything as show below.
- Now click the Delete my content button and you’re done.
- You can now create a new channel with the desired name you want and upload all your videos back again.
Change Youtube Channel Name Without Changing Gmail
The process of changing the name only on youtube without affecting other Google services like Gmail or Google+ can be tricky. The basic solution is that you should want to create a secondary channel then you will be pretty able to change only the youtube channel name. See the below pic for reference.
You know the fact that changing the name on Youtube affects all Google branches like Gmail or Google+. But is it possible to use a name on Gmail other than the same name on Youtube?
It is possible but tricky.
1. Log into your Gmail account.
2. Click Profile icon at the top-right corner of the screen then select Settings.
3. Select Settings from the menu.
4. Click Accounts and Import.
5. Click “edit info” right to “Send mail as” section,
6. In the new window, click the radio button and enter your desired name for your Gmail account.
7. Click Save Changes.
The below single pic will illustrate all the above steps to use a different name on Gmail.
You have seen three different methods for changing your channel name in Youtube. Hopefully, all methods were fairly easy to follow. You have also learned how to use a different name on Gmail without actually using the same name on youtube.
I know some of the above steps are tricky but don’t hesitate to ask in a comment. I am happy to help you change your old name to brandable name for your channel.
Consider sharing this article on social media account if this article is helped you.