On JAG we’ve already talked about how you can tell if your message has been read, but how do you know if you’ve been blocked?
Yes, it does happen. Almost all the popular messenger services – iMessage, WhatsApp, Facebook – come with the option to block someone.
If you’re not sure your messages are being delivered, but your signal is fine, then it’s possible you’ve been blocked. Here are some of the signs.
On WhatsApp, there are several ways to tell if you’ve been blocked (although it’s difficult to say for sure).
- Beneath the person’s name is a status update telling you when they were last online. If you’ve been blocked, you won’t see anything
- When you send a message on WhatsApp, there are several ticks that appear on the right-hand side. A single grey tick means that your message hasn’t been delivered, which might mean you’ve been blocked… though it might also mean that the person you’re sending it to hasn’t been able to receive the message yet (e.g. if their phone is off), so by itself it isn’t an indication
- You won’t see any updates to a contact’s profile photo
IOS9 added a phone number blocking feature. On iMessage, it’s much trickier to know if you’ve been blocked, but there are signs to look out for.
- If you’ve been blocked, text messages will send as a blue box and underneath you’ll see the word ‘delivered’. If that word never changes to ‘read’ then it’s possible you’ve either been blocked or ignored… but there’s also a chance they’ve seen the message but not clicked on the thread to mark it as read and reply.
- You could also try calling them. If you’ve been blocked, you’ll go straight through to voicemail after exactly one ring every time
Again, it’s tough to know for sure if you’ve been blocked on Facebook, but there are ways of finding out:
- Search for the person while logged in. If they show up, then you haven’t been blocked, so stop worrying! If they don’t, and you were previously friends on the site, then it could be a sign you’ve been blocked or unfriended – or they’ve left Facebook
- Try searching for the person on Facebook when logged out. If they show up, and they didn’t while you were logged in, then that means they might have changed their settings to stop you (and possibly anyone else) looking for them
- Have you noticed any conversations taking place on your Facebook timeline that seem like they should involve your friend, but their name isn’t appearing? It could be a sign you’ve been blocked
- Check any other social accounts your friend has. Are they still linking to a Facebook account? If they are, and they’re not showing up when you’re logged in, you’ve probably been blocked
Before jumping to conclusions, though, remember that there are often alternative explanations. On Facebook, people sometimes take a break from the site by deactivating their account. On a smartphone, bad signal can affect services like iMessage and WhatsApp.
Let us know if you’ve got any other tips by posting a comment below.
How to Know if I Have Been Blocked on Messenger
If someone blocks you, you do not receive a notification (unless you don’t spy on their Facebook conversations or monitor their iPhone) or a message alerting you about why you were blocked or deleted from their friend’s list. So how you can tell if someone blocked you on Facebook messages?
7 tips to know if someone blocked your messages on Facebook
Here, we have a compiled a simple guide to let you know if someone has blocked you on Facebook messenger.
Tip 1: Open your Facebook Messenger page
Log onto your Messenger account and look for the blue chat bubble icon that should appear on the top icon bar on your menu bar. It contains a white lightning bolt symbol on it. This logo is available on your home screen.
Do keep in mind that when someone blocks you on their messages, it does not mean that they have blocked you on Facebook. When someone prevents you on Messenger, you’ll remain friends with them on Facebook – this means that you’ll be able to view their timeline (where they update their daily activities and location).
When blocked on Messenger, it means that you will not be able to send them any private messages, but you can still interact on Facebook (minus sending private messages). Keep in mind that a user who has blocked you on FB Messenger can unblock you at any time.
Tip 2: Search the search engine
Another smart way to know if someone has blocked you is to search their name in the “search box.” This box is located on the top corner of your homepage. Once you type in a name, it should appear here. You’ll have access to a list of names that match what you’ve typed in.
Tip 3: Tag Them
Now that you’ve found their name from the search results tag them. This will automatically open up a chat where you’ll be able to send them a private message.
Tip 4: Chat them up
Why not try chatting with them directly? Not that you’ve opened up a chat box after tagging them, type out your message in the allocated text box. This table is located at the bottom of that text box. It has a text written, “type a message”.
Tip 5: Send Message
Once you finish typing the text, click on the send icon. This icon has a paper airplane symbol on it – it’ll be located on the bottom right-hand side of your text box. Once the text is sent, wait to see whether it has gone through or not.
If you happen to get a pop-up message with a text saying, “This person is not available right now”, then chances are your messages have been blocked, that person has blocked you out of their Facebook account, or that person has deactivated their FB account.
If your note goes through without a hitch, then it’s been safely delivered.
Tip 6: Check your history
Check your messages to see if you have had prior interactions with that user. If you two have sent texts to each other in the past, then it should show in your inbox.
Expand the message board, and the photo of that user will display the default. If the picture appears in white outline, then it means you are still in contact with the user.
If it appears in black (bold black colour), you’ll see that you are unable to click on that person’s profile – this means that you have been blocked from their contact list.
Tip 7: Check if account was deactivated
If you’ve sent a message and you received an “error message,” then you need to figure out if that particular individual deactivated their account. There are two simple ways to find out if their account is disabled.
If you’re unable to search for their names or you can’t find their profile online, then the account is most likely deactivated, or they have entirely blocked you off. If you do manage to find their account online, but you are unable to access it, then you’ve already been blocked off, sadly.
An excellent way to find out if that specific person is actually off FB is to ask a good friend to view their profile. If that mutual friend is unable to see your pal’s account, then it’s deactivated. However, if they can view it, then you have been blocked.
The good thing about using Facebook Messenger is that it comes comprised with short tutorial tips that pop up for all new beginners. These tips will guide you on how to use this application best – once you get the hang of it, it’s quite simple it is to comprehend.
For more information, do not hesitate to leave us a comment below and we shall get back to you as soon as possible.
How to Find out if Someone has Blocked you on Facebook Messenger was last modified: 2017-10-19T09:33:46+00:00 by
Most likely you have figured out how to hide your friend’s posts. You can hover your mouse over any post on your wall and an “X” will appear in the upper right corner. When you click on it, you’ll get some choices.
- Hide this post
- Hide all posts by the person who posted
- Hide all *insert application name here*. This will only show up is the post is associated with an app, like Farmville. It’s my favorite option as all those application alerts drive me crazy. But, a quick click and you’ll be bothered by Farmville (or Zombieville, Horoscopes, or My Dog Just Ate Dinner etc.) no more.
If the person you want to block is not one of your friends, you won’t get the same option. You won’t see anything at all. You may think you are out of luck, but it isn’t so. You’ll just need to go to your privacy settings to add them to your block list.
- Go to Account –> Privacy Settings
- Select the “Block Lists” section at the bottom of the screen
- In the “Block Users” section you can enter their name (as it appears in Facebook) and/or email address.
- Select “Block”
Once you block someone, that person can no longer be your friend on Facebook or interact with you (except within apps and games you both use and groups you are both a member of). However, you can easily unblock them from the same page if you ever decide you want to see their posts again.
NOTE: Facebook likes to changes things pretty often. So, if you can’t find it they could have moved it into a little different area.
Facebook has introduced Ignore Messages feature in its Messenger platform in order to create a preferential priority in who connects their users.
What this Messenger Ignore Messages (formerly Connection Requests) does is that it moves messages that have been marked as ignored into its folder.
Meanwhile, there is a similar feature on Messenger called Filtered Messages.Filtered messages is similar to Ignore Messages.
In Messenger, older messages that have not been read are marked and moved to Filtered Messages. They almost share the same feature of our conventional SPAM folder in email clients.
Ignore messages option on Facebook Messenger
The two main features of Ignore Messages is to add messages that have been marked by users into its folder and also to intercept new messages from people that are not in your friend lists.
This means that any new messages from people that are not currently in friends with you will be moved to Ignored Message list until you decide to accept them.
Once you accept any message from someone that is not in your Facebook friend list, automatically they become your Messenger contact. Their messages starts appearing on your inbox folder.
How do I Ignore someone on Messenger
ignore Messages on Facebook Messenger / ChuksGuide
- Open Messenger
- Open a chat to ignore
- Tap on the info icon beside Messenger call and video icons
- Scroll down to Ignore Message, then tap on it
- Confirm the action to ignore conversation.
- The chat will immediately be moved to Messenger’s Message Request
You can alternatively do it this way;
- Open Messenger
- Don’t open the chat yet, then tap on the chat to ignore its messages
- Choose Ignore Messages
- Then confirm the option to move chat to Connection Requests
What happens when you Ignore messages on messenger
When you ignore messages on Facebook, the message will be moved from your main Messenger home (inbox) to Messenger ignore list.
You will not be notified by any future messages sent from the person. The messages will be shown when you navigate to Messenger ignore list.
To view people you ignored on Messenger ignore list, click here to learn about it
Unignore messages on Messenger or cancel ignored messages on Messenger
You can cancel any messages that you have ignored on Messenger. We have written a simple guides to cancel messages. Follow the below steps
- Open Messenger
- Tap on the fourth icon at the top on Messenger
- Tap on Connection Requests
- From Connection Requests, you now see list of ignored messages
- Select the message to move to Messenger Main screen
- Tap Reply
- The message will be moved to Messenger main screen
To view more option to cancel ignored messages, click here
Ignored message vs block message
If you have ignored someone on Messenger, they are still in your Messenger contact list, they can still send messages to you but whenever you block someone on Messenger, they will no longer send you messages and have automatically been removed from your Messenger contact if they are not friends with you on Facebook.
Will someone I add to Ignore Messages notice what I did
When you have ignore messages on Messenger, their messages won’t be delivered. Their messages will only be marked as sent (a single light blue check mark) indicating it has been sent only.
Although, they will still see you as active whenever you are online indicating that you are still Messenger contact.
How they will notice is that since their other messages to other friends are delivered and read except yours, normally they will think that you have intentionally ignored them or what we call snub.
How do I check If I am being ignored on messenger
After all days of no message deliver and non-read messages even when you still see them active always then it is simple to assert that your messages have been moved to ignored list.
If you found this post useful, kindly share to your favorite social media with a one click.
Wants to get deeper into how Facebook Security and Privacy works? We have created a 43 page complete security Handbook. Click here to learn more and download your copy or visit our download page.