Rules for calculating GPA
- Pluses and minuses do not matter. An grade of A+ or A- also counts as an A.
- Only count courses taken after the 9th grade. If you took a summer class before 10th grade, you should count that.
- When deciding between semesters, quarters, and trimesters, do NOT count summer school as one term. For example, a trimester system should consist of a Fall trimester, Winter trimester, and Spring trimester. A quarter system should consist of 2 Fall quarters and 2 Spring quarters. A semester system should consist of 1 Fall semester and 1 Spring semester.
- Honors courses for California students: Get a list of UC honors courses for your high school by going to hs-articulation.ucop.edu/agcourselist and searching for your high school’s name.
- Honors courses for out of state students: AP courses and IB Higher Level courses are counted as UC honors courses. See more detailed rules on this page.
- The weighted GPA includes 1 extra point for each grade received in a UC approved honors course.
- The weighted and capped GPA also includes 1 extra point for each honors grade. However, only up to 8 semesters of honors courses will be awarded honors points. If you have more than 8 semesters of honors grades, then the excess grades will be treated as regular courses. The 8-semester cap is equivalent to 16 quarters or 12 trimesters. Additionally, no more than 4 semesters worth of honors points can be from courses taken in the 10th grade.
- Do not count honors points for failing grades (D or F).
- If you failed and/or retook a course, see the Calculating UC GPA FAQ.
- If you took a-g courses at a community college, include them in your GPA. You should also count community college courses as honors courses if they are eligble for transfer credit. Use this site to look up transfer elibility for California community colleges.
Is my GPA high enough?
Check out the UC Freshmen Admissions Calculator for more information about specific UC schools.
How does this work?
The University of California system has a specific way of determining weighted and capped GPA on a scale from 0 to 4.0, although scores higher than a 4.0 can be attained with honors courses. Each class contributes a number of grade points depending on the grade received. This calculator adds up all of your grade points and takes the average, yielding your GPA.
GPA = (4A + 3B + 2C + 1D + 0F + H) / (A + B + C + D + F)
It's not rocket science, it’s just math! You could, of course, do this on any calculator, but you could come to RogerHub too because it’s cool. (:
How do I do my GPA calculation?
There are a few steps to doing your GPA calculation, but it’s not hard! First, you need to collect your final grades for all of your classes (that is, get your transcript). Then you need to convert each individual grade to its value on your GPA scale. After you convert each letter (or percentile) grade to its numerical value on the GPA scale, you simply need to find the average (GPA is a grade-point “average,” after all).
We’ll lay out all these steps below. Here is the standard scale used for unweighted GPAs:
Again, here are the steps:
- First, collect your grades for all of your classes
- Each class will likely have a “course credit” value, usually 1.0 or 0.5 – this represents how many credits the class is worth based on how much time the class takes up out of the year, *not* a “weight” based on difficulty
- Convert each letter grade to a numerical value on the chart
- Multiply this value by the “course credit” number – for example, an English class worth 1.0 credits with a grade of A is worth 4.0 * 1.0 = 4.0. A Drama class worth 0.5 credits with a grade of A is worth 4.0 * 0.5 = 2.0.
- Let’s call the number you just figured out for each class the “Quality Points” that it is worth. Add together all of the Quality Points you found and get a sum.
- Find the total number of course credits (not just the number of classes) you have taken.Divide the Quality Point sum by the total number of course credits – the number you get is your unweighted GPA.
Nevertheless Pondering Easy methods to Calculate Your GPA in High School? Our Software Allows Reveals You ways To Find Your GPA High School
How to find out high school GPA is actually a straightforward operation at any time you consider one or two minutes to discover it. It does not just take a wizard to learn it and neither are your instructors geniuses who do difficult algorithms so you can get your aggregates. In inescapable fact the method are often put in an algorithm and computerized making sure that all pupils can entry it, a great deal like now we have finished. All you would like to begin are your credits from all classes taken, the grading scale which is becoming utilized by your establishment plus the complete amount of several hours assigned to every study course so you are advantageous to go. Whereas the grading scale may perhaps vary from region to state and from establishment to establishment, the 4.0 scale is utilized by bulk of high faculties in the usa. The theory stays a similar having said that and our calculator is clever adequate to acknowledge this. You can actually manually amend this scale to accommodate your preferences. For occasion, you can easlily amend the scale to ensure as a substitute for an A minus becoming the standard three.sixty seven for the scale, it reads from three.eight or three.five. You could try this for all grades in your procedure. This versatility makes it possible for our calculator for use by pupils from everywhere in the environment and we make ideas on how to calculate your GPA in high school a trivial affair.
Don?t Understand how To receive Your GPA In High School? Introducing The A way to Calculate A GPA In High School Calculator
Once you will have the right grading scheme and also have assigned every of your class grades actions on this scale, the right way to find your high school GPA develops into relatively quick. Obtain the amount of models assigned to every training course which mostly corresponds for the variety of classes or study course hrs assigned every week. If say a study course has five hrs assigned per week, the chance tends to be that it’s got five models assigned to it. Multiply every single study course quality excellent rating via the corresponding study course models and obtain the entire of the metric for all classes. Likewise, obtain the summation of many of the class models. Divide the 2 sums, together with the previous given that the numerator and also the latter as being the denominator. That is certainly tips to get your GPA in high school.
We Demystify Techniques to Calculate High School GPA On the 4.0 Scale. We Also Clearly show You the way to Calculate Cumulative GPA for High School
We have proven you ways to receive your GPA for any structure. For the common 4.0 scale, this really is whatever you must know about grading guidelines:
- A = 4.0 upwards (Some methods could perhaps embrace an A+)
- A- = three.67-3.99
- B+ = three.33-3.67
- B = three.0-3.33
- B- = two.67-3.0
- C+ = two.33-2.67
- C = two.0-2.33
- C- = one.67-2.0
- D+ = one.33-1.67
- D = one.0-1.33
- D- = 0.7
While changing your grades towards the 4.0 scale strategy you should use these to obtain an notion of in which your metrics lie, though we might recommend you to definitely take advice from your scholar affairs company for the particular figures. Tips to calculate high school GPA over a 4.0 scale has not been less difficult.