Thank you for your interest in becoming a foster parent with TCS. Caring for the rising number of abused and neglected children requires a serious commitment. However, the personal satisfaction that comes from providing a stable, nurturing, and secure environment to a child in crisis is beyond measure. Here is how you begin the process:
In Fresno call at (559) 222-5437 and in Visalia call at (559) 623-9124. They can share with you the qualifications, physical requirements of your home and general information needed to become a foster parent.
Attend an Orientation. Please click on the Learning Calendar link to see our next orientation date. Our Orientations are free and open to the public. TCS will support you through your journey!
- Must have compassion and the willingness to nurture a child who is in crisis
- Have space in your home for a child (no more than two children shall share a bedroom)
- Have a valid California Driver’s License and proof of auto insurance
- All adults in the home must pass a fingerprint background check(DOJ, FBI, 7 CACI)
- Complete a general health exam and TB test
- Must be First Aid and CPR certified (we also offer these courses, see the “Calendar” link)
- Basic Water Rescue Training is mandatory if you have a pool, spa, or pond or if you takechildren swimming in an area where there is no lifeguard on duty
Steps To Becoming A Foster Parent
- Attend an Orientation and complete a prospective foster parent questionnaire
- Complete an application
- Attend our 20 hours of Foster/Adopt PRIDE training
- Participate in an interview as part of the certification process
- A home check will be completed by our Foster Parent Recruiter/Trainer
- Our Foster Parent Recruiter/Trainer will write up a Home Study
- Complete all requirements listed above…
Prospective Foster Families
Are you interested in becoming a foster parent in Kentucky through Sunrise Children's Services? Inquire online for more information on becoming a Sunrise foster parent. We need you!
On any given day, there are more than 400,000 children in foster care in the United States. Despite the common perception that the majority of children in foster care are very young, the average age of a child in care is around 8-9 years old. On average, children remain in state care for approximately two years.
In 2016, more than 65,000 children who were living in foster care and waiting to be adopted had their biological parental rights permanently terminated. And, while states should work rapidly to find safe, permanent homes, children spend an average of nearly two years waiting to be adopted by their forever family.
Answering God’s Call
God directs His church to accept the magnificent responsibility and mission to stand in the trenches, fill the huge gaps in child welfare, and reach out to the most vulnerable among us. We must care for those who cannot speak and protect themselves in a world plagued with selfishness, self-destruction, and absolute despair.
Through Christian foster care, Sunrise Children’s Services has answered the call to help individuals who join in this very special ministry of blessings and servanthood, and be His word in action. Sunrise Children’s Services ministry allows our team of dedicated, professional staff to fully connect our history of helping children in crisis to the present in order to build our future in accordance with the Lord’s directive in James 1:27.
We believe no one is more exceptionally equipped and gifted to take an active role in the lives of our Commonwealth’s most abused and neglected as God’s church. God has mandated this role to us and we are called to represent Him and show true life testimony to the fact His grace is sufficient in weakness, and that His mercy and grace will bring the fullness of peace during the most tragic times in life.
We are seeking families to surround a child and invite him or her to experience a community that is the church made real in action, not just in word. Coming to the defense of the broken, showing the love of God to the helpless, creating an environment of love and support for the forgotten and seeking justice in the midst of chaos is the very calling of the church, and Sunrise works to fulfill that calling every day.
Minimum Foster Parent Requirements
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Be a Kentucky resident.
- Have a valid Commonwealth of Kentucky Driver's License.
- Have reliable transportation and automobile insurance.
- Mentally and physically able to care for a child/children.
- Rent a home that is safe and free from hazards.
- Have space for a child or an additional child in your home.
- Willing to complete criminal background and child abuse checks.
- Willing to complete the pre-service training and participate in a home study.
- If you are married, you have you been continuously married to, and living as a family with your current spouse for a minimum of one year. Co-habitating couples are not permitted.
Inquire About Foster Parenting