If you want to make your relationship stronger, healthier and happier, don’t just wish for your guy to be a better man but also work yourself to be a better girl. Be the best girlfriend you can ever be to your boyfriend by following these tips:
1. Appreciate him.What a man deeply desires is the feeling of being appreciated and acknowledged for what he provides. He wants to feel that his efforts become useful, meaningful and successful. When you see and appreciate your guy’s effort even in his most simple ways, it’ll make him feel like the ultimate winner and he will do anything to keep you happy. Try to see his intentions behind an action and appreciate that.
2. Make him feel special. Every girl wants to be treated by their boyfriend as the most special one in this world that most of them have already forgotten to treat their boyfriend the same way too. If you want to be an extraordinary girlfriend who stands out from the rest, make him feel special rather than just waiting for him to make you feel special. Love is giving rather than receiving anyway, isn’t it? So be thoughtful and show him that he’s your priority.
3. Be his adventurous companion. What does your boyfriend want to do for fun? This is an important question, as all lasting relationships need to have an element of fun. Your boyfriend is also longing to explore, be wild and be free. This is the definition of fun for him. He wants his girlfriend to be his companion on his wild adventure. Thus, be willing to take an adventure with him and be aware of where the fun and adventure meter is at in your relationship.
4. Be honest. If your guy asks you what’s wrong, tell him directly. Let him know what you think and what you need. And don’t make him guess what is wrong if there is a problem, because they hate it.
5. Give him space and freedom. A lot of guys feel as if they were in a cage after being in a relationship. Giving him space doesn’t mean your relationship is in jeopardy, but instead it is a necessary boundary for him to have a healthy perspective on the relationship. Your boyfriend also needs a good balance of alone time to process his thoughts and feelings. Let him have his space and free time, in this case he’ll appreciate the time you are together a lot more.
6. Stop nagging, complaining and demanding. Nagging will just make your guy tune out and it won’t get far. Instead, talk and discuss things friendly, there’s always another way to approach things. Guys hate to have a girlfriend who’s always looking for faults and errors. Thus, if you really love a guy, you want him to win, not to lose. So help him by supporting and giving him energy instead of taking it away.
7. Look better than ever before. Of course in the eyes of your loving boyfriend, you are always the most beautiful girl in the world. However, you can always do better. By making efforts to always look nice, clean, and well dressed, your guy will even admire you more. Just remember to know what your man really wants you to wear. If he is more conservative, then you know what to do. It’s not how expensive or how physically attractive you think you will look like but it is how your guy’s eyes, mind and heart will approve.
8. Earn his respect. A better girlfriend doesn’t just demand respect from her guy, but she earns it. Believe in yourself, have a strong personality, and show off your capabilities, it will make your boyfriend respect you for the person you are.
9. Be loyal to him. Just like girls, guys also want to be the only one for their girlfriend. You should not give him causes for jealousy. The best girlfriend should not make eyes at his friends or even get acquainted with other guys in clubs or cafe.
10. Inspire him to be a better man. You cannot make your boyfriend a better man. You cannot force him to be a guy you wanna be. However, you can be a good role model and inspire him to transform into a better person. So if you want him to grow personally and be a more successful person, show him how hard work, patience, diligence and self-discipline work by practicing these virtues yourself first.
11. Be a wife material. Girls may come and go but a girl who’s a wife material is on a different level. There is no better way to be a greater girlfriend than to be a partner who is mature, responsible, and ready to take care of her future children and husband.
Whether you’re in a dating stage or in a relationship with someone, it’s important to know what your boyfriend really needs and how you can keep him. Remember that you are not just a girlfriend, but your role in your boyfriend’s life is important. So now that you already have the knowledge, here’s to being the best girlfriend ever.
ALSO READ: 17 Ways to be the Best Boyfriend to Your Girlfriend
Photo by Brooke Cagle
Questions about the past
The past has a lot of useful information for the present and the future. These questions will help you learn more about your girlfriend’s past relationships so you can learn more about your current relationship. Remember to pick the right time and the right place for serious talks about the past.
Question 5: What was your most serious relationship? How long did it last? Why did it end? What did you like / dislike about him?
Okay, okay, don’t get jealous when she is talking about ex-boyfriends, you’ve got ex’s too. You don’t have to compare her ex’s to yourself. This is great info on what she likes in a relationship and what she doesn’t. Plus, it will tell you more about how she views serious relationships.
Question 6: Have you ever cheated on someone before? What happened?
This one is a land mine so be careful. That being said, it’s a great bit of information to know. I may be wrong on this one, but I think there is a reason people say once a cheater always a cheater. Has she cheated on more than one boyfriend? Well there is a good chance she’ll cheat on you. Same goes for you. I don’t think the rule applies only for women.
Question 7: How much time did you usually spend with ex-boyfriends? Did you think it was too much time, or not enough time? What did you usually do with your ex-boyfriends?
Okay, one more time. Seriously. No getting jealous over ex-boyfriends. Don’t be that guy.
This questions basically lets you know how much distance you should be giving her. Some guys like their girlfriend to be around all the time, and some don’t. Same with girls. Some girls like spending as much time with their boyfriend as they can and some prefer having some distance. It’s just a personal preference.
Just like most of the questions, if your answers match up that’s great. If not, well it’s something to keep in mind. Don’t smother her and don’t give her the cold shoulder.
Questions about her
These questions are all about what she likes. You can keep these in mind to make her happy, or you can see how they compare with your likes and interests.
Question 8: What are the three most annoying things a boyfriend can do? How about the three best things?
Things that annoy her = don’t do those things. Things she likes = try to do those things.
Question 9: What was the most adventurous / crazy thing you have done in the past month? What is the most adventurous / crazy thing you have ever done?
This one will tell you how risk seeking or risk averse she is. If she is a lot more risk seeking than you, you might have to expand your comfort zone. If you are more risk seeking than her, be prepared for the fact she might not want to go with you on adventures. And she might not want you to do risky things either.
Question 10: Do you prefer being outdoors or indoors?
Is she the indoor type and you’re not? Don’t expect her to enjoy being dragged out on camping trips. She the outdoor type and you’re not? Better get some hiking boots. If you are both really different, maybe try compromising and doing cabin trips.
Question 11: What three objects that you own do you value most?
This one you’ll have to read a bit into. Is it something sentimental? She probably has a strong sentimental streak. Something practical? She probably isn’t very sentimental. Is it something expensive or something she can show off? Get ready to say good bye to your money.
This one is also great because it’ll help you get some gift ideas for later. Or at least gift categories. Sentimental, get her something that reminds her of your relationship. Practical, give her something that will help with her hobbies. And so on…
Question 12: What would you do if a close friend started saying mean things about you?
This question lets you know how she deals with conflict. Is she a peacemaker? Does she escalate things? Does she just avoid it?
Chances are she’ll deal with conflicts the same way with you. Maybe she’ll try to make peace, maybe she’ll get furious, maybe she’ll just stop talking to you.
Question 13: What are your three favorite movies and three favorite TV shows? How about your three least favorite movies / TV shows?
This is a surprisingly practical question that will let you know how much you two will enjoy going to see movies together and watching shows together.
Does she watch shows / movies with you that are way out of line with her favorites? She might just be humoring you and watching them because you like them. If that’s the case, she’s probably going to get tired of humoring you and start wanting to watch what she actually likes.
Question 14: What is your idea of a perfect Saturday night?
This one will let you know what she likes to do. Sure she’ll probably do what you want to do for a few Saturday nights, but eventually, as the relationship continues; she is going to want to do what she wants to do. So if you like partying and she doesn’t, or if you like chilling and playing video games and she likes going out. Well, that’s going to be a problem.
1. A good girlfriend makes him feel like his best self
One of my favourite ever movie quotes is in the film As Good As It Gets, when Jack Nicholson says to Helen Hunt, “You make me want to be a better man.”
This is the dream woman every man hopes he will find. A girlfriend who inspires him to be better by believing in him 100% and encouraging him to put himself out there and fulfill his potential.
Of course, that doesn’t mean you can take a lazy, useless guy and live hoping he’ll grow up and take control of his life. It means finding a guy who truly has drive and then being someone who is his greatest teammate (and allowing him to be yours as well!).
5. Be willing to be strong for him sometimes
It’s well-known that men in general like to play the strong role in the relationship.
They like to be able to comfort and take care of you, keep you warm with their jacket, make sure you get home safe, stroke your hair and hug you when you’re feeling emotional or upset.
But occasionally, men love the idea of a woman who lets him be vulnerable without judgment. That is, the girlfriend who is going to look after him and hear him out when he’s not at his best, who is going to pick him up and give him a hug when he feels weak and at the mercy of all of the crap life throws at him.
It might sound cheesey, but men need a woman who makes him feel safe and protected as well. If you become the one person he can really be his vulnerable self around (even if it’s only once in a while), you become irreplaceable to him. He’ll want to be the best man he can be to keep someone as confident and self-assured as you around.