You may want to change IP address in case your IP is currently blocked by a website or service and you are not able to access that website/service. Whatever maybe the reason, you certainly can change your IP address by following the steps mentioned in this post.
What is an IP Address?
IP address follows a 32-bit numeral format. It is basically an identity that a device receives when it connects to the Internet. The same ID is used on the network to communicate amongst devices on a network.
In fact, the website addresses you remember easily are actually based on IP addresses. IPv4 (Internet Protocol version 4) is currently the most common IP format used around the globe. However, in coming years, IPv6 will become the common IP format in the world, which uses the 128-bit numerical system.
Image Credit: FCC.Gov
Why Should You Care About the IP Address?
Before we teach you how you can change or hide the IP Address on Android devices, let’s take a quick look at the dangers associated with having your real IP exposed.
- You Can’t Access Region-Locked Content: There are many reasons why a country would restrict certain online material. Regardless of the reason, they restrict the content by blocking it on the IP your ISP assigns.
- You are Prone to Cyberattacks: When you use your real IP on a network, anyone who knows your IP can easily launch a cyberattack on your device. These cyberattacks may range from security exploits to privacy breaches to full blown DDoS attacks.
- You Can’t Use Your Rights to Free Speech: Freedom of speech is becoming a difficult thing to exercise these days. For instance, if you make any controversial comment against an authority, you can be tracked through your real IP even if you use a pseudo profile.
How to Change Your Android’s IP Address
Now that we know why as an Android user you need to change your IP address, here are the steps you need to take to do that.
How to Find Your Android Device’s IP Address (Local IP)
- Go to the Settings
- Scroll down and tap About Phone
- Now, tap Status
- Scroll down and you will see both the local IP and Mac address of your Android device
With the above steps, you can find out the local IP address of your Android. However, if you want to learn about your public IP address, check it on https://www.purevpn.com/what-is-my-ip or https://whatismyipaddress.com/. You can also learn multiple ways to find your IP address or different operating systems.