Changing a username for a social media account sounds like an easy process. Go to the settings, look up for username and edit it, that’s what comes to our mind when we think of changing username. Snapchat users try to do the same and they fail. Unfortunately, the functionality to change your username is not available in Snapchat. However, there is a display name in Snapchat that you can change.
Follow the steps mentioned below to change your display name:
- Open Snapchat on your mobile.
- Tap on the profile icon which you will find on the top left of your screen.
- A page will appear with your snap code, and all other information like your Snapchat score, active stories and sun sign.
- Right underneath the snap code will be your display name. Tap on it.
- A pop up will appear telling you the name by which you appear to your friends on Snapchat. You can change or modify the name and save it.
- The name you save will appear to your friends on Snapchat. This name will be displayed when you send snaps to your friends as well as on your story on Snapchat. You can change your display name anytime.
Your friends on Snapchat mostly see your display name and hardly anyone sees your username. If you want to see a friend’s Snapchat username, then you will have to open their chat and tap on the hamburger icon on the top left corner. Tapping on it will show you their display name in black color and right underneath the display name, you might see their username written in a light grey color with the font size significantly lower than the display name. This might be the only time when you see your friend’s username.
If you really want to change your username, unfortunately there is only one way to do so. You will have to create a new snapchat account. Also keep in mind that you will have to add your friends all over again and you have to re-subscribe to the channels by manually searching for them. This takes a lot of time and energy. Also, you cannot transfer your trophies, score and contacts from your old account to your new account.
Creating a new Snapchat account just for the sake of getting a new username is not justifiable. However, if you are ready to bear the pain of losing your trophies, score and friends, then you can surely create a new Snapchat account to get a new username.
Access Your Snapchat Settings
First to sort out your how to change Snapchat username query all you need to do is to go to the settings and for that click on your profile picture or Bitmoji and then there is a gear icon on the top right corner tap on that.
Add or Edit Your Display Name
The next step as in the answer of your question how to change your Snapchat username is that you will have to enter into the Account setting where you will see the two options related to the name the one is Name and the second is Username moreover both the options will not let you edit but it is just to share or forward. For editing the Snapchat username, go to the Name option tap it then edit the First name and last name by tapping on it, then save the changes.
Also Read: How To Convert Facebook Profile To Facebook Page 2018?
Check Out Your Profile to See Your New Snapchat Username
After saving the changes it will appear on all your friend’s chat and stories in place of your Snapchat username. The answer to your valuable question how to change your Snapchat name is completed here but if your friend click on the hamburger icon during the chat he/she would be able to fetch your complete Snapchat profile summary including the snapcode, name, username, snap score, and chat emojis, and this will also happen if he/she might tap on your display.
Also Read: How To Delete A Gmail Account Permanently
Once you’ve saved your Display Name, you can use the back arrows in the top left of the screen to navigate back to your profile and see that your new name appears beneath your snapcode (above your username and snap score).
Also Read: How To Save Instagram Photos And Download Videos On Android
Delete old Snapchat account
Change Your Snapchat Username
- Click on the gear button on the upper right corner of the screen, then select the Settings menu.
- Scroll down and select Support, located in the “More Information” menu.
Change your Snapchat name
- Choose My Account & Settings.
How to change Snapchat name
- Click on Account Information.
- Click on Delete My Account. If you want to take a new Snapchat name but if you do not want to delete the current one, you can create a new one.
Delete My Account
- Click on the Page button.
- Enter a password to confirm that you want to delete the account.
- Click the Continue button. Your Snapchat account will be deleted for 30 days.
- Open Snapchat. Enter your Snapchat username and password.
- Click on the gear button in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down and select Log Out.
- Click on Sign Up to see instructions on how to create a new Snapchat account.
- Enter your name.
- Click on Sign Up & Accept. Enter your date of birth and select Continue.
- Enter a new Snapchat username.
- Enter your email address which must be different from the email address associated with the old Snapchat account.
- Follow the remaining instructions on the screen.
How to change Snapchat display name
- Open Snapchat. Enter your username and password.
- Click on the gear button at the upper right corner of the screen to open the Settings menu.
- Click on the Name button.
How to change Snapchat username
- Enter a new display name.
- Click Save.
Hope that the information above will help you learn how to change Snapchat username.
Can I Change My Snapchat Username Without Deleting My Account?
Nevertheless, there is a way to change Snapchat username, although it implies that you will have to delete your Snapchat account and create another one. In this sense, these are the steps you have to take:
- You cannot delete your account from the Snapchat app. You must access the app website from a computer or a device with an internet connection and enter this link.
- First of all, remember to write down your important contacts if they are not added to your phone contact list. Otherwise, you will lose them and it will be difficult to recover them, as you must know their exact username.
- Once you’re logged in to the Snapchat website, You will see the list of Menu with the possibility of manage your account.
- In this menu, you must go to Account Settings and then click on Delete Account.
- At this point, you must Login with your account username and password and click on “Delete my account” by entering your password again in the corresponding box.
- You will receive a message saying that the process has been successful and that they will miss you.
- To make sure that the entire process has worked correctly, enter the Snapchat app on your Android or iOS device, and try to open your session with your data. If you cannot, you did everything correctly.
Retrieve an Old Username
Remember that once you have deleted your account, the username you had becomes obsolete and will not be available again on Snapchat. According to the policies of the app, when you delete your data, the username can no longer be used by any other user, so think carefully what you do and take care when deleting your old account.However, you can retrieve your username in Snapchat if you wish. It will only be visible to you, though. The rest of the users won’t be able to see it. You can do it following these steps:
- Enter the “My Friends” menu by moving to the left on the main image capture interface.
- Click on the gear on the top right of the smartphone screen.
- Now type your username in “Edit display name“. Remember that it will only be visible for you.
Why the Username Can’t Be Altered?
Due to the problems of sexting and even harassment that some Snapchat users have suffered due to the different ways of using and misusing the app, the creators decided that it wasn’t good to let people change snapchat username. Although there is another method such as the account change, the policy in this regard is quite restrictive, in order to protect the privacy of those who enjoy this successful messaging and social network application.
New Display Name on Snapchat [ Change Username ]
One of the two methods is to change the Display Name on your Snapchat account. You may be in a mess that how a Display Name can help in converting the username. True? It is a skill, and there is a logic behind that. Though your username remains the same after changing your Display Name, it will not be a piece of cake for your friends to see it. So, go ahead, and follow these steps:
- First of all, open your Snapchat account, and tap on the small Bitmoji icon on the top left side and then click on your profile.
- Secondly, tap the Settings icon, which looks like a gear shape, and goes into it.
- In Settings, you will see the first option as Name and second is the username, which you can’t change. So, pick the former one.
- Choose the Name, and replace it upon your wish, and then click the Save button. After completing the procedure, the latest Display Name will appear in your friends’ stories and chats.
However, they can only see your username when they open a chat with you and click the small icon on the top left side to see a summary of you.
How to delete Snapchat Account from App Permanently
How to Use Snapchat Filter Without Music
Create a New Snapchat Account
Though changing a Display Name can hide your username most of the time, the chances are still there that someone can see it. It is then better for you to make a brand new account. Only, in that case, you can get a new username. To make a new Snapchat account, you need to follow these steps:
- Go to the link snapchat.com and then tap on the Create Account option. Fill out all the required information about you.
- Type your username that you want to keep for the new account. After entering the data, click on the Sign-Up and Accept button.
Making a fresh account doesn’t mean that you have to delete the old one instantly. Your new one will not recover your trophies, chats, or other data of the previous one, but you can manually add friends’ usernames to your latest account one by one.For more information please do visit the support page of Snapchat where they have clearly explained the procedure to reset the username.